Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What have you discovered through your love of prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What have you discovered through your love of prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2021 at 16:32
I discovered Stravinsky. I like YES.  YES likes Stravinsky. 
I discovered Lady Room's lines at prog concerts are much shorter than pop concerts. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - September 02 2021 at 16:36
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2021 at 17:15
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I discovered Lady Room's lines at prog concerts are much shorter than pop concerts. 

That could be but imo there's still more female prog fans than most people seem to think. I think most just don't hang out on prog websites or facebook groups that much and that gives most of us the impression that there's a really small number of women who are into this kind of music. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 02 2021 at 17:15
Beautiful Scarlet View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beautiful Scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 04:43
alternatively there just are very few female fans….
Music Music Music
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 06:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

That could be but imo there's still more female prog fans than most people seem to think. I think most just don't hang out on prog websites or facebook groups that much and that gives most of us the impression that there's a really small number of women who are into this kind of music. 

Yes concert at Southend - about the only concert I've been to where there was a queue for the Gents and none for the Ladies. Let's just say the audience was predominantly of a certain age.
rik wilson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 13:38
In the late 60's and early 70's; I managed record stores. I got Capt. Beefheart-Trout Mask Replica and at first I liked only a few songs on it. Then, after I realized Zappa was the producer and I listened more closely to what was going on; all the dada lyrics,Ornette Coleman dual horn solos, Zoot Horn Rollo, and even the Mascara Snake.I was emersed and blow away. This heavy metal Detriot rock kid suddenly changed. More accepting, open to new avenues, and jazz. So I moved along till a friend brought by the "new" King Crimson lp,Larks Tongues in Aspic. Once again my mind snapped into attention. I was more than amazed at the variety and power of the music. Completely life changing . I had to turn on everyone to this music . Then, Eno had an interview in the English press, New Musical Express,and he talked about working on his new album,Another Green World, utilizing prog musician I recognized.He said he directed the musicians by color values of the music and verbal commands spontaneously shouted for them to follow;which allowed individual interputations of the musical pieces, allowing space for the music to breathe. ( what? ) After getting a copy of this masterpiece;I was never the same musician or person. Music became fluid for me like paint.Being an artist also contributed to my new musical outlook and set me straight for high musical adventures ,and great listening over the years.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 18:02
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Yes concert at Southend - about the only concert I've been to where there was a queue for the Gents and none for the Ladies. Let's just say the audience was predominantly of a certain age.

Yeah, I've noticed that for the most part most younger Yes fans are prog fans. Many older Yes fans aren't necessarily prog fans. What I mean is I think a lot of younger folks first get into Dream Theater, Haken or prog metal and then find out about Yes later and not the other way around. 

Compared to male fans no there aren't a lot of female prog fans but they are definitely out there. Trust me.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 08 2021 at 18:05
bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 02:02

Yeah, I've noticed that for the most part most younger Yes fans are prog fans. Many older Yes fans aren't necessarily prog fans. What I mean is I think a lot of younger folks first get into Dream Theater, Haken or prog metal and then find out about Yes later and not the other way around. 

Compared to male fans no there aren't a lot of female prog fans but they are definitely out there. Trust me.

I've had a colleague at work for 7+ years, although quite close for some reason we'd never discussed music tastes. She moonlights as a personal trainer (and is in the sort of shape that I can only dream of) so I wrongly assumed her gym playlist was your classic motivational, get-pumped-feel-the-burn selection of modern meh.

One Christmas drinks though, she turned up in a T-Shirt with the Lark's Tongues in Aspic album cover on it that she revealed she bought from Burning Shed. Turns out the gym playlist actually flips between 70s peak era prog and the likes of Porcupine Tree, Phideaux, Big Big Train, Wobbler etc.

Books and covers and all that.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 06:49
Originally posted by Beautiful Scarlet Beautiful Scarlet wrote:

alternatively there just are very few female fans….

I must be in the minority with this.

Firstly, I'm a woman who loves prog, and secondly I've only ever met 2 people in real life who liked prog and they were both women.

Weird.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 15:21
I learned that great music has been made for decades in many non-Anglo-Saxon countries (ie, everywhere but US, UK, Canada). That opened a lot of doors.

Appreciate the OP sharing his story too - quite touching. I’m hetero but I can understand the P Gabriel thing. Always kinda had a “man-crush” on him myself

Edited by HolyMoly - September 12 2021 at 15:22
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 08:44
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

...Yes but that's not what the question is about, and it's still possible to answer it without being "a terrible turnip":) - whatever that means. King Crimson, VdGG, The Residents, Schostacovich, Schubert, Magma, Miles Davis, Mal Waldron, Fairuz or just about any artist I've obsessed over have led me onto new, previously unknown paths. 

Hi,

From our house, there was so much literature that you learned real quick that 30K books of Portuguese, Brazilian and Spanish Literature were NOT a bunch of toilet paper. So by the time that I heard The Beatles, and a lot of other music (was in Brazil then), the "differences" were already so apparent that it took away what we think is "new". Perhaps, I'll admit to the meditative side of the "tripping" material that was longer later when I came to America, but I'm not sure that it made me discover something that I did not already know or understand.

For me, it is all about the "inner experience" and how it can be translated within an artistic form, regardless of which it is. Thus, what we think is "new" often, is more a different interpretation than it is "new".

Most people didn't have parents with a gazillion classical albums and all that, so we'd had to find out about everything pretty much from scratch.
Why do you take for granted that everyone but yourself is a stupid ignorant?

Hi,

In the end, if anyone EVER studies some inner work, you will find that it is all "there" right in front of you, however, the mind did not "register it". Thus, when we finally discover something, often one ends up saying 
something like "I could have done that before".

I do not consider anyone stupid or ignorant. I write with the hope that anyone might be able to see something else in what they are reading, with the exception of the professorios that go around thinking themselves superior and more knowledgeable. I don't measure "stupidity" or "ignorance", and I certainly do not go around saying that I am more this or that than anyone else. 

I write, and say these things, FROM MY EXPERIENCE. Not from some sort of idea that supposedly makes me smarter than anyone else!

Prog, is just music, and you will find "prog" in many musics around the world, with the exception that one is likely to be more conditioned to the westernized music, and sometimes not even have an external ear for something else from another world and country! 

That's all I'm saying, and you might have gotten that idea in school. I should not feel like I have to suggest that at all.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 13:44
I found this thread/discussion to be quite interesting.

One of the aspects of music (not just progressive rock) that has been an interesting discovery for me, is the phenomenon where I strongly dislike a piece of music - find it boring, or unlistenable, or whatever - and then, as if a switch is flipped, I like it.  Or in rarer cases, *love* it.  It never really appears to be a gradual thing with me... it's an abrupt change of heart (or ear, I guess).

It doesn't happen that often, but it does happen.  So when someone says to me "It might take repeated listenings" - haha, I get it.  And hence, I try to keep an open mind, even about all the music that initially turns me off.

The big example for me personally is David Sylvian's "Secrets Of The Beehive."  I bought the CD back around the year 2000 or so, and I bought it based solely off of the rave reviews it had on Amazon.com.

When it arrived and I put it in the hi-fi, it did absolutely ZERO for me.  I listened to it numerous times over the next several months, and always with the same result.

Then literally one day, I put it on, and WHAMMO.  It was like I heard it for the first time.  How does that happen?  That's the baffling part to me.

I don't think it's just repetitive listenings, though certainly one can fall in love with a piece of music if it's all they ever listen to... which happened to me with Paul & Linda McCartney's "Ram."  As a kid, I grew up with that album in the house, and eventually got my own copy as I got older, but it was never a favorite, just sort of pleasant and familiar.

Then, it got stuck in my car's CD player - and I was too lazy to do anything about it, so I listened to Ram for about 6 months straight everyday, over and over (I had a long commute at the time).  I did not get tired of it... I fell in absolute love with it.

But that sudden "flip of a switch" thing... I love it when it happens.
DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 15:05
Also, regarding female prog fans, my wife knows more prog than anyone I've ever met.  Before we married, she owned a prog-rock record store for several years.  When she and I first married, our combined record collection was mind-blowing.  My own collection (which included all genres, classic rock, prog, electronic, jazz, folk, classical) was massive.  Then we married and she brought half her store with her.

We never lived together before marriage, and were actually from different cities (separated by 300+ miles) - so our first month of marriage was nothing but constant prog, bong hits, and sex.

What's funny is, she's no longer into progressive rock anymore.  These days she's listening to stuff like Beck, Hozier, X Ambassadors, etc.  I was playing that "Pram" tune Logan posted about last night, and she was laying in bed reading... but it disturbed her enough to elicit some choice negative words for it, LMAO.

Nevertheless she has an encyclopedic knowledge of prog.

Edited by ProfPanglos - October 08 2021 at 15:07
DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 19:41
That obscure things (not just certain prog music but movies too) could be great. Music could help me through anything. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 05:28
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I've discovered I'm superior and can look down at all the plebs that only listen to 3 minute songs. Pah.

Yeah, but that's because you're well over 6 feet tall. TongueWink

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Just for the record, I'm openly straight, physically wretched and older than most trees.

Ah!! That might explain a few things TongueLOL

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

That music appreciation is essential to my health and well being; without it, I would be not well.

That'sa pretty good one.

I dare imagine that if my first album bought (see the ad-hoc thread) hadn't been "prog", I might've become a mindless mainstream.

Indeed, though hardly an elitist in most entertainment/art forms, early exposiure to prog has led me to never settle for half-baked stuff thrown at the public. Of course it was helping that I was "bonging" (as ProfPangloss puts it LOL) often and disliking the "non-bonging" mainstream.

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,
Without trying to be a terrible turnip ... that there is nothing in it that was not there before, except loudness.
The talent and ability for a lot of music has been around for thousands of years, and us thinking that one particular snot is different than all the rest ... is just tea time talk about the pink flamingos!
Yes but that's not what the question is about, and it's still possible to answer it without being "a terrible turnip":) - whatever that means.

Hey, as the OP said, this is a confession thread... So we've discovered Pedro is a swearing vegetable.
Not that surprising actually, now that one thinks about it. Evil Smile

Originally posted by ProfPanglos ProfPanglos wrote:

We never lived together before marriage, and were actually from different cities (separated by 300+ miles) - so our first month of marriage was nothing but constant prog, bong hits, and sex.

Actually, I did discover that it is possible to have sex with prog music banging on your eardrums

My GF really loves doing it with Anglagard's Hybris on (as long as I skip the opening track)

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Oh damn, I thought you said "porg!"  

PigShocked
I thought this thread is hallal & kosher Evil SmileClown

Edited by Sean Trane - October 11 2021 at 11:22
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 09:47
TBH.....that there are a lot of 'weirdos' that like prog rock and I'm in there somewhere.
Tongue

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 10:47
That I can't afford all that I long for.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2021 at 11:10
That I can like music I didn’t imagine I would some time ago. I stayed comfortably in the symphonic, neo, metal and eclectic genres for a long time, but have lately ventured into different genres and found so much good music. Music that quickly discarded some years ago based on a few samples.

I have discovered that there truly are people out there being progressive and doing new stuff if you look for it. It’s not Yes, IQ or any of the old guard, but relatively unknown bands.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2021 at 22:13
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

So we've discovered Pedro is a swearing vegetable.

The only differences being vegetables are good for you and considerably more coherent
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2021 at 23:10
That Rolling Stone sucks at their lists. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123