Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rating and reviewing albums after just 1 day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paganinio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rating and reviewing albums after just 1 day
    Posted: August 28 2021 at 18:48
Someone I know has been reviewing prog rock albums one day after they come out, sometimes even on the same day they come out. I confronted them about this behavior and their response was, "I already listened to this four times."

Four listens in one day? That's enough?

The ratings range from 3 stars to 5 stars.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2021 at 22:29
I wouldn't be comfortable doing that unless perhaps I had to because it was my job. I'd rather "live" with an album for a while and see how we get along in the longer term (take it to bed and see if it's still attractive or more attractive in the morning, and the morning after that, so to speak). While there are times when even just one listen would do it to get a good lasting impression, often my appreciation depends on the day, my mood, whatever music particularly appeals at the time, if I have other distractions. I do think my first general impressions commonly stay much the same, but with more time at the right times I would be likely to have deeper insight. For a review and a rating, I would definitely want to listen to it multiple times over a period of time more than a day. That way I might pick up on more nuances, make better musical associations. That said, I'm not much of a music reviewer since I don't think I'm talented at it and it feels like work to me. I think a good review doesn't just tell people how you feel about an album, it actually offers some interesting insights into the album and makes associations that are likely to be useful to some people. I think if one is really familiar with the musical idiom (specific genre/s), and can make apt comparisons to similar albums, then one would be more likely to write an informed and informative review even with minimal listening.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 01:33
Quote The ratings range from 3 stars to 5 stars.

Prog Archives should only give users the option to review an album or do nothing at all, without that retarded numeric star system. This design feature of the website was a mistake. 👎
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 01:47
People are more bored, and thus excited, than ever for new stuff.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 02:20
Because my opinion is worth either 3, 5 or 10 times less than a collaborator, I don't rate or review at PA. But I do that at RYM. More often than not I rate (but not review) an album after just one listen. I often go back and change the rating a half star up or down. But I'm usually correct afterthe first listen... according to myself. I do this for myself primarely - and not for others. Its very handy when I'm at a record fair of a second hand shop flipping through records - if the Yusef Lateef, giallo soundtrack or fusion album from Turkmenistan I'm looking at were among the ones I really enjoyed or not.   

Edited by Saperlipopette! - August 29 2021 at 02:57
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 02:31
I never read such reviews and honestly wish it was prohibited to do like that. Especially annoying are some "reviewers" we have here who just 4-5-star every new release by popular bands, and all those "oh I've listened to it 5 times in there 2 days", like that recent btbam review for instance.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 02:49
just to clarify that some artists do send potential reviewers advance copies of albums, and hope that the review when up on the site coincides with said release date. This is perfectly normal practice across the industry - at the end of the day, they want the album to sell.

The recipients of these will usually be Prog Reviewers or Collaborators on the site.

I always, btw, state whether an artist has sent me a piece of work to review. I like to think that my reviews are not influenced by this, but that is for others to judge. I am far more selective these days about what I accept, and they tend to be from artists I like or know.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 03:02
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

People are more bored, and thus excited, than ever for new stuff.

I'm constantly discovering "new stuff" from half a century ago, such as Druid's two 5-star Symphonic Prog albums from the mid-1970's, which I heard for the first time this morning. Thumbs Up
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 03:20
I don't do that but don't have problems with people who do. I often have a pretty clear idea about an album after listening to it once.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 04:00
I realise I am in the vast minority but the only requirement for me is to have listened to it at all. All the 'you must listen to something 10,15,1 million times or whatever' to have a valid opinion is nonsense. Unless you have faulty ears then one listen is fine.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 06:36
Like Lewian, I often have a pretty clear impression after hearing an album once. I don't start writing the review until later listens cuz I have found that some albums (especially more sophisticated albums like recent SKE and Ciccada releases) leave more lasting impressions that keep growing on me even when I'm away from the music. I often finish a review while listening to an album the third or fourth time. (I always and only listen to music, these days, on my Sony MDR-7506 headphones--giving the music my clear and undivided attention.) Also, I tend to only review albums that jump out at me--and albums that I'm made aware of because of other reviews. But, my first impressions are about 75-80% accurate as to how well I'll regard an album a year or two down the road. I like to shout out praise to praise-worthy albums, thus my fairly high ratings average.

Edited by BrufordFreak - August 29 2021 at 06:37
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 06:52
When I'm writing a review (which I haven't done for a long time now), I listen to the album once all the way through and then listen to each track individually at the same time as writing an overblown review - which is usually followed by giving the album more stars than you'll see in an average episode of Stars in Their Eyes. Wink
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 06:53
I guess everyone has his/her own way to do things. I would take more time, and quite a few more listens, to make my opinion on a record.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 08:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I wouldn't be comfortable doing that unless perhaps I had to because it was my job. I'd rather "live" with an album for a while and see how we get along in the longer term (take it to bed and see if it's still attractive or more attractive in the morning, and the morning after that, so to speak). 

Hi,

I think it depends. For many of us that have been writing reviews of many kinds for many years, the majority of stuff these days (film included with the influx of Netf___, Hulabalu, Amazon and many others) being a lot of 2nd rate material that while neat and pretty and colorful, DOES NOT stand up to the great film makers, or their history.

The same for a lot of "progressive" music. I have been following the addition of many folks to the PA database, and the main reason for my asking to NOT ADD a band until they have a 2nd album for folks to listen to, because it looks like we are just adding bands left and right, and most of them do not have the quality or material to show for what they did. For me, even as a first listen, and there are many that I listen to again, the material did not really pick up as much as you and I would have expected, SPECIALLY WHEN COMPARED to the old days, when the material was simply blowing our ears off, and I don't mean the loud crap!

I'm betting that a good 50% of the stuff added and "reviewed" (another story!!! since mostly this is done by fans, not reviewers!!!) is not worth a 2nd listen and a one day review is probably all that the music deserves. The scary part is when someone over rates it and gives you more value than is really there, thus, in the end, I think they are not helping the band get better by being honest!

I have reviewed a couple of things that I kept under the radar because I did not feel comfortable saying something that was not meant as bad, within a public forum. In the one particular example, the music itself was very good, but sadly horribly augmented by a drummer that did not know how to do anything else except once every 32 measures (so to speak) he would bang the snare drum to get the band back on the "theme" and prevent them from flying away which they appeared very capable of doing. In this case, for me, that drummer has got to go, and find a Chuck Berry band, not a progressive band!

All in all, I don't specifically like to criticize my peers in their reviews, as long as they are clear as to how they got to their thoughts. Too many reviews are just overdone and overripened opinions that are really poor and end up not showing the band's talent a whole lot. The same for film. It's ok to have favorites, but separate them when you are discussing the artistic merits ... favoritism is NOT an artistic merit!

At times though, a few well placed words make it seem better than before ... but in general, I am an intuitive writer that "does it" right away, at the very moment of its inception, and reviews for me are not a painting that takes 30 days ... they are an immediate response, and I tend to write a review off that thought and process. It is an honest appraisal, and as long as it works off the technical merits I'm OK with it, but the moment that it's just a like or dislike on my part, I guarantee you that review will be trashed by the end of the day!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 08:41
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

the main reason for my asking to NOT ADD a band until they have a 2nd album for folks to listen to, because it looks like we are just adding bands left and right, and most of them do not have the quality or material to show for what they did.

One of the things that I have noted from discussions about whether or not to add a particular artist to the PA database is that quality is NOT one of the criteria used to make the decision.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 08:43
I've done a few first day reviews. After listening to the album 3 or 4 times. Does that count?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 09:30
I find that listening critically to an album anytime, whether it is on the first day of its release or on the 50th anniversary of it's original release, you can usually make a pretty good judgement.  There are some that do grow on you after a while that you might not have liked at first, but I find that if I am listening critically, then I can tell whether it will grow on me even more, and try to factor that in.  

Too many people don't listen to an album critically either because they don't know how or their listening is based upon their current likes and dislikes in music.  If you can do this correctly, then your reviews count whenever you do them.  But, it does take more than one listen even if it's the first day of the release.  You can tell from the review whether the writer is reviewing an album critically or off of personal taste.  For that reason, there are certain reviewers that their first day reviews are worthless.  You, Steve, are not one of them.  Personally, I respect your reviews, so, yes, they count.  

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 14:19
People on here who have 3,000 or more albums in their collection aren't going to wait until they listen to something 10 times or more. They are going to review it after one or two listens and then most likely not listen to the album again in a year (if at all). 
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 14:36
Most music (be it progressive or not) is relatively generic in structure, choice of notes/scales, and production values. Unless itīs something very special and difficult to describe, most releases are fairly easy to write about if you have a combination of writing routine, research methods in place, and knowledge/history of the genre/artist you are writing about.

To me the research part may sometimes take hours, while the actual review takes 10 minutes to scribble down. People work differently just as they write differently, and the same goes for how many times they need to listen to an album to be able to form an opinion about it. I donīt think there is a formula for that.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2021 at 15:21
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

When I'm writing a review (which I haven't done for a long time now), I listen to the album once all the way through and then listen to each track individually at the same time as writing an overblown review - which is usually followed by giving the album more stars than you'll see in an average episode of Stars in Their Eyes. Wink
I would say this is pretty much my approach for new albums. Once through for first impressions, then one song at a time making my notes, then a once through again listening and looking at what I wrote down to see if I feel it's truly the way I really feel. I certainly don't need 5 or 10 times through to make a reasonable assessment of it.

Edited by JD - August 29 2021 at 15:21
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>