Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rating and reviewing albums after just 1 day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 11:00
An album reviewed after just one day's listening doesn't serve a prospective reader. Some albums take days, weeks, months to be properly savored. I think of Rush's Signals which held little promise on first listens. Boy, was I wrong.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 08:59
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

I prefer having listened to it several times over mutliple days, but with the rough scale of PA (1-5 stars), it’s easier to place it where it most likely belongs. 

Hi,

After collecting music for more than 50 years, I think I have learned that my "inner attention" does not require several listens to something to get a nice view and understanding of it. Some bits and pieces might take longer to pick up, but that is more about one's own inner attention, than it is about the music itself. 

Thus, I would imagine that one might have the idea that a different mood tomorrow after no sex tonight, will make me listen to it differently, and it can't ... the same music is still there, and the main DIFFERENCE is just me and possibly my moods, which have never interfered with the listening  of music, to the point that one girlfriend got mad and said that she could not compete with any music!!!!!

That was tough, but it suggested that I listened to things with a depth that I was not using with my own girlfriend, and I had to fix that.

In one of my reviews of the ITCOTCK I spelled out if I felt any difference between the original (still have the album!) and the redone version, and the answer was NO, I didn't. In fact, I felt that the new version, although it seemed cleaner, mostly tried to change the volumes of various instruments to give you the idea that this was more important at a certain moment and something else was at another moment. To me, that did not change the original "vision" and "thoughts" about the music at all. 

Same thing for a lot of classical music. See if you can find one piece conducted by three or four different maestros, and you will find, that despite the various points of emphasis the feeling about the whole of the music is still there very much in one piece.

My question to myself is ... if we are so used to one form only of music, to the point that hearing something different (like with no time keeping devices or drummers) will simply jar our imaginations ... all it might be  happening would be that we are not sure how to interpret that ... since in general, most people do not do well at all with music that has no rhyme, no meter, and no beat! And to boot, the whole of the 20th century has been about breaking the mold of all the rhyme, meter and beat ... we sometimes I wonder if all we have done is go backwards and tie ourselves more and more to the "familiar" in the arts, for the sake of all the commerciality out there!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2021 at 03:32
It depends who you are and what you're listening to and why. 

Musician here. I can put an album on and, within 4 bars, determine if the standard of musicianship is any good. Sorry, if the drummer can't keep time or the keyboard player is all over the shop, I've mentally written the entire album off before you can count four four times. 

In some cases, it's before you can count to four. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2021 at 11:38
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

It depends who you are and what you're listening to and why. 

Musician here. I can put an album on and, within 4 bars, determine if the standard of musicianship is any good. Sorry, if the drummer can't keep time or the keyboard player is all over the shop, I've mentally written the entire album off before you can count four four times. 

Hi,

Agreed.

There are some things that kinda turn me off some music, not that it does not happen in classical music, let's say, but in rock music, many bands have a really pretty start, and then they get on to the song ... and that opening theme is never used again, or worked into the music. A bit weird for me, as a literary person, since it throws you "off" the track of the work, and in rock music, this has always been weird for me to enjoy. In some cases, it made me think ... what the heck are the keyboards for? For me the completeness of the work is missing something. 

But I would not wish to compare that to Stravinsky, since he would turn over in his grave and tell us that all of rock music is weird?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123