Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steven Wilson Interview

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Wilson Interview
    Posted: August 30 2021 at 15:19
I found this interview very good, done by Berklee Online. Steven touches on many things like his reason for no more Porcupine Tree, his early projects/bands, the genre of progressive rock (which I agree with him), why he is doing the kind of music he is now, the affects of critics and how it affected Craig Blundell.

Edited by Catcher10 - August 30 2021 at 15:20
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2021 at 10:47
Hi,

... people that say they play progressive music ... DON'T ...

'nuff' said!

He's mellowed out some from his attitudes about music, from some of the earlier interviews where I thought he came off a bit too strong, and not giving credit to the other musicians around him, specially PT, all of whom added something to "his" band, that made it special, much more so than the original, and made it a special band in concert for anyone that had the chance to see them.

His opinions/views on music are realistic, and him now saying to help people ignore comments so they can continue is very important. It is specially difficult, even here on PA with so many comments fitting into the area of social media, instead of criticism ... that kinda have a tendency to bring down the discussions and the topics, specially when the comments are of a personal nature, and have NOTHING to do with the topic or the details of the topic.

As a writer, and an intuitive one that writes from his dreams and visions, I can understand the nature of criticism, though I will admit that there are a handful of folks that I will listen to and accept their ideas and criticism, although (usually) at that point it is difficult to change "what you saw" in your dream, and "change" some of the moments, words or events in that thing. Thus, a lot of criticism can melt away as good as any Dali painting for me.

The source is what matters. Not the fan comments and outcome. If the famous artists, painters, writers and musicians had not ignored what others felt ... they would not have done what they did! And if this is not the clue for most folks ... they should not be where they want to be as an artist. I suppose they can always paint tomatoes for the kitchens and dining rooms of the world!

Edited by moshkito - August 31 2021 at 12:01
... none of the hits, none of the time ... favoritism is not an artistic merit! www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply