1 [5.56%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Bowie - Blackstar discussion plus poll
    Posted: September 03 2021 at 19:31
The poll options are meant to be taken as a not very serious accessory to discussion.  I've taken the ratings descriptions at PA and adapted them a bit.  I am interested in what people think of this album.

In another topic a poster mentioned being disappointed with this album and finding it depressing, and I thought it might be good to discuss and explore our ideas and feelings on this album in a dedicated topic.  For me the album is more bittersweet than depressing per se, but there is sadness and regret.  It's poignant, sentimental in a moving way, and an amazing swansong as I perceive it.   I do think that it's a remarkable achievement, and the sad circumstances that relate to it and inform music on it makes it all the more moving to me, but also, I find it life-affirming in its way.  I appreciate the variety on display in the music as well as the way certain subject matter was handled.

So what are your thoughts on the album?  I hope this turns into some vibrant discussion.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 01:48
The word sublime is not wrong to use to describe this album. Very well used in a scene with Larry Trainor in Doom Patrol HBO Series
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 03:26
second option
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 04:12
Well worth its fours: one of Bowie's best albums.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 04:26
I know it's only a minority opinion here (and I AM a Bowie fan), but I think an album "for collectors/fans only" sums up the depressing Blackstar album rather succinctly, so it's a measly rating of only two black stars from me I'm afraid. Confused
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 04:29
Over most of Bowie's career I have respected him, and I like some of his stuff a lot, but I haven't really been much of a fan... many things he did ran somewhat counter to my "personal aesthetics", and there's pretty much no album that doesn't have some stuff I can't connect to. Blackstar is for me *the* Bowie album, with which he finally really got me. A masterpiece from beginning to end.
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 06:34
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I know it's only a minority opinion here (and I AM a Bowie fan), but I think an album "for collectors/fans only" sums up the depressing Blackstar album rather succinctly, so it's a measly rating of only two black stars from me I'm afraid. Confused
I think it fits well with the context of which it was released.
Not for rent. To any God or government.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 09:25
I think Paul raises an interesting issue with it being depressing.  I expect that we all know that Bowie was terminally ill and delves into those themes of his mortality.  If it was just a "pity party" type of album then I might not respect it so much.  I think of my dad who was dying of cancer, and he never once complained (he was very much of the old school British stiff upper lip variety), he did become quite reminiscent and I learned a lot more about him during his time (including things he'd never shared because he had been an MI5 and MI6 officer and had signed on to the official secrets act).  Bowie was a very different character from my dad, but my experience with my dad did make the Blackstar album more emotionally resonant.  I felt there was kind of openness to the album that I respected, and maybe some would rather that he had just made  a feel good album while dying or not made an album to it all.  In my perception, and we all perceive things differently, that showed a certain courage.  As said, to me it was more bittersweet than depressing and I found it life-affirming and uplifting in its way.  Enjoy it or not, I think it's a remarkable achievement and a great testament to his impact. Icarium has a way of summing up my feelings, sublime is a word I would use.  Transcendent is another.

To me it is his ultimate work, and the culmination of his musical work, and an enduring testament to the man. It is the one that most resonates with emotionally.  I can't imagine that many long-time Bowie fans would think, "Meh, great career over all but a pretty lame conclusion. I think most Bowie fans should skip this."  
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 10:05
In Blackstar Bowie channels some of the tricks he might have picked up from Lou Reed, the hones and dark message that David helped Lou Reed to prescent on Transformer but also remeniscent of Reeds Berlin, a dark noir story about mental illness and life. As with Grant Morrisons impact on Doom Patrol with elements of Dada, there is elemelts of Dada on Blackstar of avant gard art which is someting Bowien more then most was hugly influenced by but with elements of dark noir.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 10:15
I would rate it around 4 stars. It's the best album he released since Scary Monsters (which tends to be my favorite of his).
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 10:36
It's an album I found intriguing, exiting, moving and I "loved" at first listen. But I haven't really relistened to the album in full after that. I sometimes - or maybe quite often really... I protect myself from my own emotional reactions to certain art. For years I couldn't listen to early Joni Mitchell + Leonard Cohen and Roy Harper, the two first Joanna Newsom-albums, Peter Hammill's Over, Pearls Before Swine - Use of Ashes, Nick Drake, various Brahms/Mahler/Bach performed by Kathleen Ferrier... mm... Its just too much - and it simply destroys me.

That's probably why I haven't allowed myself to let Blackstar under my skin. Rock Bottom has a soothing effect though. And I'm back to listening to Joni. All the time. But its easier to play some jazz. I'm not always ready for He Loved Him Madly, but in general. 

Edited by Saperlipopette! - September 04 2021 at 10:38
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 10:52
^ I love most everything you've listed (should know Kathleen Ferrier).  I have clinical depression (I have my ups and downs), and I think listening to melancholic things actually helps me to deal with some of the feelings I go through. If I have depression, I might as well enjoy wallowing in it (to be glib).  There's beauty in sadness.  There are times when I do avoid music that has too much emotional impact.  I appreciate the sentimentality of Blackstar and various works, and to me there are uplifting qualities, but different psyches respond differently.  I understand that it can all too easily bring up trauma and Blackstar does deal with uncomfortable subject matter.  I find it quite a humble album in its way from a flawed individual who has had his ups and downs and I like that it's as personal as it is.

By the way, interesting about Lou Reed, and yes I would think so (think I read something about that before, memory is bad).  I think Blackstar was in part inspired by Trent Reznor's music, who Bowie knew and had opened for Bowie with NIN.  Reznor has cited Bowie as an inspiration.

By the way, I know it's quite off topic, but...

EDIT: Perhaps I should note that I did this topic as sort of an extension to what was being discussed in What does music do for you on an emotional level? where I brought up David Bowie's Blackstar and its impact on me, which resulted in some response, but I felt it better to focus that conversation here and also to make it more generally about the album and its impact on people.  

Edited by Logan - September 04 2021 at 11:18
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 15:11
Cannot say that I'm an unconditional Bowie fan: I like much of his work but I consider him more a radio artist than an album artist. To explain myself: I love most of his music, his songs - hits or not - are overall wonderful, but since I am very much an album listener, his albums never completely convinced me. Mostly because I think that the music on them is too dense... My gripe with his music is mainly that he filled up his songs to the brim: no place for an extra note or sound, everything was full. This makes it for me difficult to listen to a complete album of him: after two or three songs I have to breathe.
My preferred album would be Space Oddity and the experimental sides of the Berlin albums, but Blackstar is for me one of his better albums. Maybe not as dense as most of his other albums, but definitely an intense album. I would give it four stars (also because I'm very sparse in calling something a masterpiece...).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 19:01
4 stars at least. He finally reached the level of his heydays again.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2021 at 03:17
Bowie was always a song artiste for me , rather than an album artiste, and I don't own any album of his (even the 70's ones), except ... (see below)

I still have a Maxell XL-IIS compilation of his better tracks, but never bothered replicating it into a CD-r compilation

Originally posted by Umeda Umeda wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic
 Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I think it fits well with the context of which it was released.

Absolutely (the only Bowie album I've ever owned), and in some ways, it reminds me of Jacques Brel's Brel album (AKA Les Marquises), a stunning and profound musical epitaph, one that really sets it apart from the rest from his œuvre and yet closes it in a grand manner. 

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2021 at 07:23
I'd go as far as to say it's his best album, 5 stars.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 17:31
Excellent first side and very good second......as good as anything he's released since the early 80s.  4.33 stars.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 03:03
I'm planning on running a David Bowie Top 7 albums poll soon, so it'll be interesting to see how well  Blackstar fares against some of Bowie's earlier classic albums. Here's a preview of my Top 7:-

1. Ziggy Stardust
2. Let's Dance
3. Space Oddity
4. Hunky Dory
5. The Man Who Sold the World
6. Aladdin Sane
7. Pin Ups
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 05:17
I feel most Bowie Albums from Space Oddity to Scary Monsters decade are better.  That said, Dark Star eclipses everything from Let Dance onward. 
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 11:25
One of his best works and a beautiful way to end his distinguished career. The only thing that sours it a bit for me is the lyrics to the second track, which I just find needlessly mean and bitter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>