Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 7 David Bowie Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 7 David Bowie Albums
    Posted: September 07 2021 at 11:52
Tonight, it's time to pay tribute to one of our all-time musical Heroes - the much-missed David Bowie. Who could forget him in his first starring film role as the bewildered alien in The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976), where he was regarded as something of a Space Oddity by humans. The Reality is that it's the Earthlings who are the real Scary Monsters in the movie though, at least from Bowie's point of view, as government scientists are wanting to keep Bowie in captivity to perform experiments on him. He reaches a new Low point when he becomes addicted to the earthly vice of alcohol and discovers the "prison" he's been kept in for Hours on end as a Lodger is actually unlocked and he's able to wander Outside its walls. At the sad conclusion of the film, he's discovered The Next Day slumped in a drunken stupor outside a restaurant, so I'm afraid there's no Hunky Dory happy ending for our alien friend. Confused

Simply list your Top 7 David Bowie albums in order of preference and then I'll assign the usual system of points to your listings:-

1st album - 12 points
2nd album - 8 points
3rd album - 6 points
4th album - 4 points
5th album - 3 points
6th album - 2 points
7th album - 1 point

Here's my Top 7 to get the poll underway:-

1. Ziggy Stardust (12 points)
2. Let's Dance (8 points)
3. Space Oddity (6 points)
4. Hunky Dory (4 points)
5. The Man Who Sold the World (3 points)
6. Aladdin Sane (2 points)
7. Pin Ups (1 point)

David Bowie Albums & Concert Tours

5 stars 1973: Ziggy Stardust - Live at Hammersmith Odeon - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LsDBE038jhI_-7Q2coJjQ9B
 4 stars 1973: The 1980 Floor Show - Live at the Marquee - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lv9UBnUqTpPgWtaXvpaj1uL
 4 stars 1974: Cracked Actor - Live Los Angeles '74 - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LtglNw4r7t7OR4UUF0Jm4pK
 4 stars 1974: I'm Only Dancing - The Soul Tour '74 - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lu5LjZVC41Qt0y7IjWRhWyh
 4 stars 1978: Welcome to the Blackout - Live London '78 - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LtDyXrs1xfMQyKQDksKbgqp
 3 stars 1986: Labyrinth (soundtrack with Trevor Jones) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lt1CiPJy66VDCK3cOygHolK
 3 stars 1993: The Buddha of Suburbia (soundtrack) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LtmPWUF8rahvPZlstaAYD_C
 3 stars 1995: No Trendy Rechauffe - Live Birmingham '95 - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LuMT44lVum0rZXp7v3xMeK0
 4 stars 1999: Something in the Air - Live Paris '99 - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Ls-c6CtyGLD2DpwAoE7ZQtg

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 20 2023 at 16:20
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 12:11
Okay, I'll give it a try as I listed a top ten in my Blackstar topic.  Note that I am not as familiar with all of his albums as I feel I should be.  Not really altogether sure about the album order, and that could vary somewhat on the day:

Blackstar
Hunky Dory
Low
"Heroes"
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
The Man Who Sold the World
Lodger

Edited by Logan - September 07 2021 at 17:44
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 12:46
Hmmm...okay, I'll bite.

Ziggy Stardust
Aladdin Sane
Hunky Dory
Diamond Dogs
The Man Who Sold the World
Low
Young Americans

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 14:05
1. "Heroes"
2. Low
3. Blackstar
4. Earthling
5. Station To Station
6. Black Tie White Noise
7. The Next Day

The first two albums of the Berlin trilogy are things of uncanny beauty and Station To Station is a deserved classic as well, but other than that, barring specific songs that I like a lot, his albums from the 1970s never quite touched me all that much. I think the reception to Bowie's 1990s oeuvre has been rather lukewarm and mixed by comparison but I personally think he managed to adapt to the trends of the time in a successful and inventive way without sacrificing his integrity as an artist. The production style of Earthling is something I look up to very much; it's a beautiful blend of the man's old and new sound pallettes.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 14:29
Difficult one. I will give it a try:

1 Low
2 Hunky Dory
3 Heroes
4 Station To Station
5 Ziggy Stardust
6 Blackstar
7 Lodger

Honorable mentions: The Man Who Sold the World, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Scary Monsters, Tin Machine, 1. Outside.

Edited by The Anders - September 07 2021 at 15:24
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 16:06
Not a Bowie expert so I don't know why people put "Heroes" in quotes... anyway, here's mine.
Blackstar
Station to Station
Outside
Scary Monsters
Hunky Dory
Heroes
Diamond Dogs
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 16:40
1. Scary Monsters
2. Low
3. Heroes
4. Blackstar
5. Lodger
6. Station to Station
7. Earthling
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 16:46
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Not a Bowie expert so I don't know why people put "Heroes" in quotes... anyway, here's mine.

See album cover.

I think that David Bowie intended the album title to be "Heroes".  That's the way it's listed on the albums that  I have seen (not just the cover), and that's the way that I have seen websites title the album.

Edited by Logan - September 07 2021 at 16:49
Just a fanboy passin' through.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 19:04
1. Low
2. Young Americans
3. The Man Who Sold the World
4. Let’s Dance
5. Station to Station
6. Aladdin Sane
7. Blackstar
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 20:04
1. Space Oddity 
2. Ziggy Stardust
3. Hunky Dory
4. Aladdin Sane
5. Diamond Dogs
6. Scary Monsters
7. The Next Day
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 02:35
The first Top 7 round-up after nine rounds of voting, with the Low album featuring surprisingly High in the list. Smile

1. Low (48 points)
2. Ziggy Stardust (38 points)
3. Blackstar (37 points)
4. Hunky Dory (35 points)
5. "Heroes" (30 points)
6. Station to Station (20 points)
7. Space Oddity (18 points)
7. Scary Monsters (18 points)

9. Aladdin Sane (16 points)
10. The Man Who Sold the World (14 points)

Thanks to everyone who took part in the voting. Thumbs Up
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 02:45
1. Ziggy Stardust
2. Hunky Dory
3. The Man Who Sold the World.
4. Space Oddity
5. Aladdin Sane
6. Pin-Ups
7. Low
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 02:52
Top 7 update with Progishness' votes added, putting Ziggy Stardust on top where he belongs. Wink

1. Ziggy Stardust (50 points)
1. Low (49 points)
3. Hunky Dory (43 points)
4. Blackstar (37 points)
5. "Heroes" (30 points)
6. Space Oddity (22 points)
7. Station to Station (20 points)
7. The Man Who Sold the World (20 points)

9. Aladdin Sane (19 points)
10. Scary Monsters (18 points)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 06:10
^It's the one Bowie album that will forever be on my 'desert island' list - i.e. one of those special albums that I couldn't bear to live without.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 09:35
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

^It's the one Bowie album that will forever be on my 'desert island' list - i.e. one of those special albums that I couldn't bear to live without.
I was surprised any other album even came close to Ziggy Stardust in the polling. I never expected the Low album to be so High up. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 11:33
I have a good friend on Twitter who is a complete Bowie nut - I shall ask her what her favourite seven would be out of curiosity.

SeanP View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SeanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 01:04
Love Bowie. Currently I'm in a non Bowie listening phase but simply because I've been listening to him for over 40 years and every now and then I take a break from the over familiarity. At any given stage my ranking would change but right now it would be:

1. Low
2. Heroes
3. Hunky Dory
4.Space Oddity
5. Aladdin Sane
6. Blackstar
7. Ziggy Stardust

Greatly missed. I wasn't expecting it and I cried when I heard. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 01:09
Top 7 update with SeanP's votes added:-

1. Low (61 points)
2. Ziggy Stardust (51 points)
3. Hunky Dory (49 points)
4. Blackstar (39 points)
5. "Heroes" (38 points)
6. Space Oddity (26 points)
7. Aladdin Sane (22 points)

8. Station to Station (20 points)
8. The Man Who Sold the World (20 points)
10. Scary Monsters (18 points)
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 09:23
Might put these in different order on another day but here goes: 

1. Ziggy Stardust
2. Hunky Dory
3. Low
4. "Heroes"
5. Diamond Dogs
6. Scary Monsters
7. Blackstar

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2021 at 09:28
I my top three are easy, but I’ll have to think about the rest.

For now:

Blackstar
1.Outside
The Man Who Sold The World

I’ll come back to this, when I’ve given it some more thought.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>