0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [26.32%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Wigwam poll (classic era)
    Posted: September 08 2021 at 02:45
A fantastic band that would have received more adulation had they not come from Finland!  However, when they signed to Virgin and 'Nuclear Nightclub' was released in 1975, it looked like they might breakthrough.  This was followed by a tour of the UK with Gong in 1976.  However, they became victims of the infamous Virgin clear out of its progressive bands and the label refused to release 'Dark Album', which spelled the end of the classic iteration of the band.  I have included two of Pekka Pohjola's albums (who left in 74) which are praised in prog circles.  Pekka toured with Mike Oldfield and famously turned down Zappa.  It's a niche poll, I know, but after listening to some of 'Nuclear Nightclub' live last night, I decided to put out the poll.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 03:32
B The Magpie
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 04:15
Being, without a question. Jukka Gustavson's finest hour in the group.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 06:37
I've always liked Wigwam's music, so it's hard to choose a favorite album. I'm voting for Being, but it could easily be any other.

Edited by Manuel - September 09 2021 at 03:30
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 10:13
Could easily be Being or Fairyport, but since you've put up Pekka's B the Magpie, which I adore, I had to go for that.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 12:26
Great band!

voted Nuclear Nightclub closely  followed by Being
rik wilson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 12:57
While I like most of the Wigwam releases; Pekka gets my vote. It's a masterpiece, and if you can find some of his later jazz fusion videos get ready to be blown away.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 22:51
"Being" has a crazy great lineup and is so entertaining. 
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 04:05
Well, with the sad passing of Jim Pembroke over the weekend, the album I reached for was 'Lucky Golden Stripes...'
RIP Jim Pembroke
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 06:16
I was planning to vote for Wigwam Bam, until I realised this poll is nothing to do with The Sweet. Embarrassed
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 07:19
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 08:46
^Shame this is such a joke while we mourn Jim Pembroke.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2022 at 08:23
Only just noticed this poll. Voted Fairyport but I like all the albums listed here. 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2022 at 08:40
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I was planning to vote for Wigwam Bam, until I realised this poll is nothing to do with The Sweet. Embarrassed

sorry about that  Big smile

and I do remember Wigwam Bam! - even I was fan of Slade and not Sweet.

Edited by David_D - January 06 2022 at 09:36
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2022 at 08:41

just Being
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2022 at 07:59
B The Magpie, but only just.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2022 at 10:02
I voted Being because I don't really see the logic in including Pekka Pohjola's albums in a Wigwam poll. They really aren't anything alike. 

That said, B the Magpie means more to me than any Wigwam album, I'm devoted to it.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 10:03
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I voted Being because I don't really see the logic in including Pekka Pohjola's albums in a Wigwam poll. They really aren't anything alike. 

The reason I included Pekka Pohjola's albums is because I felt that if I limited the poll to just Wigwam, it would be too niche and not attract much attention.  I have included his Virgin albums only - I thought about Jim Pembroke's solo albums as well but I think their release was limited to Finland.

Edited by Rick1 - January 10 2022 at 10:03
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 14:06
Fairyport, Being and Pekka's B the Magpie are my tops but i love all the related material including Jim's bonkers Hot thumbs O Reilly lp which i have on the UK original Charisma press.

Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2022 at 07:30
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Jim's bonkers Hot thumbs O Reilly lp which i have on the UK original Charisma press.

There you go, I didn't know that had a UK release or else I would have put it in the poll.  I don't think any of his other solo stuff did.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>