Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rank Your Magma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rank Your Magma
    Posted: September 09 2021 at 08:51
List the Magma albums you have in order of preference. For me, starting with my current favourite album:

1: Kobaïa
2: 1001° Centigrades
3: Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
4: Attahk
5: Üdü Ẁüdü
6: K.A

I confess that the reason I started this thread is because I am finding it difficult to contain myself about how impressed I am with Magma's debut album. And it's not like I'm new to the music of Magma, making Kobaïa all the more impressive. This one really hits the sweet spot.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 09:05
Between studio, lives etc. I have too many to want to rank all of them.

Kobaïa is my favourite Magma album. 1001° Centigrades would be my second favourite studio album, followed by Attahk. Wurdah Itah is up there too if it counts.

I'll list the first seven to spring to mind:

1. Kobaïa (don't think Magma ever bettered their debut, amazing start)
2. Rétrospective Vol. 1 & 2 (I love Theusz Hamtaahk on this and prefer this MDK to the studio)
3. 1001° Centigrades (a masterful follow-up album)
4. BBC 1974 Londres (love this version of T.H. as much as on Retrospective, sometimes more)
5. Live (Hhai) (a wonderful live and good place for many to start with Magma imo)
6. Attahk (makes me think of my trip to Mexico -- I love this album more than many and it is one I return to often. Still sounds fresh to these ears)
7. Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré (of the modern ones, I much prefer this to KA)

Edited by Logan - September 09 2021 at 09:08
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 09:18
I still don't have the debut, I should probably correct that.

1. Trilogie Theusz  Hamtaahk
2. Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh
3. Köhntarkösz
4. Hhai / Live
5. Köhntarkösz Anteria
6. Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré
7. Retrospektiw Vol. 1 & 2
8. BBC 1974 Londres
9. Udu Wudu
10. Félicité Thösz
11. Attahk
12. Zess

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 10:04
Thinking of each release as how much I enjoy it as one full work from beginning to end - and not how much I treasure certain highlights, places Retrospektiw and Opéra de Reims quite low on the list. As I only really ever revisit about 1/2 and 1/3rd of each. However those 21 minutes of Šlaǧ Tanƶ , I always play in full.

1. Kobaïa
 2. 1001° Centigrades (I sort of think of it as Kobaïa side E & F)
 3. Üdü Ẁüdü
 4. Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
 5. Köhntarkösz
 6. Ẁurdah Ïtah / Tristan et Iseult
 7. Attahk
 8. Šlaǧ Tanƶ
 9. Retrospektiw Vol. 1 & 2 (love Theusz Hamtaahk, but again, not a fan of Didier Lockwood's playing on MDK)
10. Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré
11. Concert 1976 - Opéra de Reims
12. Köhntarkösz Anteria
13. Live (Hhai)
14. Zëss : Le jour du néant
15. Magma - Merci
16. Félicité Thösz

Edited by Saperlipopette! - September 09 2021 at 13:44
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 11:56
An impossible task to rank my Magma collection.  I have them all except for the newest one.  Anyone view it yet?

ESKÄHL 2020 Bordeaux - Toulouse - Perpignan

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 12:30
If your Magma collection has too many albums to rank, you can rank just the top albums and list the remaining albums unranked.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 13:25
^ the challenge is that they're all too good.  Most bands are fairly easy to list my preferences, not so when it comes to Magma.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 13:34
This is much harder than for other bands, I find them all more or less equally enjoyable. Maybe like this:
Mekanik Destruktiw Komandoh
Udu Wudu
Kohntarkosz
Kobaia
Live Hhai
Attahk
K.A.
...but it feels like a random permutation as would any other ranking.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 00:42
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

This is much harder than for other bands, I find them all more or less equally enjoyable. Maybe like this:
Mekanik Destruktiw Komandoh
Udu Wudu
Kohntarkosz
Kobaia
Live Hhai
Attahk
K.A.
...but it feels like a random permutation as would any other ranking.
Yes, I just ranked the 16 I got without thinking too hard about it. I've got Live Hhai at 13th, but it would still get a strong 6/10 or even a 7/10-rating from me. While my top four (maybe five) all gets a perfect ten.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 09:25
Well, gotta admit, (and seems a bit strange even to myself), K.A. has become my favorite home-listening from Magma.  Most of their other music I prefer to see live/videos more than anything (to date, probably the best concert experience I've had!).

1. K.A.
2. Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
3. 1001° Centigrades
4. Kobaïa
5. Zess
6. Köhntarkösz
7. Üdü Ẁüdü
8. Ẁurdah Ïtah / Tristan et Iseult
9. Attahk

...and the rest, haven't listened to enough to have an opinion.

Edited by zwordser - September 10 2021 at 09:43
Z
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2021 at 22:22
Wurdah
Attahk
Kohn
Udu
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 06:31
Though I love the live performance videos and think these experiences are the most powerful, I'm going to rate studio albums only.

1: Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
2. Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré
3: Üdü Ẁüdü
4. Ẁurdah Ïtah / Tristan et Iseult
5: K.A
6. Félicité Thösz 
7. Šlaǧ Tanƶ 
8. 1001° Centigrades
9. Kobaïa
10. Zess
11. Köhntarkösz

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 04:02
Studio albums:

1. MDK
2. Kohntarkosz
3. Udu Wudu
4. Attahk
5. Wurdah Itah
6. 1001 Centigrade
7.Kobaia
8. Emehntehtt-Re
9. Merci
10. K.A
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 08:52
Hi,

I vote for the album that CV has to sing with the orchestra. I have a feeling that is what he has imagined for a long time, but it might be asking too much of his friends and musicians to do by themselves, and it would not feel the same to him.

That album alone, is above and beyond most for me.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TheEliteExtremophile View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheEliteExtremophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 12:46
Retrospective 1/2/3
KA
Emehntett-Re
Live/Hhai
MDK
Udu Wudu
Felicite Thosz
Attahk
Sl*g Tanz
Kobaia
Kohntarkosz
1001 Centigrade
Zess
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 14:48
1. Kobaïa
 2. 1001° Centigrades (I sort of think of it as Kobaïa side E & F)
 3. Üdü Ẁüdü
 4. Live Hhaï
 5. Köhntarkösz

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 18:24
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

If your Magma collection has too many albums to rank, you can rank just the top albums and list the remaining albums unranked.

Understood, but I have close to 30 Magma albums, which is a reason I just wanted to cover and comment on some of the highlights for me.  
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2021 at 16:46
Kobaia and mdk are the weakest of the lot
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2021 at 20:53
Too many to rank, and so hard to pick favorites. I tend to listen to their live material more than studio, which is rare for me. I think Magma and Swans are the only bands where I really get into their live albums consistently.

But here’s some favorites, off the top of my head:

Attahk
Live Hhai
Opera de Reims
Kobaia
Bobino 1981
Kohntarzosz
Zess
Ementehtt Re
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 09:55
1. Köhntarkösz
2. 1001° Centigrades 
3. Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh
4. Üdü Ẁüdü
5. Kobaïa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>