Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Änglagård - Epilog vs Portishead - Dummy

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these do you prefer or is more a classic to you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [40.00%]
7 [46.67%]
2 [13.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Änglagård - Epilog vs Portishead - Dummy
    Posted: September 09 2021 at 12:55
I might do this as a series (Prog vs. non Prog or non PA albums as Prog definitions and notions of acceptibility can vary).

I decided to pit a favourite album from a band not included in PA against a band included in a Prog category at PA from the same year (1994). Since the non-PA album is ranked at number 2 for the year at rateyourmusic, I opted to put it against the second highest rated album in PA's too Prog album charts from the same year. That turned out to be an album I have in my collection as well.

So how will Portishead's Dummy fare against the much acclaimed Änglagård? I like E pilog, but, and call me a dummy if you like, Dummy means much more to me.

Here is the opening from each album:

I'll be interested to hear back from people, especially those who know both.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 13:30
Great Portishead album, not an Anglagard fan, although the Prolog is cool.

PS: I like the prog vs. non-prog concept.

Edited by Lewian - September 09 2021 at 13:37
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 13:36
I don't own any Portishead albums but from what I've heard they are very cool and gave the Bristol music scene a boost along with Massive Attack and others. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 13:49
^ Yep. The Bristol scene bands Massive Attack and Portishead are considered pioneers of Trip Hop. The 1991 Massive Attack album Blue Lines is commonly considered to be the first Trip Hop album.

^^ I used to like Änglagård more than I now do.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 13:57
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I used to like Änglagård more than I now do.

I love "Hybris" and I love "Viljans Öga" but "Epilog" doesn't appeal to me at all.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 14:19
That's an easy one: the Portishead originality over the Änglagård imitation!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 15:12
Portishead. All their albums are fantastic. I'm quite indifferent to Anglaård really. Haven't heard Viljans Öga though. Perhaps I should give them a last chance?
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 15:31
The snare sound that's in the Portishead song is mixed too loud IMO and that's driving me nuts. It's a great song but the mixing is pretty bad. Änglagård

Edited by Hrychu - September 09 2021 at 15:31
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 17:36
Anglagard easy
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 18:36
I’ll give Änglagård a vote. I like Portishead but mainly their 2nd and 3rd albums. Änglagård’s second was quite a cool album when it came out, though I haven’t heard it in many years. So it’s a tossup but I have a feeling the Swedes will need some help here.

Edited by HolyMoly - September 09 2021 at 18:37
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 19:13
LOVE both but Epilog is my favorite Änglagård album.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 03:23
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I'm quite indifferent to Anglaård really. Haven't heard Viljans Öga though. Perhaps I should give them a last chance?

Viljans Öga has a somewhat different "feel" to Hybris. And it is completely instrumental if the vocals on Hybris were an issue. But if you are indifferent to Hybris, then I can't say that Viljans Öga will appeal to you because it is still Änglagård. On the other hand, if you have just under an hour to spare, you can take the journey:

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 03:42
^ BTW, my favourite track from Viljans Öga, and indeed my favourite Änglagård track, is the second track, "Sorgmantel".

Post Reply Post Reply