3 [7.89%]
1 [2.63%]
15 [39.47%]
5 [13.16%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dark and Long, part 2
    Posted: September 13 2021 at 01:02
Part two fifteen minutes+ dark tunes that i love. I suppose with Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream who both have so many potential dark and long compostisions, many of you would have chosen another track than I. But these are the two that I return to the most often, and that never fails to send those shivers down my spine and raises hairs on arms. I was actually planning to include Terje Rypdal's - Electric Fantasy first and Whenever I Seem to Be Far Away second, but they were only available for youtube music premium members (do they really exist?). But I really love Rolling Stone as well. I'll keep on making one or two more if this one spark a little linterest (at least similar to part 1).

Fifth Movement begins at ca. 17:35 and ends 33:20 (I tried to make the video start at the correct time)

King Lindorm had about a hundred plays and Moonsongs like thirteen, so I hope that's not a real indication of their popularity. They deserve millions of listeners. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 01:16
This is a tough call bwtween AC, TD, KS, and TP. 

In the end, I will go with the Plague. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 01:56
This particular Miles Davis cut rules.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 06:55
Mies Davis gets my vote.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 11:25
I knew all of these, and love them all. Each one is off a cherished by me album. That said, I will go with Brave New World's The End, which is one of my all-time favourites and stand out tracks (that to me is a clear favourite off the album). Although I could say the same of Crystal Lake just as easily, but that has a vote already and... All are great to my ears and if all of the above were an option, I would vote for that.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 13:41
Fantastic list, I went for Guapo

Guapo > TD > KS > AZ > Plague 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
rik wilson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 13:45
I too, like long dark pieces that go many places. That said, for me, Phaedra is a most perfect example of German synth rock that is riveting, flowing, and integrating of all sorts of keyboards during this phase of their career.It is a behemoth of textured sound.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 14:13
Klaus Schulze. I also love the first 5 minutes of AC's track. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 17:50
A poll that consists wholly of top-shelf material!

Tangerine Dream's Phaedra is a milestone and it gets my voite, but I also love Klaus Schulze's Mirage (from where "Crystal Lake" originates), which was discernibly the biggest influence on Steve Roach when he was a new solo artist in the '80s.

Aphrodite's Child's 666 is likewise another classic.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 23:20
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Tangerine Dream's Phaedra is a milestone and it gets my voite, but I also love Klaus Schulze's Mirage (from where "Crystal Lake" originates), which was discernibly the biggest influence on Steve Roach when he was a new solo artist in the '80s.
I decided to check out Steve Roach for the first time ever. Started with the title track from Structures From Silence, as the album stood out in his discography with its whopping 5,055 ratings, 72 reviews and a solid 3.85/5 at RYM. I don't mind New Age really, but this was just a little too uneventful, and I didn't find the sounds of the synths he used attractive either. It turned out 2.71 from 21 ratings and 2 reviews at Progarchives made more sense to me. I couldn't finish the track - or album.

Instead I tried (the full version of) Looking For Safety. Now that was more like it. So right now I'm listening to Dreamtime Return from the beginning. And pretty much loving it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 23:32
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Fantastic list, I went for Guapo

Guapo > TD > KS > AZ > Plague 
Glad you like the list. And I hoped I wasn't alone in my adoration for King Lindorm (and the rest of Elixirs).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 00:01
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I knew all of these, and love them all. Each one is off a cherished by me album. That said, I will go with Brave New World's The End, which is one of my all-time favourites and stand out tracks (that to me is a clear favourite off the album). Although I could say the same of Crystal Lake just as easily, but that has a vote already and... All are great to my ears and if all of the above were an option, I would vote for that.
Impressions on Reading Aldous Huxley and The End Is dark at times, but as a full album it's rather pleasant/easy on the ears. A "perfect" album experience from Prologue to Epilogue. I think it has a potentially a quite broad appeal, if only people would give it a chance. Not as in millions of listeners, but maybe similar to Bo Hansson - Lord of the Rings?

I think I may and up giving my vote to Crystal Lake myself. It has a sooting effect on me. I suppose that goes a little against it being dark, but I'm transported to a beautifully cold, lonely and desolate place. And that has a comforting effect, that I rarely get from more joyous music. Even Köhntarkösz Anteria is a little too much for me:)  
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 00:03
Tangerine Dream
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 00:16
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Mies Davis gets my vote.

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

This particular Miles Davis cut rules.

One of the most devastatingly beautiful dirges in music.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 00:32
Phaedra is one of my favorite LPs of all time!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 10:34
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I decided to check out Steve Roach for the first time ever. Started with the title track from Structures From Silence, as the album stood out in his discography with its whopping 5,055 ratings, 72 reviews and a solid 3.85/5 at RYM. I don't mind New Age really, but this was just a little too uneventful, and I didn't find the sounds of the synths he used attractive either. It turned out 2.71 from 21 ratings and 2 reviews at Progarchives made more sense to me. I couldn't finish the track - or album.

Instead I tried (the full version of) Looking For Safety. Now that was more like it. So right now I'm listening to Dreamtime Return from the beginning. And pretty much loving it.

I do like Structures from Silence, but that's not the place to start. But you've already found Dreamtime Return and you love it, so that's great!

Back-track one album to Empetus, which is widely considered one of his best, if not his best. You'll also want to hear his first two albums Now and Traveler, and the live album Stormwarning.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 11:59
Hi,

Strange that folks think that PHAEDRA is dark and long. Much more "dark" would be the other piece on the side 2 of the album "Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares" that even scared me when I first heard it ... didn't quite scare me, it just bothered me badly, and I had to listen to it again to figure out why I reacted the way I did!

I keep thinking that "Electric Storm in Hell" is much more like it, or even the fun'est of them all to listen to and try to make sense of ... "Cottonwood Hill", specially with the woman going nuts on it! A girl I went to see TD with in SB thought that it was a bit over the top, but not quite that far out of the mind's way during sex ... all over the place and all that! ESiH is a bit harsher and more difficult to interpret, but it is nutz!

Both pieces in that KS album are fantastic and truly beautiful. Wish you could hear Guy Guden's version of that album in those days! It was heavenly!

Edited by moshkito - September 14 2021 at 12:03
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 15:03
Moonsongs is spectacular and can beat Art Zoyd, which is remarkable given that I am a huge Art Zoyd fan.
Re Phaedra I've got to say that I think it's a hugely important album and I respect it big time, but I enjoy listening more to the TD albums around it. 

PS: Hadn't heard that Guapo one, checking it out now, also phantastic!

Edited by Lewian - September 14 2021 at 15:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 01:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Strange that folks think that PHAEDRA is dark and long. Much more "dark" would be the other piece on the side 2 of the album "Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares" that even scared me when I first heard it ... didn't quite scare me, it just bothered me badly, and I had to listen to it again to figure out why I reacted the way I did!

I keep thinking that "Electric Storm in Hell" is much more like it, or even the fun'est of them all to listen to and try to make sense of ... "Cottonwood Hill", specially with the woman going nuts on it! A girl I went to see TD with in SB thought that it was a bit over the top, but not quite that far out of the mind's way during sex ... all over the place and all that! ESiH is a bit harsher and more difficult to interpret, but it is nutz!

Both pieces in that KS album are fantastic and truly beautiful. Wish you could hear Guy Guden's version of that album in those days! It was heavenly!
Electric Storm in Hell lasts for only seven minutes, and that's not even half as long as it needs to for my poll. I need to follow my own rules you know. But it sure scared me and my best friend sh*tless back in the days (we hid under the table while stupid, stoned). The magical mystery tour of Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares lasts a little longer but still less than ten minutes - which simply isn't long enough. You may may not think of Phaedra as "dark", but it's all doom and gloom to me - and my wife. I trust my wife's reaction more than yours really. And that way I know that Phaedra=dark, Stratosfear=light - Facelift=dark, Slightly All the Time=light etc...

Besides this is not meant as a "darkest music ever made-competition". Then something unlistenable by the likes of Luigi Nono, Masonna or Merzbow would "win". But none of those are all that relevant to me.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - September 15 2021 at 01:58
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 06:57
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Then something unlistenable by the likes of Luigi Nono, Masonna or Merzbow would "win". 

I can testify that at least two of these are actually listenable. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>