0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Lightning Round Poll: Loved Songs
    Posted: September 13 2021 at 11:15
Since there will be a delay between Interactive Polls (last one ended officially on Friday and the next one can not go up until this Friday), I thought it might be fun to have a quick lightning round. We'll see if we can get our votes up before the next poll starts. The idea is you have until tomorrow to nominate a song. That song must be one of your favourites (I do ask this time to try to keep to shorter tracks).

Lightning rounds might be fun to do when there will be delays between the generally two week long Interactive polls.

Mention and nominate one song that you love, is meaningful to you, and feel represents you somehow, and I will add to the list quite quickly. This time knownness can help to make listening easier, so when you vote (for two choices maybe or just one this round not your own?) I ask that you not exclude ones that you know or know very well.

My nomination is one I nominated in an earlier Interactive Poll: Nick Drake's River Man.

So please to any who want to participate please try to get up your loved by you song of choice up quickly (I was going to include one in PA, but then thought no, let's stick to ones not in PA -- important thing is the song is really important to you). I don't expect a huge amount of participation, and that;s okay, since this is a lightning round.

The list.

Nick Drake - River Man 
Sfinx - Din Nou Acasa 
King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man (Including "Mirrors") 
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Dead Flag Blues
Bruce Springsteen w/ Tom Morello - The Ghost of Tom Joad (live) 
Silly - Raus aus der Spur 
Donald Byrd - Cristo Redentor 
Andrew Lloyd Webber/ Tim Rice - Everything's Alright (from "Jesus Christ Superstar") 
Jackson Browne - For a Dancer 
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy 
Emmylou Harris & Albert Lee - Country Boy 
Sound of Contact - Not Coming Down 
Vlatko Stefanovski & Miroslav Tadić - Jovano, Jovanke 
The Beach Boys - 'Til I Die
Sebastian - Flyv Lykkefugl*

Edited by Logan - September 17 2021 at 05:48
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 11:42
nice idea, i hope i can come up with a song. i'm writing with my phone,my laptop broke this morning,took it to be repaired. i don't know how to post videos with the phone. i'll see what i can do
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 11:49
^ Sorry to hear about your laptop, Cristi, and thanks for the words. I do post topics off my phone quite often (I always manually tag videos and keep my fingers pressed on the screen to copy paste text or a link with my phone). That said, if you mention the song, I can always add the video if it's a problem (if you don't mind, I can edit it into your post or just quote you and then add the video. That would be no problem to me).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 11:53
^ thanks for your help, i'll think of a song soon and post the artist - song name

Edited by Cristi - September 13 2021 at 11:54
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 12:47
Sfinx - Din Nou Acasa

Edited by Logan - September 13 2021 at 13:52
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 13:24
Trying to come up with one that hits the criteria, just a crazy busy day.  Great idea though, Greg!
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 13:26
This is difficult because there are so many possibilities for different reasons. For example, a track that I posted very recently in the A-Z thread, Peter Hammill - Stranger Still, speaks to me in a personal way, and I even changed my signature to a lyric from that track. Van der Graaf Generator - A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, my all time favourite track, is probably too long for this poll. Van der Graaf Generator - Lost or Van der Graaf Generator - Pioneers Over C are my next favourite shorter tracks. Peter Hammill - Mr X (Gets Tense) is my favourite Peter Hammill track from a musical perspective. Or I could go for the most important track in my musical life:

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 14:12
The track I would have nominated is "Starless" by King Crimson.  Two problems with that:  It's too long for this poll and (see above).  

So, I'll go with this because it matches the mood of the day (and the weather, it looks like it's 9 pm outside and it's between 3:30-4:00 pm, dark from an approaching storm).  TCat's Quick Pick:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - "Dead Flag Blues"  (EDIT:  Please note:  The video posted here is just the first movement of the suite, so if you have to listen to the selection through another method because this one won't work for you, you only have to listen to the first 6 minutes 7 seconds of the suite)

Edited by TCat - September 17 2021 at 15:52

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 14:23
Thanks to Logan who, with this poll, has returned to my original inspiration: posting songs that have meant a lot to our lives.

I grew up with the music of Bruce Springsteen, and in 1995 I discovered, thanks to him, John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath, of which I had already read Of Mice and Men. I discovered this exceptional American novel thanks to the song The Ghost of Tom Joad, inspired by the book's protagonist. I read the book, watched the 1940 film with Henry Fonda, and fell in love with John Steinbeck, whose books I read almost all of (I recommend to everyone, besides these two already mentioned, In Dubious Battle).

In this song there is all of John Steinbeck's humanitarian philosophy, Springsteen's lyrics are able to summarize Steinbeck's message in a poetic way, and this song represents me very well, also because two Italian Americans sing it. I love it both for the lyrics and for the energy with which Springsteen and Morello sing and play it, because I see that they believe in what they sing with all their heart.

Bruce Springsteen feat. Tom Morello - The Ghost of Tom Joad (live)

Edited by jamesbaldwin - September 14 2021 at 06:23
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 14:27
Not sure whether another poll will bring an opportunity for this one... in memory of Tamara Danz, 1952-1996, best singer of the German Democratic Republic.
I don't think I can say that this one "represents" me in some way, however it brings back memories of the first years of my interest in music when I regularly listened to the "Beatkiste" from the east of our divided country on long wave (I don't know anyone else from the west who did that), which was a bloody good show really, on which I first heard the Comsat Angels (!) and Talk Talk (!!) and some good stuff that the GDR had on offer. They also once brought a long Tangerine Dream interview (who were quite communist at the time), a Pink Floyd special etc.

Silly - Raus aus der Spur, lyrics:

Edited by Lewian - September 13 2021 at 14:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 15:29
For something completely different from me.  This  was my mother's favourite song.  She left far too early, at age 47.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 15:35
Nice, a blitz poll. I will post something that I think was rather seminal in the development of my musical consciousness and thus the development of my musical preferences...
I have a vague memory, I must have been five years old, that my parents bought their DUAL record player, sound system and loudspeakers and probably also some vinyls to play: Simon & Garfunkel (Sounds of Silence), Tchaikovsky (Symphonie pathétique) and the 2LP soundtrack of Jesus Christ Superstar... This last one, we listened to it regularly as kids, it fascinated us and especially me. A couple of years later, during one of our holidays to England, our parents took us to see the West-End theatre performance in London; I was probably 8 or 9 at that time. Very impressive! Anyway, this soundtrack has kept its special place in my listening experience and now of course also in my collection (and I prefer it by far over the classic Broadway recording!). The melodies, the vocal performances, the story-telling, the distorted guitars, the synth sounds and the orchestrations... Many things that really fascinated me from the start (I only saw the film itself much later...). So, almost every track from this album is special to me, but I propose Everything's Alright. Musically maybe not the most interesting, but the vocal performances are stellar, by the three main characters: Yvonne Elliman (in the role of Mary Magdalene - what a majestic voice!), Carl Anderson (Judas) and Ted Neely (In the role of Jesus. Yes, I really think he is much more interesting in this rock-opera than Murray Head who did the Broadway performances..):

Edited by suitkees - September 13 2021 at 15:38

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 15:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Since there will be a delay between Interactive Polls (last one ended officially on Friday and the next one can not go up until this Friday), I thought it might be fun to have a quick lightning round. We'll see if we can get our votes up before the next poll starts. The idea is you have until tomorrow to nominate a song. That song must be one of your favourites (I do ask this time to try to keep to shorter tracks).

Lightning rounds might be fun to do when there will be delays between the generally two week long Interactive polls.

Mention and nominate one song that you love, is meaningful to you, and feel represents you somehow, and I will add to the list quite quickly. This time knownness can help to make listening easier, so when you vote (for two choices maybe or just one this round not your own?) I ask that you not exclude ones that you know or know very well.

My nomination is one I nominated in an earlier Interactive Poll: Nick Drake's River Man.

So please to any who want to participate please try to get up your loved by you song of choice up quickly (I was going to include one in PA, but then thought no, let's stick to ones not in PA -- important thing is the song is really important to you). I don't expect a huge amount of participation, and that;s okay, since this is a lightning round.

Greg, we could wait until thursday to choose the nomination, and vote starting from friday. How about it?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 15:45
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

This is difficult because there are so many possibilities for different reasons. For example, a track that I posted very recently in the A-Z thread, Peter Hammill - Stranger Still, speaks to me in a personal way, and I even changed my signature to a lyric from that track. Van der Graaf Generator - A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, my all time favourite track, is probably too long for this poll. Van der Graaf Generator - Lost or Van der Graaf Generator - Pioneers Over C are my next favourite shorter tracks. Peter Hammill - Mr X (Gets Tense) is my favourite Peter Hammill track from a musical perspective. Or I could go for the most important track in my musical life:

You like to win easily, dont you?Wink

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 16:09
Originally posted by JamesBaldwin JamesBaldwin wrote:

Greg, we could wait until thursday to choose the nomination, and vote starting from friday. How about it?

Absolutely Lorenzo. Since Nickie is fine with delaying her poll, I would rather this be not such a blitzkrieg idea and instead start voting on Friday.

Edited by Logan - September 13 2021 at 16:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 16:35
Good idea, less rushy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 17:39
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Video removed for space.  Lorenzo, I can't see this one here, is there more info you can give so I can find the exact one?  Your story is very moving with this, I want the right pairing.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 02:18
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Good idea, less rushy!

The whole kind of conception (idea) of this was to put it together in an easy way that it could be rushy, but two days to nominate and two days to vote was more rushy than would have been ideal and when I saw the message about delaying your poll, then I thought it would make sense to extend it (I was thinking maybe by Thursday at the time cause nomination is the very easy part, at least for me -- when I see a new poll, ideas come to my mind immediately). I did rather want to see how well a lightning round could work as a stopgap when there are delays between polls (even if few people participate in a lightning round, it could still be fun).

My preference would be more than one every two weeks of the Interactive Polls -- maybe with each poll lasting two weeks, but an overlap so that when one is doing the nomination round another is doing the voting round and I liked the one a week as it started (then they went to two weeks, two and a half weeks or even three weeks sometimes), but I realise this is hard on people such as yourself who take the time to do write-ups of the selections, and for those who need lots of time to listen to suggestions multiple times. I come up with suggestion ideas very quickly even in the harder polls, and with this being based on one's favourites that are meaningful to you while not worrying about knownness the task becomes easier still to come up with one. My general memory might be poor now, but I still have a good memory when it comes to remembering music.

With this running longer, I would have approached this differently but I am happy for it to have little more time to breathe if it isn't putting you out.
By the way, I had meant to exclude Prog, but failed to express that or maybe I was just thinking all that matters is that it is meaningful to you. I put this poll together as fast as my fingers can go and had some conflicting ideas. What matters is that the music matters to people, Prog or not, well-known or not. I definitely am more interested in seeing what people have as favourite songs rather than how the votes go. Since the nomination round is lasting a couple of days longer, I won't put the nominations up in the list as people mention them (I had planned to do that). Also, I was thinking to make this just vote for one or two, but now we can probably make it three again. Well, assuming enough people participate. Might be weird then if no one else contributes.

Note if this post is overly rambly and badly expressed or thought out (been trying to keep the rambles to a minimum), I recently got woken up out of sleep after one hour, and then I can't get back to sleep when that happens. Excuses, excuses. ;)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 04:18
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Video removed for space.  Lorenzo, I can't see this one here, is there more info you can give so I can find the exact one?  Your story is very moving with this, I want the right pairing.

Does it work?
https://youtu.be/mzRbeHyIomk
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 05:55
^ Your embed had worked for me, Lorenzo, and so does that as labeled "Bruce Springsteen & Tom Morello - The ghost of Tom Joad (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, 2009)" youtube link for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>