Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seven long tracks from 1970

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: If you vote then vote for one that you appreciate.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [10.20%]
6 [12.24%]
4 [8.16%]
2 [4.08%]
21 [42.86%]
5 [10.20%]
6 [12.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seven long tracks from 1970
    Posted: September 14 2021 at 03:24
I deliberately wanted to keep this list quite short, and I might do a part two. These are the longest track from the listed seven bands from their studio albums of 1970 (VdGG released two albums in 1970, but this is the longest track).

Can - Mother Sky

Gentle Giant - Nothing at All

King Crimson - The Devil's Triangle

Magma - Naü Ektila

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Soft Machine - Moon in June (one second longer than Out-Bloody-Rageous)

Van der Graaf Generator - Pioneers Over C

This is one poll where I would find it very hard to pick.

Edited by Logan - September 14 2021 at 03:30
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 03:43
Atom Heart Mother rules, for me. I've got incredibly amazed.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 03:43
Atom Heart Mother is my favorite from these, a track that seems to get better and better with age. Pioneers Over C isn't far behind.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 03:44
tough choice
Soft Machine i guess
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 03:49
MIJ juust over MS
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 04:17
I've always found the Atom Heart Mother suite to be very moo-ving. Smile
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 04:25
Oh... of course I love them all. But I know its one of the two tracks I've heard hundreds of times, that always sound fresh and I will never tire of... and I've often tried to "force" onto others (sometimes successfully): Naü Ektila or Mother Sky. 1970 - what an amazing year for open minded, far out creativity in all things "rock". I think it sort of peaked in that regard. I often also prefer so-called transitional music/albums.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 04:51
That Soft Machine song - only bettered by the BBC version (which I first heard on 'Triple Echo')
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 05:26
The Floyds.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 05:44
When I first thought of doing this poll, I was going to do it as King Crimson's album In the Wake of Poseidon against Soft Machine's Third. I was curious how a lower rated and rather divisive in its way album by a recognised giant in Prog with over twice the number of ratings would fare against an album that gets much respect and a fair amount of disrespect as it is also divisive enough amongst Proggers generally for me to want to use the term divisive, ;) , and while being a giant of Canterbury Scene (not as known as Caravan), Soft Machine hardly gets as much recognition as King Crimson generally. I like In the Wake of Poseidon very much, and much more than many. I'm more likely to re-play that than the debut and it is very interesting to me with how it fits in KC's oeuvre, but I really, really love Third. As is common, with me, I then planned to include two tracks as examples, the longest ones. That KC track would be a particularly inaccessible track to many, whereas "Moon in June", while having experimental qualities, would I think be generally more accessible (I like The Devil's Triangle" more in the context of the album than on its own). As one review put it regarding Third, "Setting aside 'Moon in June' for the moment, there is nothing remotely musical here ... 'Moon in June' does have suggestions of a tune...." To me it is very tuneful, and I find the whole album musical, but different brains interpret sounds and use language differently.

Then I changed my mind and decided to include those long tracks and various other long ones as well. I do like track against track polls, and tend to prefer albums vs album than band vs. band because I tend to like to move towards the more specific when comparing....

For me the poll choices would come down to "Mother Sky" (for a long time my most favoured Can track and still one of the very top -- love at first listen), "Moon in June" (not my favourite off Third on early listens, but it came to be and may be my favourite Soft Machine track), Magma 's "Naü Ektila" (my fave Magma album and I love this track), and Atom Heart Mother may well be my favourite Pink Floyd. That GG has a very special place in my heart. I like the VdGG one very much too but I have to be in the right mood, and I generally do prefer the albums that bookend H to He, although H to He is still a five star album to me.

Right now I'm leaning towards "Moon in June", "Mother Sky" and "Naü Ektila". Those first two probably do stand out more for me both on their albums and in their oeuvre. "Mother Sky" and "Halleluwah" were two tracks that wowed me when I first started getting into Can.

Of course the Atom Heart Mother suite is a major standout on its album for me....

Okay I voted "Mother Sky", partially because I love the groove and also because it had no votes.

Edited by Logan - September 14 2021 at 06:03
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 06:42
King Crimson, without a doubt.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 07:16
VDGG for me just ahead of Floyd.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 07:24
Can't choose. All great.

Other possible inclusions could have been:

T2 - Morning 21:12
Caravan - Can't Be Long Now / Françoise / For Richard / Warlock 14:21
Czesław Niemen - Bema pamięci żałobny - rapsod 16:27
High Tide - Saneonymous 14:25

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 12:07
VDGG of course.  Big smile
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 12:41
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

VDGG of course.  Big smile

Indeed, how could we possibly have guessed otherwise from someone called Gentle and Giant that it could be anything other than Van and der Graaf Generator?    
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 12:43
Atom Heart Mother, but it only a hair better than Moon in June
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 13:18
CAN
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 13:48
CAN rulez, everyone else drulez.....its a proven fact LOL Clap
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 14:34
Moon in June from this line up
Songs cast a light on you
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 14:46
I like all of these. Even Can's dated trippy jam could count on a warm welcome since my neighbour was busy irritating me, working with a hammer and a drill while I was doing my daily job on the same floor.

Ranking:
Floyd > VdGG > Magma > GG > SM >= Crimso > Can

Edited by someone_else - September 15 2021 at 00:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>