17 [58.62%]
6 [20.69%]
5 [17.24%]
1 [3.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kosmische Musik III
    Posted: September 14 2021 at 17:15
I wonder if Can has a shot here.LOL

"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 17:23
Can- Tago Mago
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 17:25
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I wonder if Can has a shot here.LOL

Yes it can!

I think I'll be voting for Can because I can, but can I do the can-can?. 

That said, I don't know Vinegar and so I won't vote before I have had the opportunity to check out music from that.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 18:19
Can has a shot indeed, but I voted for Guru Gugu.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 18:22
Tago Mago - Iconic album, one of the big towers of prog.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 20:57
I'll toss a pity vote to Guru Guru, and that Popol Vuh album is one of my favorites from them. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 21:16
I just listened to Vinegar a little while ago and loved it.   It sounds raw and quite sloppy, but in a way I really dig. I love this kind of slightly dirty and groovy psych blues rock. Very cool one to have slipped me by.   I subsequently looked at the reviews and see it didn’t get much respect in general, a vinegar reaction one might say, but I respect your review, John. Glad I checked it out, and will again.. it stayed underground for me too long. Still, my vote is going to the amazing Tago Mago. I was tempted to go with the Popol Vuh.

Now going to play one of my favourites from Germany, Message’s From Books and Dreams.

Edited by Logan - September 14 2021 at 21:17
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2021 at 21:49
CAN rulez....Everyone else droolz!!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 06:07
CAN > Popol Vuh > Guru Guru

All very good albums but Tago Mago is a masterpiece
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 09:33
I love Popol Vuh too, but Can is in a league of its own here.

GAM - Eiszeit is a great lost album. Probably obscured a little extra by having the worst early 2000's CD-ROM styled cover imaginable. I think Günter Schickert is one of krautrock's unsung heroes. His soundscapes are always intriguing. I relistened to Überfällig the other day, after it appeared in one of your polls. The whole album is a terrific listen but I had forgotten just how fantastic Puls is.

Vinegar's only album is a charming mess. A bit amateurish and the vocals annoy me somewhat. But the album ends with a genuine kraut-masterwork in Fleisch... which almost makes up for everything

I notice how nuts some of you are over Guru Guru, but I've always found them quite underwhelming. Guess I'm simply not too crazy about heavy guitar jams with extended soloing. The kraut - or any other music I do enjoy are rarely about that at all.

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 22:03
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I'll toss a pity vote to Guru Guru, and that Popol Vuh album is one of my favorites from them. 

I'm surprised at the votes for UFO I thought it would be Popol Vuh as the runner up.
That Guru Guru album was my first from them and I thought they were so bad ass. An instrumental album that's powerful, heavy and dark. Ax Gerich is all over this with his Hendrix inspired guitar. And that album cover is like visual static. Of course once I checked out subsequent albums I discovered Mani is a clown and they use a lot of humour in their music.
That's my favourite Popol Vuh album and about my third different favourite from them over the years. It just sounds different sound-wise at least after listening to Seligprseisung recently a prior favourite.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 22:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

CAN rulez....Everyone else droolz!!

Pass out the bibs!

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 22:10
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I just listened to Vinegar a little while ago and loved it.   It sounds raw and quite sloppy, but in a way I really dig. I love this kind of slightly dirty and groovy psych blues rock. Very cool one to have slipped me by.   I subsequently looked at the reviews and see it didn’t get much respect in general, a vinegar reaction one might say, but I respect your review, John. Glad I checked it out, and will again.. it stayed underground for me too long. Still, my vote is going to the amazing Tago Mago. I was tempted to go with the Popol Vuh.

Now going to play one of my favourites from Germany, Message’s From Books and Dreams.

I hoped someone might mention Vinegar but wasn't expecting this. I have the Garden of Delights re-issue with lots of pictures and info. They mention that when they formed they named themselves Vinegar because they wanted to play music that was hard to digest in opposition to the sweet stuff others were playing. The violin is a nice touch.
Book Of Dreams is a good one I'm sure you enjoyed.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 22:17
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I love Popol Vuh too, but Can is in a league of its own here.

GAM - Eiszeit is a great lost album. Probably obscured a little extra by having the worst early 2000's CD-ROM styled cover imaginable. I think Günter Schickert is one of krautrock's unsung heroes. His soundscapes are always intriguing. I relistened to Überfällig the other day, after it appeared in one of your polls. The whole album is a terrific listen but I had forgotten just how fantastic Puls is.

Vinegar's only album is a charming mess. A bit amateurish and the vocals annoy me somewhat. But the album ends with a genuine kraut-masterwork in Fleisch... which almost makes up for everything

I notice how nuts some of you are over Guru Guru, but I've always found them quite underwhelming. Guess I'm simply not too crazy about heavy guitar jams with extended soloing. The kraut - or any other music I do enjoy are rarely about that at all.

I have Gunter on this list three times including this band GAM. Apparently this was restored and edited by Alan Freeman from Cosmic Egg and he came up with the cover art.LOL Julian Cope praised GAM's 1976 sessions saying they blew his mind. 

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 22:23
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Tago Mago - Iconic album, one of the big towers of prog.

Can were like a "mighty pulsing organism". And this is them at their most adventerous including that album cover of the guy coughing out his brains. Oops. 

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 02:12
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I have Gunter on this list three times including this band GAM. Apparently this was restored and edited by Alan Freeman from Cosmic Egg and he came up with the cover art.LOL Julian Cope praised GAM's 1976 sessions saying they blew his mind. 
Ah, so he's to blame for it himself:). What was he thinking? I do occasionally judge a book by its cover (there's just too much available out there, I have to filter out some things somehow), so I wouldn't have given it the time of day - if I wasn't already aware of Günter Schickert. I mean who wouldn't be more intrigued by a Cosmic Jokers, Ash Ra Tempel or an early Amon Düül II-album?
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2022 at 07:08
Can- Tago Mago
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2022 at 07:27
Hi,

It's hard to go against TAGO MAGO

The only thing that goes by us all is how much of it was simply sheer improvisation combined with what Holger had stated many times, was combed from 20 hours of tapes! We still think there is some sort of "composition" in all this when as a matter of fact, the whole thing was "anti-composition" ... an attitude that we dislike tremendously in regard to "Progressive Music" and its overrated number of bands, where it is all about their ability to simply write another conventional piece of music with slight variations here and there.

Both Popol Vuh, and Guru Guru, in those early albums were quite improvised, and you can hear it better in one of the early releases of live material when GG goes insane with the sound, the atmosphere and the incredible storm ... something that we always thought only Jimi could ever do something like that! And yet, this guitar player made us look dumb for even thinking so, although we do not give him any credit whatsoever for his storm of sound, and ability to create an incredible atmosphere for this early material by this band. Sadly, they could not keep it up either and later were to become a mere shadow of the original, although still fun.

Popol Vuh, was experimental right from the start. Remember that it was specified that he bought a synth from KS in order to learn it, and eventually he dumped it for music that was more acoustic than experimental, although I think that the underlying feeling was improvisational, by the time you get to the later material you end up thinking that improvisation is a sister to ritual ... which I'm not sure it is! Ritual tends to be slightly restricted as to the procedures and doings, although music for it, might be considered a side issue, and not exactly a part of it all. So, there would be some serious considerations here, so we get a better understanding of our choices.

I would rather this vote was for the most "improvised" of all the Progressive Music materials, and both Popol Vuh, Can, Guru Guru, and especially Amon Duul 2 in the earlier days ... would be at the top of the list. 

But we have a hard time conceiving something that is improvised ... and we cannot even sit and compare the incredible atmosphere for the MM thing on Dance of the Lemmings, when put at the side of the two long pieces in Tago Mago ... AD2 in that album stands up magnificently as it did in their previous album ... but we go by favorites, not by listen and their value. AD2 is not a band that is liked because they are so different from album to album as to alienate people ... and makes us wonder what is going on?

Maybe one day we will get, and understand, what helped define and make what we know as "krautrock" ... or what I like to suggest is music for the musically intelligent instead of the musically inept that can only count to four and variations there after!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2022 at 12:36
Popol Vuh. I have never understood/don't understand the love/fascination with Can.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2022 at 12:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>