Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ECM records

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Your favourite release from this eclectic label?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.45%]
5 [16.13%]
2 [6.45%]
3 [9.68%]
12 [38.71%]
2 [6.45%]
1 [3.23%]
4 [12.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 01:34
RTF.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 14:05
Weber, RTF, Hassell
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 19:02
Hi,

Hard to compete with RTF, which I saw in concert with Ponty.

I would wish that Egberto Gismonti was more widely represented, as he has in several albums a full side (almost 20 minutes) and they are far out and very neat. And his excursions into somewhat classical music are kinda surprisingly nice. NO CAIPIRA is the album I am thinking of although some folks might think it has smaller cuts. But no one can satisfy with an acoustic guitar as beautifully as Egberto does to my ears.

ECM has been, since 1972 my special appreciation label. The only thing of theirs I have never found was something of a classical piece with a chromatic harp (I think) that was done with what appears to be an orchestra, and it wasn't Toots or anyone else that is famous for the harp. It is the only album I have never "found", and maybe it is not ECM, but it would certainly be something that ECM would entertain quickly.

Edited by moshkito - September 16 2021 at 19:04
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 10:44
Of the choices given, I'm voting for The Colours of Chloe (a timeless masterpiece) just over the Gateway and Solstice albums (which are also masterpieces). After the Rain and Bright Size Life have passionate followings, but I've never understood why they are so popular (which is not to say they are bad records).
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 11:29
Hi,

One of the albums I love a lot (make sure to skip the first piece!!! You've been warned!) is EOS that Terje did with David Darling and it is a fantastic album of what I would like to think is "chamber music" for an electric guitar and some effects, which both Dave and Terje use beautifully to create tapestries that are fantastic. It's sad, and a shame that more people can not listen to that album. It is, by very far, one of the most far out things ECM has ever done in my book, aside from NO CAIPIRA and MAGICO, and THE KOLN CONCERT.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2021 at 03:42
Granted I haven't heard all of these just yet, but Colours of Chloe holds a big place in my heart and thus gets my vote (and out of these artists I love Jon Hassell most of all but find Power Spot one of his weakest albums).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12