Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New ELP Live box set

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New ELP Live box set
    Posted: September 15 2021 at 09:18
Emerson, Lake & Palmer to release 10 LP/7CD live box set | Louder (loudersound.com)

Out Of This World: Live (1970-1997) will be released through BMG Records on October 29 as part of Emerson, Lake & Palmer’s 50th Anniversary celebrations.

The new set pulls together five of the biggest and most important shows ELP played across their 50 illustrious years, including their performances at the Isle Of Wight Festival in 1970 and their headline show at the 1974 California Jam.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 12:04
oooo....hopefully the sound quality will be good as I can see myself being interested in this (assuming its mostly 70s shows of course)
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 12:40

Nice, but Works Live and the Royal Albert Hall shows were both included in full as bonus tracks on the recent expanded CD reissues of Works Vol. 2 and Black Moon respectively.

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 13:22
Thanks for the notice. I might get this. I never got around to replacing the live albums I had from them on LP back in the day and this would be a great way to get a bunch of recordings at one time.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 16:25
I'll be looking forward to seeing which concerts they pick. I already have about 225 live recordings of them. From the worse of the worse to the best of the best, 1971 to 1998 and then the 2010 final few after that (gotta get 'em all) !

Late edit:
Just noticed the link in the OP. Checking my collection now.

All I'm missing is:
Union Hall, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, 23 September, 1997

Maybe I'll have a listen to mine over the next few days and post some comments on the shows.

Edited by JD - September 15 2021 at 16:43
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 18:20
Does this set include the shows during which they would use the Mellotron?
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 18:31
Wasn't that only for some of the Trilogy album stuff?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 19:04
The Isle of Wright show is great, they were more of a crazy jam band then. Greg Lake has more room to do what he can do on the bass.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 01:03
Had this (Vinyl) on order for a while. All the details are in the link.

As pointed out , its mostly just re-releasing stuff in a nice package. The Cal jam concert is gold but the best bits have been readily made available on the Then and Now compilation.

Edited by richardh - September 16 2021 at 01:06
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 01:05
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Does this set include the shows during which they would use the Mellotron?

no. Those are incredibly rare. Even the extensive Manticore bootleg box sets didn't include them! Lake gave it a go for a few shows (only on Abaddons Bolero) but then gave up when it kept breaking down!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 03:52
Didn't realize the contents were in the link. Probably going to be a pass from me. Only want those first two and that doesn't really justify the price. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 05:04
I’m looking forward to listen to this. Hopefully the sound quality will be good.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 02:13
^ The first three  have inevitable sound issues. The Isle Of Wight has almost the whole gig with a buzzing sound and along with Cal Jam is mono. Works Live suffered from well documented sound problems. The 90's live sets are going to be be much better but then its only ELP cranked up to about 7 and Carl was using electronic drums ( I'm not a fan) on the Royal Albert Hall which he later ditched during the Black Moon tour. I think the set is for ELP fans ultimately who want some vinyl ( ie me!).

Edited by richardh - September 17 2021 at 02:17
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 04:58

I've said this before on the forum, but BMG have in my opinion done a fantastic job curating the Emerson, Lake & Palmer catalogue. The re-issue series of the band’s albums, which was released in 2016/17 on CD and vinyl LP, is just great. I am very happy to have all the ELP albums in these new remastered versions; all of the studio albums on CD and the live Welcome Back my Friends… on vinyl (a triple LP). I also have Brain Salad Surgery on vinyl as well, which is well worth having because of the amazing die-cut sleeve.

With the sole exception of Love Beach, each of the reissued CD editions are double-disc sets and most have been expanded with bonus material. Like I said above, Works Live and Live at the Royal Albert Hall were both included in full as bonus tracks on Works Vol. 2 and Black Moon respectively. Also, In the Hot Seat had all the “now” tracks from the Then & Now live album as bonus tracks, which overlaps significantly with the Phoenix concert included in this new box set. Different show, but from the same tour.

So, the only reason that I would ever consider buying Out of This World would be as a collector’s item, and then on vinyl. Same with the 4LP Anthology set, which also looks really nice. The outer cover of the box is really nice, but the individual sleeves inside not so much.

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - September 19 2021 at 04:59
 Post Reply Post Reply