4 [12.90%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.45%]
12 [38.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dark and Long, part 3
    Posted: September 15 2021 at 14:04
Here's links to Dark and Long, part 1 & Dark and Long, part 2 - this third is the final one. 30 songs, nearly 10 hours of music.

-As some of you might have noticed, I’ve left out obvious dark and long epics such as A Plague of lighthouse keepers and Lizard. I love them, but they are in so many other polls all the time.

An Zero is the last track on this album and starts at 21:24

Present - Le Poison Qui Rend Fou, Part I was not on youtube, but you can listen to it here: Ram Ram Va Faire 'Pif Paf'

Beautiful Scarlet View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beautiful Scarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 15:40
Facelift is clearly better then the other songs in my opinions. 1. Not electronic music 2. Not ambient 3.  Organ

La Falx was okay
Music Music Music
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 16:42
Originally posted by Beautiful Scarlet Beautiful Scarlet wrote:

1. Not electronic music

Don't like electronic music? Too bad. I voted for Zanov. LOL
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 16:59
I know the least from this poll, so I wont vote right away but it'll take alot to beat SM, UZ, Present, and SC3. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 21:59
What a terrific list of names, and it makes it very hard.  I wouldn't miss wherever I hit.  Right now based on my current inclinations it is between the Zanov, the Wakhévitch, but then that Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes.  Can I vote?  I'll pay up by voting for "Paix". 
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 22:30
Again so many great tracks and Facelift instantly jumped out at me but in the end I went with Graublau from The Lost Tapes a triple disc affair that I value highly.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 00:34
Originally posted by Beautiful Scarlet Beautiful Scarlet wrote:

Facelift is clearly better then the other songs in my opinions. 1. Not electronic music 2. Not ambient 3.  Organ

La Falx was okay
I suppose no one is gonna love any of these when skipping through them for the first time. But only two of these qualify as electronic and are somewhat ambient (but not really).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 01:09
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

What a terrific list of names, and it makes it very hard.  I wouldn't miss wherever I hit.  Right now based on my current inclinations it is between the Zanov, the Wakhévitch, but then that Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes.  Can I vote?  I'll pay up by voting for "Paix". 
Glad that she gets a vote. All of her three Poème Non-Epique was up for consideration (or I and III). She's such a wonderfully expressionist artist -and a force of nature + Alpes are incredible at building and creating this hypnotic, floaty, pulsating, "organic motorik"-grooves.

-shame Beautiful Scarlet didn't notice Paix not being electronic or ambient and has the Patrice Lemoine (whom I first heard on Gong - Shamal) on organ.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 01:23
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Again so many great tracks and Facelift instantly jumped out at me but in the end I went with Graublau from The Lost Tapes a triple disc affair that I value highly.
I put Graublau right up there along with their "epic" classics You Doo Right, Mother Sky, Halleluwah and Bel Air (I should have included Aumgn, but I'll admit to sometimes playing only sides 1 & 2 on Tago Mago. Shame on me)

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 03:48
I love the Secret Chiefs 3 stuff you're posting. I really need to explore them more. I'll even vote for this despite the strong competition. Also very nice to be reminded of Deuter; I heard some of his stuff in the eighties, but not that much, and decided he isn't for me, but this one I really like.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 04:12
Tough one; this time I gave it to the mesmerising 'La Faulx' but love SM - the Present track is awesome too.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 04:14
slim pickings for me here, but I guess Soft Machine is the worthy one here. Big smile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 04:25
They're all new to me, they all sound wonderfully weird, but the only long song here that really grabs my attention is "Grablau". Can you dig it? Smile
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 05:03
First vote for Vangelis, from this fantastic list.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 07:04
Fantastic list

UZ > Present > SM > SC3 > CAN
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 16:36
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I love the Secret Chiefs 3 stuff you're posting. I really need to explore them more. I'll even vote for this despite the strong competition. Also very nice to be reminded of Deuter; I heard some of his stuff in the eighties, but not that much, and decided he isn't for me, but this one I really like.

I'm a pretty big fan of that "D" album and I think I have one more by him but "D" is worth checking out.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
rik wilson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 17:26
Soft Machine gets my vote. All the different live versions are like springboards for musical improvisation and excursions of delight. Spirit and Softs opened the jazz door for me in the sixties...good times.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 05:30
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I'm a pretty big fan of that "D" album and I think I have one more by him but "D" is worth checking out.
I haven't heard much of the later releases by Deuter, but enoght to know that it doesn't resemble "D" in any way. His second album "Aum" is lovely though.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 06:17
Graublau is a great track from the Can
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2022 at 23:38
Soft Machine - Facelift
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>