11 [61.11%]
1 [5.56%]
1 [5.56%]
3 [16.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kosmische Musik V
    Posted: September 18 2021 at 19:33
Hey maybe this will be the first poll of this series that isn't a blowout. But then again...
Going Embryo over Agitation Free and Et Cetera.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2021 at 19:38
I only have three of these in my collection: the Can, Embryo and Yatha Sidhra albums. I really like all three of those, but am going with A Meditation Mass.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2021 at 19:53
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I only have three of these in my collection: the Can, Embryo and Yatha Sidhra albums. I really like all three of those, but am going with A Meditation Mass.

I only have maybe three like A Meditation Mass on my Krautrock list. A flute led beauty and apparently they got help from Achim Reicel, Frank Dostal and Winifried Schmidt the executive producer whom they all thank in the liner notes along with the guest flute player. This is a trio with two of them being brothers.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2021 at 20:52
CAN
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2021 at 21:42
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

CAN

I laughed reading the liner notes where Karoli complained that the sessions for "Ege Bamyasi" were frustrated by Damo and Irma playing chess constantly night and day.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 01:48
Toughest poll yet. 

Really great choices, especially the last four. I'll give Knirsch a vote. Love the jazzy up tempo vibes 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 02:09

I have those plus Knirsch, which is quite good. Embryo and Yatha Sidhra are wonderful, but only Can themselves can match Ege Bamyasi (imo).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 02:23
Can- Ege Bamyasi
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 07:01
All great albums, but Ege Bamyasi has the widest range of music among these choices.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 07:06
Ege Bamyasi, I love that album. Nice to see Knirsch on the list though, very good album.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 08:06
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I have those plus Knirsch, which is quite good. Embryo and Yatha Sidhra are wonderful, but only Can themselves can match Ege Bamyasi (imo).

It's a bit okra vs. herbal tea for me.

All three of those albums score high for me.  I really like each one in its own way.  They're different enough from each other that they are not three albums that I would tend to readily compare or match (I understand why in this poll series they are being matched).  I think I did a poll with Yatha Sidhra before and went against Popol Vuh's Hosianna Mantra and Sergius Golowin's Lord Krishna von Goloka as they all have certain mystical meditative qualities (as does Dom's Edge of Time and many others in Krautrock and Indo Prog Rag Rock...).  I love the flute.

I love Ege Bamyasi, but I get something quite different out of A Meditation Mass.  

Edited by Logan - September 19 2021 at 08:08
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 13:00
Can!
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 14:13
By the way, Spoon as a track is top 3 of all time for me. The drum part (played together with a rhythm machine!) is one of the most incredible things in the history of humankind. (Am I exaggerating? Hardly... Tongue) And then Ege Bamyasi has Vitamin C on top of it.

Edited by Lewian - September 19 2021 at 14:14
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 18:08
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Toughest poll yet. 

Really great choices, especially the last four. I'll give Knirsch a vote. Love the jazzy up tempo vibes 

Yes! Well you know if Wolfgang Dauner is involved were going to get some Jazz and this is his baby. Larry Coryell wrote the opener and plays guitar on this album. Fred Braceful and Jon Hiseman share the drumming. Killer album!

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 18:12

All three of those albums score high for me.  I really like each one in its own way.  They're different enough from each other that they are not three albums that I would tend to readily compare or match (I understand why in this poll series they are being matched).  I think I did a poll with Yatha Sidhra before and went against Popol Vuh's Hosianna Mantra and Sergius Golowin's Lord Krishna von Goloka as they all have certain mystical meditative qualities (as does Dom's Edge of Time and many others in Krautrock and Indo Prog Rag Rock...).  I love the flute.

I love Ege Bamyasi, but I get something quite different out of A Meditation Mass.  

Another album in that Popol Vuh, Yatha Sidhra, Sergius Golowin vein is Between's "And The Waters Opened". In fact one of the tracks sounds so much like Popol Vuh.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 19:12
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Another album in that Popol Vuh, Yatha Sidhra, Sergius Golowin vein is Between's "And The Waters Opened". In fact one of the tracks sounds so much like Popol Vuh.

Thanks very much, John. I definitely will look for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply