1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Poll #-50 Lesser Known Prog
    Posted: September 19 2021 at 11:38
PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST, THIS POLL HAS IT'S OWN EXTRA PARAMETERS.  PLEASE DO NOT VOTE UNTIL POLLING IS "OPEN."

POLL TOPIC IS LESSER KNOWN PROGRESSIVE ARTISTS, THEY SHOULD HAVE LESS THAN 50 RATINGS IN PROGARCHIVES TO QUALIFY. 

In hope that we find some new progressive acts to enjoy, please present some favourites of yours for whom you would like to boost the signal.

For those that are new to these interactive polls (they are open to everyone), here are the rules, this one varies slightly from the usual way we conduct these, and how other polls are conducted here, so please read carefully:

1. Post (only) two songs/pieces by artists listed in ProgArchives that have less than 50 ratings (for that recording alone) that you enjoy.  This would not mean new heavy hitters with not many reviews yet.  I know 2 is hard for some to stick with, but many prog pieces are longer and take more time to consider.  
2. Listen to the songs posted by the other participants and, if you want to, post comments.
3. From the 2 songs/pieces that you posted, pick one that you want everyone else to vote on and tell us all which one you picked.  Usually it is a good idea to wait and see if any comments may spur you to select the "in competition," song/piece.
4. After about a week, we will open up voting.  At this time, vote on your favorite three (3) songs/pieces nominated that are not your own and preferably not songs/pieces that you were already familiar with.
5. List the songs/pieces that you voted for and leave a comment if you want about why you voted for them. 
6. Keep all your comments polite and non-personal.  It's the music we're voting on, not the members.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.  Everyone is invited and we are always happy to have newcomers join in.

It's been a long time since we've done a prog poll, and I'm sure many of you know artists who are under-appreciated and would like to give them a bit of a boost.  This is the place to do it.  

My first selection is from Aesthysis' "Marea," from their Achromata release.  The recording has acquired 13 ratings on PA.  

My second selection is from Charlie Cawood.  "Flicker Out Of Being," features Marjana Semkina of iamthemorning on vocals and appears on Blurring Into Motion, which has achieved 20 ratings on PA.

Listen up, have fun, and I'll open up the poll for voting on Friday, October 1, to allow a full weekend from this first post for everyone to listen.  Again, please refrain from voting until advised.  

Edited by Snicolette - October 03 2021 at 08:31
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 12:11
Just to be sure, do you mean less than a total number of 50 ratings across the discography (assuming there are multiple albums) or just for the album itself?  I went for two that combined have a grand total of three ratings across the discographies included in PA.  Also, is it okay to include one in Prog Related?  If not, I will change from the William Sheller.

These are my two songs from albums that qualify for low ratings (both I added to PA).

William Sheller (included in Prog Related) has a total of one rating (I only added the Lux Aeterna album):

William Sheller - Hare Krishna

Changing, I have mentioned this a number of times in the forum, but I adore this:

Perry Leopold - The Journey (has 23 album ratings with Christian Lucifer)

Edited by Logan - September 19 2021 at 13:12
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 12:13

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 12:34
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Just to be sure, do you mean less than a total number of 50 ratings across the discography (assuming there are multiple albums) or just for the album itself?  I went for two that combined have a grand total of three ratings across the discographies included in PA.  

These are my two songs from albums that qualify for low ratings (both I added to PA).

William Sheller (included in Prog Related, so in PA, but the album this is off is considered Prog) has a total of one rating (I only added the Lux Aeterna album, which this is off):

William Sheller - Hare Krishna

These Trails (included in Prog Folk) has one album and total of two ratings in PA (one of those mine with a review).

These Trails - El Rey Pescador 

I opted to mention tracks that I rarely have mentioned in the forum.

If you mean just an album with less than 60 ratings, then I rather wish to consider doing a track from Message's Book and Dreams which has less than 60 ratings.  Nah, I think I've mentioned that too much in the forum already.  I'll stick with less known and very minimal ratings.
Videos removed for space

I've updated the original post with clarification.  Thanks for the question.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 12:43
^ While I sometimes take The Prisoner maxim that questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself, and tend to appreciate answers more than questions, you're welcome.  Thank you for taking the time to respond to it.  I actually preferred it with the less than fifty across the discography policy, but we're not all old time Proggers here with lots of obscurities to choose from, so I get why you would want to open this up to more potential people to make it pretty accessible.  I have  a huge number of albums included in PA with less than fifty ratings (fifty ratings is even a lot for a great deal of what I like since my tastes tend to be less Prog mainstream).  That said, I might now change a choice and this would have met the overall less than 50 ratings discography policy anyway.  Changed mine and then changed it back and then again changed one (bit worried too many who have followed my topics will know it).  I am so fickle and even more feckless.

Edited by Logan - September 19 2021 at 13:08
Just a fanboy passin' through.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 12:49
I post only one song because it's a suite long 18 minutes and 31 seconds.

It's a Psychedelic folk suite taken from the second album published by Claudio Ricchi, ex Stormy Six (37 ratings).

Claudio Rocchi was a real freak.

My nomination is:

Claudio Rocchi: Volo Magico N. 1 (1971)

Edited by jamesbaldwin - September 20 2021 at 07:43
"Happiness is real only when shared"
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 13:37
Well, this is one that satisfies the criteria...from Duncan Mackay - Score 1977 (30 Ratings)
Although I sort of feel like Duncan Mackay isn't really 'Lesser Known'. But maybe I'm wrong.
My first offering :

Duncan Mackay - Jigaloda

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 14:05
OK, I'll play...

1. Yôkaï - Plutonia (from their debut album Yôkaï released in 2019) [PA has 0 ratings]

2. Artús - Faust (from their 2020 album Cerc) [PA has 2 ratings]

If I had to pick between the two for the overall poll, I would pick Artús. But if anyone listens and feels strongly for the other one, I'm OK if you want that in the poll. I enjoyed both of these bands' albums. The Yôkaï album just came in the mail the other day from Belgium (ordered directly from the band's Bandcamp page).
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 14:06
Lots of work and other stuff going on this week, but I can't stop myself from posting something here the moment I see this poll... maybe one more later...
.O.rang is a project of Harris and Webb after the end of the great Talk Talk, and they prove that there was more creative force than just Mark Hollis behind them. Love this. 12 ratings this album, 15 for the band overall.
.O.rang - Mind on Pleasure

Edited by Lewian - September 19 2021 at 14:08
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 14:44
Using microtones not only in their instruments, but also in their vocals (in the melodies and the harmonies), The Mercury Tree released the album "Spidermilk" in 2019.  What should be a cutting edge album has gone woefully ignored, mostly because it's different, but in a good way.  It's strangeness is what makes it so great.

The Mercury Tree - "Disremembered" 

Released in 2013, this one only has 2 reviews and 7 ratings, yet deserves to be heard.  Featuring Clodaugh Simonds who sang on Mike Oldfield's albums "Tubular Bells", "Hergest Ridge" and Ommadawn, she has a voice that will captivate you as you get lost in her minimal music.

Fovea Hex - "Every Evening"  (Listed under Progressive Electronic, but has elements of Neo-folk)

Edited by TCat - September 19 2021 at 14:45

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 19:40
From the album Duel (15 ratings on PA)

Onségen Ensemble - Think Neither Good Nor Evil

From the album Vyakhyan-Kar (16 ratings)

Art Metal - Art Metal

Art Metal is Jonas Hellborg (bass) with Mattias IA Eklundh (guitar), Jens Johansson (keyboards), Anders Johansson (drums), and V. Selvaganesh (kanjeera)
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 00:54
I post only one song because a length of 18:51 asks enough of your time. This is "El Infierno de los Buenos" by Alejandro Matos, hailing from Argentina. The album off which this track is taken (Freak, 2009) has 18 ratings (none of this albums has more than 20 ratings to this day):

Edited by someone_else - September 20 2021 at 00:56
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 09:15
For my first offering, I present a track from Snakefinger - Greener Postures, an album with 10 ratings:

Snakefinger - The Picture Makers Vs. Children Of The Sea

For my second offering, I present a track from Various Artists - Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock 1969-1974, a compilation album with 6 ratings:

Daddy Cool - Make Your Stash

Edited by I prophesy disaster - September 20 2021 at 09:16
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 16:01
I was surprised by how many albums that I considered to be reasonably well-known turned out to have less than 50 ratings, so I tried to expressly select songs I like from albums with the fewest amount of ratings that can still be found on YouTube, and I ended up with these two, both of which I discovered by chance a year and a half ago from browsing through TCat's list of every prog album added to the database in 2019:

Rascal Reporters - Egos Explode (From Redux, Vol. 1 [6 ratings])

Louis De Mieulle - Discoteak (From Side$how, Vol. 1 [2 ratings])

Edited by Mirakaze - September 20 2021 at 16:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 16:51
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

It's a Psychedelic folk suite taken from the second album published by Claudio Ricchi, ex Stormy Six (37 ratings).

My nomination is:

Very interested to hear, and experimenting, as I can't "see" your video.  I am thinking it is the center one of this screen shot?

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 17:04
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

My nomination is:

Very interested to hear, and experimenting, as I can't "see" your video.  I am thinking it is the center one of this screen shot?

Yes, it is the second one.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 17:26

My nomination is:

Yes, it is the second one.
[/QUOTE]  Excellent!  That was much easier to do that way.  Smile
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 18:04
Deleted

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - September 21 2021 at 14:11
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 21:32
A great band ,,,the first 3 lp's are very good....from the first...the whole lp is good.

Another gem imho.....

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 10:53

Here are some comments on what I have heard so far:

Nickie:

Aestysis – “Marea” – Lovely post rock with some great guitar, violin and hammered dulcimer.  It flows along beautifully allowing the violin and dulcimer to take the lead throughout, I wish the ending weren’t so quick though.

Charlie Cawood – “Flicker Out of Being” – Nice and shimmery, it feels like watching a mountain lake sparkle and Marjana’s vocals are perfect for the style, almost feeling like an instrument in itself.  Glockenspiel, violin and chimes gives this a nice, folky feel.  This is my favorite out of your selections.

Greg:

William Sheller – “Hare Krishna” – Opening with a reverential organ that puts me into a contemplative mood.  It then turns into a dark symphonic feel that reminds me of Orff’s “Carmina Burana” especially with the choir that joins in.  The sudden appearance of the lonely guitar was unexpected, but then it mixes in a bit of the Mike Oldfield vibe with that haunting choir singing along.  No reviews?  What a shame.  I’ll be checking it out.

Perry Leopold – “The Journey” – A nice, relaxing folk style with an acoustic feel, guitar and flutes keep this pastoral track a nice, unrushed and relaxing feeling.  The vocals are not what I would call exceptional, but they fit well with the music.  Even though this is very nice to listen to, I’ll go with your 1st selection as my favorite from your contributions.

Cristi:

Bucium – “Frunză verde foi mărunte” – Has that folk sound that almost continues from Greg’s 2nd entry.  Nice and relaxing feel from the flutes and the lovely picked string instrument, then it picks up the pace with a rhythm section, violins and vocals.  It ends in an ambient and pensive way.

Experimental Quartet – “Spre Univers” – I like the proto-vibe this one has, sounding very late 60’s era with the amazing organ, the heavy bass and the busy drums.  The vocals are a little “iffy”, but not bad, plus the instrumental section more than makes up for that with it’s changing tempos and rhythms, yet never going over the top which is a good thing.  Very enjoyable and my favorite out of your selections.

Lorenzo:

Claudio Rocchi – “Volo Magico N. 1” – Acoustic guitars strumming and being plucked with some improvised percussion for a long introduction before the vocals come in, with arpeggio piano coming in later and then a choral section.  It all remains quaint and simple however, and has a strong eastern vibe to it while also remaining true to its RPI style.  The mellotron eventually comes in and contributes an orchestral feel for a while.  The overall laid-back sound captures you as it moves from simpleness and crescendos until a steady beat and heavier guitars come and go.  Long and trippy, psychedelic and spacey, it goes through some different shades of style while it travels along at the same steady beat.

Very nice and trippy, this track also has a vibe like Mike Oldfield’s early works.  The piano solo coda is a nice ending.

JD:

Duncan Mackay – “Jigaloda” – A nice array of keyboards and synths come together to make some lovely music.  The piano is shimmery, the synths are full and almost symphonic.  The beat is a mid-tempo that continues through most of the piece as it moves smoothly along.  It seems to be well produced and reminds me a lot of Wakeman’s solo works.  The best part is towards the end when the keys are more “playful”.

Ken:

Yôkaï - “Plutonia” – I was sure I had reviewed this one.  Somehow, I had forgotten about this one among all of the great music that was released in 2019, but I do remember hearing it when it came out and was quite impressed.  It’s a cool, conglomeration of instruments and sounds that plays against a regular beat, but it’s the instrumentation of it that makes it so intriguing.  In that regard, it’s quite complex and fascinating.  Thank you for reminding me of this one.  Now I have to go back and review it again.  Love it!

Artus – “Faust” – (For some reason, I can’t seem to find them in PA.  Probably my own oversight)  Nice, trippy and full of mid-eastern musical influences.  I like the way the percussion plods along making it sound almost like a drunken march of sorts.  The vocals are cool and fit the entire mood of the track.  It’s cool and interesting, and I like the way it switches everything up around the 6 minute mark, but personally, I like the 1st selection a bit better.  Both are great selections, however, and have a great chance of being contenders for my top 3.

Lewian:

.O.rang – “Mind on Pleasure” – I absolutely love the later and post-era “Talk Talk” music of Harris and Webb.  This one is a definite personal favorite, but its music I’m already quite familiar with.  I love the beat of this one and the experimental vibe that is freely used among both the instruments and vocals.  It’s complex with layer upon layer of melodies and riffs all washed together in a wonderful piece that still ends up making perfect sense.  Love it, but I’m afraid it’s out of the running for me because I’m already familiar with it.

That’s as far as I’ve gotten so far.  I hope to comment on the rest soon.  There is some excellent stuff here and it’s going to be tough to pick favorites.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>