1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 11:21
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

OK, I'll play...

If I had to pick between the two for the overall poll, I would pick Artús. But if anyone listens and feels strongly for the other one, I'm OK if you want that in the poll. I enjoyed both of these bands' albums. The Yôkaï album just came in the mail the other day from Belgium (ordered directly from the band's Bandcamp page).
  Videos removed for space

Thanks for joining in, and with two excellent pieces!  It is actually up to you to choose, we usually spend time listening, some of us write mini-reviews, or first listen impressions (me), take in what others think, and then begin nominating which one of our individual selections will be up for final voting (this time, starting on Friday, 1 Oct).  It is not a requirement to give detailed impressions, but they are fun to read/write for many of us, so please feel free to join in on that.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 12:56
Couple of comments. I am familiar with Charlie Cawood and The Mercury Tree so I shouldn't vote for either one. Experimental Quartet, and Daddy Cool do not appear on PA. There is listing for Experimental Quintet on PA - different band. Anyway, Experimental Quartet sound like an Egg clone to me. So far, Yokai, Art Metal, and Aesthesys stand out. Cool stuff. 

Just my personal preference, but I prefer the lesser know prog bands that started less than 25 years ago. Those from the 70's through 90's don't appeal to me.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - September 21 2021 at 13:00
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 13:06
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Couple of comments. I am familiar with Charlie Cawood and The Mercury Tree so I shouldn't vote for either one. Experimental Quartet, and Daddy Cool do not appear on PA. There is listing for Experimental Quintet on PA - different band. Anyway, Experimental Quartet sound like an Egg clone to me. So far, Yokai, Art Metal, and Aesthesys stand out. Cool stuff. 

Just my personal preference, but I prefer the lesser know prog bands that started less than 25 years ago. Those from the 70's through 90's don't appeal to me.

Experimental Quartet (later Quintet, also known as Experimental Q, Q2 for a while) sounds nothing like Egg, let alone an Egg clone. Confused

You can participate in the poll, with prog from whatever decade you want (with less than 50 ratings), once the poll is created with all final nominations, you listen to them all and choose three favorites. Tongue

Edited by Cristi - September 21 2021 at 13:25
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 13:12
As per my usual, my first thoughts, about halfway through Page One to begin, as it is always the most populous.

Wow!  So much great music!  Of course, we are all fans of prog here, so it should be no surprise that there will be much to love.  Thank you all so far for your participation!  Clap

Greg:
  William Sheller “Hare Krishna”  Begins with an orchestra sound, violin, or is that a keyboard, at the fore?  Now becomes clear that it is a keyboard/organ.  Oboes swirl in, then add choral elements, very stately and dignified in feel.  Some percussive sounds, then the chorus comes way to the fore, in a swelling manner.  Heavier horns and feel begin to enter the sound, then, electric guitar, with a very angular lead, with a bit of a fuzz effect.  It all fades at the end.  Quite enjoyable!  Perry Leopold “The Journey”  I remember your bringing this up.  This one begins with flutes intertwining and acoustic guitar.  A singer tells a tale of days of old, there is a very strong sense of the archaic and melancholy.  Gorgeous folkish sensibility to this, a hearkening to bands like The Pentangle, with a hint of psychedelia.  I quite like this, also, chill-inducing.  Honestly, I have no idea how I missed this back in the day, perhaps because of more regionality of music back then.  They are very different from one another, I’d be hard pressed to pick a favourite.

Cristi:  Bucium - Frunză verde foi mărunte - cu Dora Gaitanovici (Miorița)  A recorder sort of sound and lots of shimmers begin the piece, with some string swells, then going to a strummed acoustic guitar, at a goodly pace.  Drums and then a sort of chorused female vocal does a ladadadadada part.  Violin and then a male vocal takes the lead. There is a stridency in his voice, not overly so.  Great feeling in this one, no idea what it’s about, but I like it.  Aha, there is a translation on the video, I was listening while not looking.  Is it violin or bagpipes that come in around 5:10?  There is a bridge of washy sound, with some plinkies.  Very moving piece.  The video reminds me much of a book I read recently, “A Thread of Grace,”  by Mary Doria Russell, about a refugee girl and her father in 1943 Italy, crossing the alps. Experimental Quartet “Spre univers”  Starts off with Hammond organ sound and drums at the fore, then a male singer joins in.  This has a 70’s feel to me.  Heavyish guitars punctuate into the steady organ and drums.  Organist plays an engaging riff, very fluidly, then a lead electric guitar pops in for a bluesy jam.  The piece slows down for a bit and the guitarist heads into a repetitive segment, with an almost raveup nearing the end, then back to the organ and concludes with a punchy ending.  Really interesting piece, for it’s time, especially.  I do prefer your first one, but also recognize the historical value of this after getting more information.

Lorenzo:  Claudio Rocchi “Volo Magico N. 1”  This one starts with acoustic chitarra and bass, then some percussion comes in.  The chitarra reminds me much of Bert Jansch’s style of guitar playing.  The percussive elements have lots of echo, which is a psychedelic hallmark sort of sound for acoustic drums.  There is a sense of the piece being a story-telling.  Light, pretty piano enters the scene and choral vocals, very shimmery.  Effected plinky chitarra comes along, with the choral parts becoming more phantasmagoric.  The chorus now includes some childlike voices, as they enter after the next verse, and they have a more ecstatic feel.  Piano returns for a bit of a jam with the bass and drums, with interspersing from the chorus, and some tasteful electric guitar lead, with a fair amount of tremolo.  The piece becomes more emphatic, in much the way that many psychedelic jams did, such as early Quicksilver Messenger Service.  Back to the choir, then some deep bell-like sounds and lead guitar again.  It would seem that the story may be entering a darker place, from the subtly shifting sound of the choir, a little over halfway in.  Another repetition of the verse to the chorale with piano.  There is a bridge with very quavery guitar and the keyboards playing chords, then a very pointed and impassioned lead guitar as a crescendo begins.  At the very end, piano solos, softly, walking off down the road the minstrels go.

JD:  Duncan Mackay “Jigaloda” This one starts out pretty snappily, with whirly keyboards and a merry little marchlike underpinning.  It picks up a the pace a little, with asides of circus-y (in a fun and engaging way) interjections.  Synths come along with a little bit of regality.  Straight keyboards enter from time to time, very capably.  About 2/3rds in, some whirlies show up and the lead instrument is a marimba-like one (quite possibly on keys, I’m guessing), then back to the semi-comic sound before it ends.  Very enjoyable, upbeat piece.  If you decide on a second, feel free to bring it!  😊

progaardvark:  Yôkaï “Plutonia”  Begins with some keyboards, quickly joined by very angular electric guitar.  A flute comes along, and something kind of comb-ish (you know the sound when you run your fingers down the teeth of a comb?), is the only way I can describe it. There are punctuations of more sharp guitar.  Some horn-type sound, almost klezmer sounding enters the steadily layering of the piece.  The angular guitar returns, then more horn adds in.  The angular guitar comes to the fore, with whangles here and there, that eventually become the most prevalent in the mix.  Ends a bit abruptly, with a final whangle on that guitar.  Artús “Faust” Love the start, has a Balkan feel to me, with discordant strings, then drums enter the fray. Sounds like they have mizmars or the like as well (possibly).  More discordant horn sounds (l love this kind of stuff!) prelude the singer’s entry.  Also has a lovely eastern feel to me.  Singer becomes very strident and uses ululations and tremolo in his voice, then back to the Balkan cacophony (again, not derogatory, it’s very cool).  There are occasional washes of sound and some echo-y choral sorts of sounds.  The singer continues on, but there is a sense of distance in the mix, perhaps done with echo, also, sound drops back a bit, and electric guitar becomes prevalent for a moment, then repeat of the basic melody.  Now the singer is joined by several (or perhaps several tracks of himself).  Drops to bass and drums, then some feedback-y electric guitar, very space/trance-y.  The sound becomes a wash of all of the instruments, with a repetitive section.  It all drops back to the discordant strings and slowly, slowly, slows.  This is my favourite of yours.

Christian:  .O.rang “Mind on Pleasure”  Echo-y sonar sounds and some percussive something-or-others with whanging keys?  Or guitar?  Or both?  Whongs and whizzles show up, subtlely.  Very discordant guitar, I think enters the fray, with a sort of maybe vocal that repeats, and layered in, a lead sort of female vocal, wailing.  Deep whong-whongs provide an almost yin-yang energy to the female voice.  Sense of perhaps a bad dream (in a good way), with some horn-like entry, also repeating, then it comes to the fore in the mix.  Goes to a space echo section about halfway in.  There is also a feeling, to me, as if this is underground somewhere.  An almost indiscernable male vocal enters, very effected and repeats several times, then is front and center, just once.  Percussion keeps on percussing, with a bit of bass, then pokes of keyboards, or perhaps some kind of guitar effect.  Sound gradually fades, with what sounds like a young girl speaking indecipherable words.  Feel free to bring another (although you’re used to these and know you can).  I am glad you brought this, even with being busy this week.

Mike:  The Mercury Tree “Disremembered”  Love the band name and the song title…not so sure about the cover art, lol.  A repeating guitar run, joined by percussive elements starts this one out, a high-ish voiced male quickly vocalizes.  There are discordant guitar and bass sounds, sort of a string sound enters, behind the male vocalist again.  I’m not sure what he’s saying, it’s way back in the mix.  Then whangling guitars, barred chords, in a slid-y and still discordant way start up.  Then back to the main theme, with some maybe synths and the vocalist becomes more strident, almost in a punkish way.  It all drops back for the vocals to softly continue, with strumming guitar, washy, watery effect on the guitar.  A sort of Fripp-ish section commences.  There are some heavy hits on something, not sure how they are doing this, then the piece moves into a more driving section, then abruptly slows again, with space sounds and falsely ends, before the true, abrupt end.  Fovea Hex “Every Evening”  Whongles of keyboard sounds, accordionlike, at the beginning.  Lovely, pristine vocal, this has a melancholy feel to it.  This vocal is completely enchanting, and, fittingly is at front and center.  Angelic choral enters about halfway in, keyboards create a sonic backdrop, with it’s gradually becoming more weighty.   The lead vocal also become a bit more full, in a very subtle way.  The  piece fades.  Chills and obviously my favourite of your two, if you can’t guess.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 13:14
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Experimental Quartet (later Quintet, also known as Experimental Q, Q2 for a while) sounds nothing like Egg, let alone an Egg clone. Confused

You can participate in the poll, with prog from whatever decade you want (with less than 50 ratings), once the poll is created with all final nomination, you listen to them all and choose three favorites. 

Thank you, Cristi!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 13:34
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Cristi:  Bucium - Frunză verde foi mărunte - cu Dora Gaitanovici (Miorița)  A recorder sort of sound and lots of shimmers begin the piece, with some string swells, then going to a strummed acoustic guitar, at a goodly pace.  Drums and then a sort of chorused female vocal does a ladadadadada part.  Violin and then a male vocal takes the lead. There is a stridency in his voice, not overly so.  Great feeling in this one, no idea what it’s about, but I like it.  Aha, there is a translation on the video, I was listening while not looking.  Is it violin or bagpipes that come in around 5:10?  There is a bridge of washy sound, with some plinkies.  Very moving piece.  The video reminds me much of a book I read recently, “A Thread of Grace,”  by Mary Doria Russell, about a refugee girl and her father in 1943 Italy, crossing the alps. Experimental Quartet “Spre univers”  Starts off with Hammond organ sound and drums at the fore, then a male singer joins in.  This has a 70’s feel to me.  Heavyish guitars punctuate into the steady organ and drums.  Organist plays an engaging riff, very fluidly, then a lead electric guitar pops in for a bluesy jam.  The piece slows down for a bit and the guitarist heads into a repetitive segment, with an almost raveup nearing the end, then back to the organ and concludes with a punchy ending.  Really interesting piece, for it’s time, especially.  I do prefer your first one, but also recognize the historical value of this after getting more information.

Bucium is a new(er) band, formed in the early 2000s. they are on bandcamp, I can post the link if you want. They are a prog-folk basically, although they flirt with metal here and there. No bagpipes, just violins. 

The Experimental Q song is from the 70s (not just a feel Tongue). They reformed in the 2000s as Experimental Quintet (are on PA). 

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 14:05
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Artus – “Faust” – (For some reason, I can’t seem to find them in PA.  Probably my own oversight)  Nice, trippy and full of mid-eastern musical influences.  I like the way the percussion plods along making it sound almost like a drunken march of sorts.  The vocals are cool and fit the entire mood of the track.  It’s cool and interesting, and I like the way it switches everything up around the 6 minute mark, but personally, I like the 1st selection a bit better.  Both are great selections, however, and have a great chance of being contenders for my top 3.

I apologize about the name. They are listed on PA under the name Familha Artús:
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6576

They have been using the name Artús, at least since 2012, based on album covers. I actually discovered this band from a colleague and friend at work who has similar interests in avant-prog bands (particularly French ones). At the time I didn't even know this band was on PA and I was almost set to make a band suggestion until they turned up in a site search. Glad you enjoyed them and the Yôkaï selection. Yôkaï was in Sean Trane's top 20 that year. I often comb through the collaborator top 20s for things I missed during the year. They are a treasure trove of finds.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 14:10

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

OK, I'll play...

If I had to pick between the two for the overall poll, I would pick Artús. But if anyone listens and feels strongly for the other one, I'm OK if you want that in the poll. I enjoyed both of these bands' albums. The Yôkaï album just came in the mail the other day from Belgium (ordered directly from the band's Bandcamp page).
  Videos removed for space

Thanks for joining in, and with two excellent pieces!  It is actually up to you to choose, we usually spend time listening, some of us write mini-reviews, or first listen impressions (me), take in what others think, and then begin nominating which one of our individual selections will be up for final voting (this time, starting on Friday, 1 Oct).  It is not a requirement to give detailed impressions, but they are fun to read/write for many of us, so please feel free to join in on that.

OK, thanks a lot for the explanation. I look forward to spending some time listening to all of these and will contribute some brief thoughts, later this week or early next week.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 14:10

You can participate in the poll, with prog from whatever decade you want (with less than 50 ratings), once the poll is created with all final nomination, you listen to them all and choose three favorites. 

Thank you, Cristi!
Not sure why you are thanking Cristi, Snicolette. Did I do something inappropriate? I only stated my thoughts which don't seem to be wanted or appreciated on these forums. I have had numerous arguments with Cristi and I don't want to continue them. It' obvious he does.

Cool thread, but I withdraw my nominations. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 14:13

Thank you, Cristi!
Not sure why you are thanking Cristi, Snicolette. Did I do something inappropriate? I only stated my thoughts which don't seem to be wanted or appreciated on these forums. I have had numerous arguments with Cristi and I don't want to continue them. It' obvious he does.

I never said you did anything wrong, just disagreed with your assessment about Experimental Quartet. 
Snicolette is thanking me for explaining the rules to you. 
You did nothing wrong. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 14:24

Thank you, Cristi!

I never said you did anything wrong, just disagreed with your assessment about Experimental Quartet. 
Snicolette is thanking me for explaining the rules to you. 
You did nothing wrong. 
[/QUOTE]  Cristi is correct, just thanking him for getting to you sooner than I could.  Smile  Also, you did nothing wrong, as well.  Smile

Aslo, no need to withdraw, apologies for anything misconstrued.

Edited by Snicolette - September 21 2021 at 14:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 14:25

Bucium is a new(er) band, formed in the early 2000s. they are on bandcamp, I can post the link if you want. They are a prog-folk basically, although they flirt with metal here and there. No bagpipes, just violins. 

The Experimental Q song is from the 70s (not just a feel Tongue). They reformed in the 2000s as Experimental Quintet (are on PA). 

Thank you for the extra info!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 15:01
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

William Sheller – “Hare Krishna” – Opening with a reverential organ that puts me into a contemplative mood. It then turns into a dark symphonic feel that reminds me of Orff’s “Carmina Burana” especially with the choir that joins in. The sudden appearance of the lonely guitar was unexpected, but then it mixes in a bit of the Mike Oldfield vibe with that haunting choir singing along. No reviews? What a shame. I’ll be checking it out.

Perry Leopold – “The Journey” – A nice, relaxing folk style with an acoustic feel, guitar and flutes keep this pastoral track a nice, unrushed and relaxing feeling. The vocals are not what I would call exceptional, but they fit well with the music. Even though this is very nice to listen to, I’ll go with your 1st selection as my favorite from your contributions.

Greg: William Sheller “Hare Krishna” Begins with an orchestra sound, violin, or is that a keyboard, at the fore? Now becomes clear that it is a keyboard/organ. Oboes swirl in, then add choral elements, very stately and dignified in feel. Some percussive sounds, then the chorus comes way to the fore, in a swelling manner. Heavier horns and feel begin to enter the sound, then, electric guitar, with a very angular lead, with a bit of a fuzz effect. It all fades at the end. Quite enjoyable! Perry Leopold “The Journey” I remember your bringing this up. This one begins with flutes intertwining and acoustic guitar. A singer tells a tale of days of old, there is a very strong sense of the archaic and melancholy. Gorgeous folkish sensibility to this, a hearkening to bands like The Pentangle, with a hint of psychedelia. I quite like this, also, chill-inducing. Honestly, I have no idea how I missed this back in the day, perhaps because of more regionality of music back then. They are very different from one another, I’d be hard pressed to pick a favourite.

Will post both impressions, and address both at the same time.

Thanks for the write-ups, it's truly appreciated (not that you would doubt my sincerity...).

I love that William Sheller album, and I love Carmina Burana (the whole thing, not just "O Fortuna"), but then I love choral music, of which there is much in the album. I like its synthesis of classical style music with rock music. I almost went with another that is of a similar ilk, and that is Jean-Claude Vannier's L'enfant assassin des mouches, but my favourite track off that I'm pretty sure was one of my significant mentions in one of these polls (I could check, but that kind of spoils the fun. My memory hopefully will improve when I can get my hypo-thyroidism under control and get some decent sleep).

With this topic I have been torn in different directions, whereas usually I feel pretty confident in my initial decisions. William Sheller was promising conservatory student in the "classical" (western art music) tradition, but when he got into The Beatles, it changed his direction (reputedly his instructors were upset about that), The most famous and acclaimed I would say track of that is "Introit", which was made more popular by being sampled by the hip hop act Deltron 3030. I have mentioned "Introit" (off Lux Aeterna) quite a few times at the forum.

As for Perry Leopold, I adore the album Chrsitian Lucifer, and like his voice (it's a top five album in Prog Folk for me). I remembered bringing it up before (mentioned it quite a few times at the forum), so maybe I shouldn't have again or mentioned a different track from it. His voice somewhat reminds me of the vocals in the Canadian band Crash Test Dummies. Somewhat reminds me, I'm not saying it's the same in case someone misunderstands me. I have got quite a few, "They sound nothing alike" comments over the years when I draw comparisons, so I'm wary to qualify my remarks and wary to make such remarks.

With the song by Crash Test Dummies which I expect many here would have heard, "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm", I heard it being parodied with these adapted lyrics:

"Once there was this kid who sang in such a stupid voice which he thought sounded cool.
He didn't have the chance to realise it sounded like he was forcing a stool.
He thought, he thought he sounded like thunder,
But he was just a one hit wonder.
Mmm mmm mm mmm."

Sorry for the digression. Perry Leopold does not have that same stool pushing quality, but it's a kind of gruffness. And I like "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm".

Edited by Logan - September 21 2021 at 15:02
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 15:22
I suggest a second one just for fun, even though I'm pretty much settled on .O.rang, but this one is a very different type of post rock that I love for very different reasons. In fact it spins around in my inner ear for days now.
Tristeza - Halo Heads (5 ratings, 22 for the band overall)
PS Grumpy: I'd have liked to have your suggestions here... didn't get through to listening to them but would've looked forward to it. Minnemann is the mann.

Edited by Lewian - September 21 2021 at 15:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 16:37
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

My responses in italics, amongst your quote

Thanks for the write-ups, it's truly appreciated (not that you would doubt my sincerity...).

William Sheller was promising conservatory student in the "classical" (western art music) tradition, but when he got into The Beatles, it changed his direction (reputedly his instructors were upset about that), 

I am quite sure he's not alone in having abandoned a strictly classical way of writing, once The Beatles came into being.

His voice somewhat reminds me of the vocals in the Canadian band Crash Test Dummies. Somewhat reminds me, I'm not saying it's the same in case someone misunderstands me. I have got quite a few, "They sound nothing alike" comments over the years when I draw comparisons, so I'm wary to qualify my remarks and wary to make such remarks.

With the song by Crash Test Dummies which I expect many here would have heard, "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm"

Indeed I use comparisons often in this way, not that it sounds exactly like, but as a reference point, often in describing tonality or style.

Sorry for the digression. Perry Leopold does not have that same stool pushing quality, but it's a kind of gruffness. And I like "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm".

As an aside, I actually own a Crash Test Dummies t-shirt, free swag from the band, as we carried them on our buses.  Great voice on Brad Roberts!  Smile

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 02:37

Daddy Cool do not appear on PA.

Daddy Cool do not appear on PA, but the compilation album containing the track does appear on PA.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - September 22 2021 at 02:54
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 04:54
Time to chime in... A first one from Spain. Labelled crossover prog here, three albums out up till now, respectively 15, 17 and 26 ratings. A touch of jazz, a dose of retro prog with some freshness added to it, thanks also to the instrumentation, and a tiny bit of madness here and there... From their latest album El porvenir está en las huevas (2020) :

Frutería Toñi - El traspié:

And then, from Switzerland, maybe more known for his work with Sonar, and that is how I got to this album. Just in time, because it has already 46 ratings here (catalogued under RIO/Avant-prog), whereas all his other albums only have 0 to 7 ratings... I couldn't find a yt-link, so it will be bandcamp. From the album Fractal Guitar (2019):

Stephan Thelen - Road Movie:

Edited by suitkees - September 22 2021 at 09:26

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 05:52
I have had some more free time and been able to listen early this time around so I I have put together a playlist with the suggestions so far.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx7vNuorMSiQwojGr9U7FwER
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 05:57
^ Very much appreciated! I was just starting to listen to the suggestions...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 08:12
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I have had some more free time and been able to listen early this time around so I I have put together a playlist with the suggestions so far.
  Link removed for space:

Thank you so much, George!  Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>