0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 05:59
Continued from yesterday....

dr wu23:
Jonesy - Ricochet:
Funky guitar riff and Mellotron. Nice way to start this. Nice, grooving, deep bass line. The bass gets even better after the 3:30 mark. Instead of the fade out, I wish I could've heard the rest of the guitar solo. My only question is: How come I have never heard of this band all these years until now? I'll be rectifying that in the coming weeks. Great song!

Odin - Life Is Only:
Nice fuzzy organ to start off, then we get some hints of Emerson. This leads to a nice heavy riff with a psychedelic vibe. This kind of sounds like Emerson playing along with Atomic Rooster. Love the organ/guitar interplay around the 6 minute mark. Really cool jam. A nice return to the opening verses at the end. Just like the previous song by Jonesy, I can't believe I never heard of this band before. Wonderful piece of music.

Lewian:
Tristeza - Halo Heads:
This has a really cool vibe. Love the guitar tone and melody on this. Nice transition at 3:40 giving it a different, more intense mood. I like it when the keyboard comes to the front more at the 4:45 mark and follow along with the guitar melody. I don't really listen to much post rock, but this falls into the sound I like from this genre. Lovely song.

suitkees:
Frutería Toñi - El traspié:
Love the piano work on this. That instrumental break around the 1:30 mark is really cool. The mixture of violin with clarinet in this section gives it a nice crescendo. Another wonderful instrumental break around the 3:20 mark. Sudden switch at the 4:00 mark kicking it up a notch. Love the bass playing in this section. Now we've got some sax in here too. Whoa! Like the opera singing that came in at the 6:07 mark. Another change to a more spacier feel at the 6:39 mark with some echoed/reverbed sax over the top. This is nice. Then it kicks back into high gear. Excellent ending. I'm impressed. Great song!

Stephan Thelen - Road Movie:
I only just recently discovered Thelen from listening to his Fractal Guitar 2 album that came out this year, also via Sonar, which I only discovered last year. This is got a nice, driving rhythm. Some really cool guitar over top. Love the reverb he applied to this. Nice use of delay effects here and there. I love the various atmospheres he is getting out of his guitar. Sometimes ambient, sometimes a disjarred, angular feel; weaving it's way around and in and out of that underlying rhythm. It slowly gets calmer, but then kicks in again around the 11:15 minute mark. With the sound of a train in the distance just before the 11:15 mark, I'm guessing we were pausing at a railroad crossing. Being called "Road Movie," it does give me the imagery of driving at night on a long, rural road. Kind of a chaotic ending. Hope we didn't crash into something! Excellent track!

tigerfeet:
The Amorphous Androgynous - The World Is Full of Plankton:
Like the keys in the beginning of this. Sounds like a sound collage of guitar noises coming in and out of it. Love the effects on the vocals (I'm a big fan of echoes and stuff like that). The drums have an interesting feel to them, like they're out in the distance and then come more to the front with the tom-toms (which themselves feel like they have a reverse reverb on them). The vocals continue to have some neat effects on them, making them sound like they're coming out of the clouds in the sky. Love the warbly keyboard sounds around the 5:10 mark. Big change around the 6 minute mark with what sounds like violins in the distance. I get a lot of ocean vibes (hence the title I presume) in the sound effects weaving in and out of this (seagull sounds and waves I believe). Nice ending. Only just now noticed this was a lyric video, so I had to rewind go through them again... Yeah, I don't know what they're singing about, but I do this a lot myself so it feels like I'm at home (except I would have removed all the verbs, but I'm weird like that). Great song!

Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound - The Slumbering Ones:
Definitely getting some old school psych vibes on this one. I love the reverb (or whatever it is) effect on the vocals. The female backing vocals are really nice here. I wish they would have brought that flute a little more forward in the mix. There's also a deeper sound that I can't quite make out in the background (it's not a Taurus bass pedal, but has that feel to it; I'm thinking it's a guitar). I think that could have been higher in the mix too. This reminds me a little bit of Hawkwind. Nice classic psych sound. An enjoyable listen!

Side note: It's kinda weird that a thunderstorm was rolling through here around 7:30 this morning causing the dog to pull the pillows off the couch and spin around the living room with them in his mouth. Psychedelic/space rock seems to really fit this mood. The timing couldn't have been any better!

Thanks everyone for sharing the fine tunes. I think I wrote down around 20 albums I now need to check out in more detail. I'm glad I got a raise this year (considering the pandemic and all the chaos), so I know where that will be going eventually.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 07:04
I created a list on PA using the ratings filters and barely recognise anything in the top 250!!

No 158 - Gerard - Keyboard Triangle II (35 ratings)
that is literally the only one I have!

If I limit the genre's then
Francis Lickerish - Far and Forgot From The Lost Lands
Mansun - Six
Mansun - Attack of The Grey Lantern
Ruins - Wolf People

The Francis Lickerish album is probably the gem in there.

Try this

Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 08:17
Advent

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 11:26
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I created a list on PA using the ratings filters and barely recognise anything in the top 250!!

No 158 - Gerard - Keyboard Triangle II (35 ratings)
that is literally the only one I have!
Video removed for space
  Hello Richard, if you wish, you can actually present 2, then select which of them you would like to nominate for voting, I'll be asking for those to be in no later than Friday morning, when I open the poll voting.  I will post a reminder tomorrow morning for everyone to start making their final selection.  

Edited by Snicolette - September 28 2021 at 11:27
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 11:28
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Advent

Video removed for space

Hello Ronstein, if you wish, you can actually present 2, then select which of them you would like to nominate for voting, I'll be asking for those to be in no later than Friday morning, when I open the poll voting.  I will post a reminder tomorrow morning for everyone to start making their final selection.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 12:08
First take on richardh and Ronstein's additions:

richardh:  Francis Lickerish “Brides of the Wind”  Stately at the start, definitely conjures up images of a procession.  Tension builds and the feeling becomes a trifle ominous.  Very orchestral, with soaring lead guitar and swirling strings.  Drums and full band kick in, lush and regal, this.  A Celtic feel to the piece, now.  Angelic female vocals enter the procession, with a lead and also chorus.  Very mystical, and good chills here.  Exquisite.  Soft horns add to the majesty.  Electric guitars come along to the fore, sounds like such a lovely visual could accompany this, as in a film.  A heavier feel comes along, still in a marching sort of mode, maybe this is where the knights and archers march along.  It all rolls back for a bit with flutes and horns, another exalted portion, swelling and rising, gradually.  Another quiet section emerges, with deep horns keeping the beat and electric guitar, that, after strings punctuate the piece, becomes very pointed and the angels return.  Gosh, just gorgeous.  14 minutes flew by.  Ends with a grand flourish.  Now that I looked it up for a listen to the whole thing, no wonder, wasn’t familiar with the name, but have always liked anything I’ve heard by The Enid.

Ronstein: Advent “Ramblin’ Sailor”  A jaunty flute-y, recorder-y (maybe all done on keys, for there are surely keys here, too) sea shanty sort of song right from the get-go.  Chorded electric guitars spice things up, then a Medieval/Renaissance period sort of section starts, with the keys becoming more harpsichord-like.  A shanty it is, indeed, with the vocalist telling his seafaring tale.  Very syncopated with drums, bass and guitar all coming forward, recorder/whistle sound bubbles merrily along.  Somehow, the Gormenghast novels come to mind for me, a twisty sort of kingdom.  A break slows it all down for a bit 3 minutes in, perhaps some smooth sailing.  Pace picks up again, perhaps the tides are changing, perhaps they are contemplating landing on some little isle for a while, as it again slows and a sense of wonder builds.  Soft organ and lute-ish guitar change the page up yet again.  The vocals return and it indeed sounds like the sailor is anticipating having a wonderful time ashore to me.  Quite an excellent addition to the polls.  

Edited by Snicolette - September 28 2021 at 12:17
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 14:32
For Andy - Mirage 
This is a band that was influenced by Camel hence the name of the band. They created a song called "For Andy", which is a tribute to...

Well, I found out about this band when kenethlevine told me about bands like Camel. He introduced this band. I think it is interesting to see a Camel lovers band. Opeth and Marillion were influenced by Camel too, but everybody here knows them. 

Edited by SuperMetro - September 28 2021 at 15:00
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 14:44
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Continued from yesterday....
<snip>

Nice reading your comments on all suggestions, Ken; it is always nice to read the comments of others - I hope I will find the time this week to do so (write mine) as well... And I'm glad you liked my two submissions.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 14:44
Ronstein: I am hearing Ramblin Sailor right now, and it sounds like something from the Canterbury Scene(Egg, Caravan, Hatfield). I like how it sounds like one of those sea shanties, but with prog rock flavors. Advent also reminds me of Camel a little bit, but not a lot. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 15:00

Edited by SuperMetro - September 28 2021 at 15:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 15:09
Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

For Andy - Mirage 
This is a band that was influenced by Camel hence the name of the band. They created a song called "For Andy", which is a tribute to...

Well, I found out about this band when kenethlevine told me about bands like Camel. He introduced this band. I think it is interesting to see a Camel lovers band. Opeth and Marillion were influenced by Camel too, but everybody here knows them. 
Video removed for space
Hello SuperMetro, if you wish, you can actually present 2, then select which of them you would like to nominate for voting, I'll be asking for those to be in no later than Friday morning, when I open the poll voting.  I will post a reminder tomorrow morning for everyone to start making their final selection. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 15:15
First take on SuperMetro's contribuition:

SuperMetro:  Mirage “For Andy”  Certainly does have a Camel vibe right as it starts (I am also a huge Camel fan, as was my late composer husband). Flute and soft guitars, drums and bass, then an angular lead guitar kicks in.  Descending guitar lad section comes in, then ascendent guitar chords, then organ comes to the front, followed by a flute lead.  That Latimer-style guitar comes back (indeed, as this is an homage to him) and duets with the flute for a bit, next the flute leads by a nose, and back to the guitar.  The piece ends with a fluttering of flute.

tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 20:53
Thanks for posting comments and ideas t-cat, progaardvark and snicollete on the tracks so far, it makes some great reading an listening when getting home from a double, seem to be working more these days. I'll get more time later in the week to comment and make my final nom and comments. 

Edited by tigerfeet - September 28 2021 at 20:55
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 07:56
Greetings all Pollsters!

The time has come for everyone to make their final selection for their nomination.  If, by Friday 1 October morning, you only have offered1 entry, I will enter that single entry into the poll.  That leaves about 24 hours to add one more to your suggested listening.

To vote, remember that a vote for your own nomination is discouraged, obviously you love that music if you've offered it up. You may vote for 3 choices.  

George has kindly created a playlist of all of the selections, the link is here:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-zzvl_w6Fx7vNuorMSiQwojGr9U7FwER
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 08:12
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Experimental Quartet “Spre univers” - final nomination Smile
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 09:47

TCat:
The Mercury Tree - Disremembered:
I have this album and it made my top 20 of 2019. Microtonal guitars make some really, really cool sounds. On top of that, this group has a knack for quirkiness and unsettling sounds that just envelope me with ear candy. Two years later and this album should have had over 200 ratings by now. This song is just a taste of the genius of Ben Spees. I'm curious about listening to his collaborative Ventifacts project which just came out this month. Excellent pick!

Fovea Hex - Early Evening:
From the chaos of Ben Spees to floating through space. Love the tones this keyboard is making (I think it's a keyboard). The subtle hints of other sounds percolating from undernearth the keys give this a nice texture. A nice and pleasant song.

Thanks for the comments.  Here is another interesting fact about Ben Spees that you might be interested in.  He helped out with another album from a band I brought into the archives last year...Cryptic Ruse, which is in Progressive Metal, but is a one-man project also experimenting in microtones.  Ben Spees does guest vocals on 3 of the tracks (the others are instrumental).  I know you are not a big fan of prog metal, but I really think you would like this one as it's in the same wheel house (you do have a house for wheels, right?).

Here's the bandcamp link:  UNFERTILE | Cryptic Ruse (bandcamp.com)

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 10:10
I'll go with .O.rang, but Tristeza gave them a pretty good run forn the money.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 10:13
Some decision support:

@Mike: I know and like some Fovea Hex, didn't know this one, but it doesn't excite me much... instead the Mercury Tree one is quite exciting indeed.

@George: Onsegen over Art Metal... the Art Metal is interesting, not a bad idea at all what they did there, but doesn't move me much.

@I prophesy disaster: The Daddy Cool melody sounds much like a cover of Manfred Mann's Earth Band's Joybringer, which itself is based on Jupiter from Holst's Planets. I like this take on the song, however if they don't credit the original that'd be somewhat dodgy. I like the second half of the Snakefinger one a lot but the first one rather annoys me.

@Mirakaze: I like them both but Louis is the clear winner.

@dr wu: Ricochet is number one here; despite the good instrumentation, the vocals put me off the other one.

Edited by Lewian - September 30 2021 at 07:31
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 11:50

Got some time (started a "staycation" on Monday), so commenting on selections for the first time in a long while. So far, really good stuff. It’s going to be a matter of what “feels” right at the moment of voting. Comments for the first half of posters.

Nickie's selections:

Aestysis - Marea: Nice instrumental track with the violin sweeping in accompanied by dulcimer or dulcimer-like instrument. Wistful.

Charlie Cawood - Flicker Out of Being: Layered track. More organic feel than the previous one. Very 'floaty'. My preference of the two with the caveat that I have this one. 

Greg's selections: 

William Sheller - Hare Krishna: Begins with an organ that puts me in mind to explore (inner) space. Then becomes ominous with the choir. Very dramatic. The guitar kicks in and seems sinister to me.

Perry Leopold - The Journey: The sounds of nature kick this off. A nice prog-folk number. Easy-going. My preference is to the Sheller track, which have already selected.

Cristi's selections:

Bucium - Frunză verde foi mărunte: Another folky number. This starts with a piccolo(?) maybe. Like a bird. This one feels (and judging by the video) more of a journey than Leopold's track. I like the raspy vocals on this one.

Experimental Quartet - Spre univers: I like how the song starts with the organs and jams in the middle. Very much a "classic" jam/rock '60s/'70s vibe. I like it. I see this is Cristi's selection, though I prefer the Bucium track by a hair.

Lorenzo's selection:

Claudio Rocchi - Volo Magico N. 1:  This would be fit in with an epic theme. Starts with an exotic acoustic intro. I really like the backing vocals on this.  Nice guitar solo with solo piano finish. A solid epic with a memorable melody throughout.

JD’s selection:

Duncan MacKay – Jigaloda: Can I get jiggy with this? Yeah, I guess I  could. Starts off sounding like a theme to a whodunnit.  With a lighthearted break in between. Kind of a Mike Post vibe.

progaardvark’s selections:

Yôkaï - Plutonia: Neat mix of instruments. The music snakes through with punctuations of guitar.

Artús - Faust: More neat instrumentation. A hurdy-gurdy! A definite avant-prog track. Nice change in the middle. I like both tracks but this one is my preference of the two.

Lewian’s selections:

.O.rang - Mind on Pleasure: This one I already have/know. Great band and track. While I don’t have a set rule not to vote for something I already know, I would probably pass in this poll as there are a lot of really good things I’ve heard so far. This would be a podium track for me.

Tristeza - Halo Heads: A light, atmospheric track. I tend to prefer more ‘intense’ post-rock but I enjoyed this.

Mike’s selections:

Mercury Tree - Disremembered: This is another band/track I know. I do enjoy the microtones, but it sometimes takes an adjustment for me. While I preferred their two previous albums, Countenance and Permutations, over Spidermilk, I enjoy this track and it’s a good selection.  

Fovea Hex - Every Evening: Nice to hear this band again anda  dreamy piece it is. Makes for a great nighttime soundtrack.

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 11:59
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

TCat:
The Mercury Tree - Disremembered:
I have this album and it made my top 20 of 2019. Microtonal guitars make some really, really cool sounds. On top of that, this group has a knack for quirkiness and unsettling sounds that just envelope me with ear candy. Two years later and this album should have had over 200 ratings by now. This song is just a taste of the genius of Ben Spees. I'm curious about listening to his collaborative Ventifacts project which just came out this month. Excellent pick!

Fovea Hex - Early Evening:
From the chaos of Ben Spees to floating through space. Love the tones this keyboard is making (I think it's a keyboard). The subtle hints of other sounds percolating from undernearth the keys give this a nice texture. A nice and pleasant song.

Thanks for the comments.  Here is another interesting fact about Ben Spees that you might be interested in.  He helped out with another album from a band I brought into the archives last year...Cryptic Ruse, which is in Progressive Metal, but is a one-man project also experimenting in microtones.  Ben Spees does guest vocals on 3 of the tracks (the others are instrumental).  I know you are not a big fan of prog metal, but I really think you would like this one as it's in the same wheel house (you do have a house for wheels, right?).

Here's the bandcamp link:  UNFERTILE | Cryptic Ruse (bandcamp.com)

Replying to this about Ventifacts. I got that over the past weekend and I highly recommend it. Collaboration of Ben Spees and Damon Waitkus (Jack O' the Clock). Excellent incorporation of microtones with eclectic prog-folk. This clip was released in April, previewing the work. Also Connor Reilly of Mercury Tree on drums.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>