Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - No one at the opening night of the Genesis tour?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No one at the opening night of the Genesis tour?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No one at the opening night of the Genesis tour?
    Posted: September 21 2021 at 02:21
Just reading the reviews this morning - but would like a PA perspective.  I refused to cough up - but kind of wish I had now (I am only 30 or so miles from the venue...)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 04:16
richardh said he was going.

Edited by chopper - September 21 2021 at 04:17
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 09:23
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Just reading the reviews this morning - but would like a PA perspective.  I refused to cough up - but kind of wish I had now (I am only 30 or so miles from the venue...)

I would have gone.....A NO BRAINER!!!! Like they say pay now or cry later.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 12:23
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

I would have gone.....A NO BRAINER!!!! Like they say pay now or cry later.

Hi,

Some things are worth paying for, but the rock/fan/crowd has so much stuff out there, that understanding what they are paying for is more than weird.

I said the same thing about the first time that Roger went out with THE WALL. Not everyone got to see the original show, and in many ways, Roger's was a cheaper version and not as far out as the original, but it was good nonetheless, and a chance to see one of the most historic of rock shows ever. 

I'm not sure that the GENESIS line up is not worth that amount of money for a ticket, but in the end, the band will be remembered, and not seeing it is silly ... go see a cheap prog band, right? And leave GENESIS behind? Not good thinking!

At my age, I doubt I will ever catch another "big" show, and my interest in music has changed a lot, and the stuff I like is not touring much that I can see, but it is more about the effort physically that is really hard to take, and sometimes a long drive which is not good at this age, when you are tired. I would love to see GENESIS, but with PG and SH, not the hit group (later)!

Don't be a fool. If you have the chance go see them. There are only a handful of big time bands and shows that count big, and this would be one of them. In my case, I would rather see Steve Hackett, but I doubt that the GENESIS folks and their band behind them are not going to be tight and really good!

Edited by moshkito - September 22 2021 at 06:04
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 03:05
I know Andy Blacksword went to see Steve Hackett instead - to be honest that would have been my choice out of the two as well.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 03:06
There's some comments on the gig from Richardh here - Genesis to tour in 2020 - Progressive Rock Music Forum - Page 2 (progarchives.com)
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 09:29
I was a bit disappointed over the setlist, since they  were doing another old medley, only an excerpt of Firth of Fifth, only the intro to Dance with the Moonlit Knight, and all of Carpet Crawlers. And what SEBTP song do they choose? I Know What I Like(In Your Wardrobe), one of the weakest songs on said album to me(I still like it though). Then they said that they rehearsed Suppers Ready, but the setlist does not even have that. Do me favor Phil, play less pop era songs, and play more prog songs!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 10:48
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I know Andy Blacksword went to see Steve Hackett instead - to be honest that would have been my choice out of the two as well.

As did I, and I feel it was absolutely the right decision.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 14:04
Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

I was a bit disappointed over the setlist, since they  were doing another old medley, only an excerpt of Firth of Fifth, only the intro to Dance with the Moonlit Knight, and all of Carpet Crawlers. And what SEBTP song do they choose? I Know What I Like(In Your Wardrobe), one of the weakest songs on said album to me(I still like it though). Then they said that they rehearsed Suppers Ready, but the setlist does not even have that. Do me favor Phil, play less pop era songs, and play more prog songs!

This. Exactly why I said earlier to anyone who asked me that this tour is too little, too late and completely unnecessary. Genesis without Gabriel and Hackett is just pop, and now way in hell are they going to do Supper's Ready or any full track from Gabriel era (except I Know What I Like) - because they know they'd ruin it. They should have just retired without this. 

Or as someone wrote on Facebook: It's a light show. Goog luck to all my prog friends who go to see this, while at the same time scoffing at popular DJs who are 'only a lightshow'. 
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 18:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 19:51
What the hell is that setlist. Awwww, is anybody gonna listen to Steve's new album. I'm certainly am, he is my favorite member... Who sadly can not be there. Steve is my favorite member of Genesis, his guitar work is sort of revolutionary.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 03:03

As Lazland says, it was the right decision, I'm confident of that.

I would pay to see Genesis, but what's happened to Phil has really affected me. I salute him - and his son - for getting up there, and doing this as a final farewell, but I would leave depressed.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 03:13

I would imagine that a majority of people at the Genesis gigs are fans of the post-Hackett era and have never heard Supper's Ready. Or even heard of Supper's Ready.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 07:54

I would imagine that a majority of people at the Genesis gigs are fans of the post-Hackett era and have never heard Supper's Ready. Or even heard of Supper's Ready.

Hi,

But to be fair, it was the time that they finally broke through the American market and sold millions and millions. That could not be said for the earlier stuff at all, even though we love it dearly. 

The sad thing, is that the folks that got into the "hit" GENESIS, never bothered to listen to the previous material much. However, the choice of material is the worst possible bit and piece from that band that I have ever heard. They might as well call it the Phil Collins Band.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 09:28

However, the choice of material is the worst possible bit and piece from that band that I have ever heard. They might as well call it the Phil Collins Band.

Not quite - Banks, Collins and Rutherford.  The Phil Collins band was more Brand X - he even suggested that Genesis 'go instrumental' when Gabriel left
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 09:41
Phil Collins still has the invisible touch and the trick of the tail in music, despite his declining health at old age. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 09:45

Awwww, the mainstream really is missing out. I can't believe more people love Taylor Swift's music than Suppers Ready. What world are we living in?
 Post Reply Post Reply