Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A King Crimson Dream Theater Message of Nightmares
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A King Crimson Dream Theater Message of Nightmares

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: If you have a preference, which of these do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.88%]
30 [88.24%]
2 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A King Crimson Dream Theater Message of Nightmares
    Posted: September 22 2021 at 16:25
Since I did a Message vs. DT poll, thought I'd do another with the other long track on From Books and Dreams, but I felt I had to include KC for this "heavy" poll. I'm sure KC will get the most votes, but this is not a contest. There are other nightmares I like that would fit, but I want to stick with three.

Dream Theater - "A Nightmare To Remember" (2009)

King Crimson - "One More Red Nightmare" (1974)

Message - "Dreams And Nightmares (Nightmares)" (1973

My favourite is the Message track, but I do like KC's (the Message and KC work better together than the DT, which is more temporally as well as stylistically different, also it's missing sax).

Edited by Logan - September 22 2021 at 16:34
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 16:40
King Crimson out of these. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 16:44
KC
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 16:47
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

That kind of statement always begs the question for me, "Okay, which one or ones not of these?"  

While I would request that people do check out the music (if they lack familiarity) and vote for one, I forgot to say, please feel free to mention any other heavy "Prog" "Nightmare" tracks if there is a sufficiently relevant other that one really likes and would like to share.  Not only do I hope to expose people to music through polls, but I like to learn about new-to-me music and rediscover old-to-me music.  I've learnt about much music from topics I've made over the years.  I don't mind digressions in my topics either generally if discussion turns in another direction. I don't want to be overly dictatorial in my own topics and am very happy to here about those pretty heavy Prog "Nightmares" that are not these.

Maybe I should do an other poll option, but I figure people can always mention those ones not on the list and when I do other options I often find people who won't comment on my selections at all even if requested in an OP.

There have been times when someone has voted for one of my choices and mentioned an other, and that became my favourite of the theme.  It's awesome when that happens.  And even if it doesn't become my new favourite, it might become another person's.

EDIT: While I do like it if people gain some familiarity of each track before voting when doing these shorter lists, with longer tracks if it ain't working for you, I don't expect people to sit through the whole thing (sometimes I scrub through the music -- I try to listen to enough to get a feel for the whole thing and if any of that that i move through interests me then I will give it a proper listen -- in the Interactive Polls I am more thorough but I treat every poll like an Interactive Poll to quite an extent  (I generally like to listen and compare).  I generally do like to try to be quite familiar with all of the options unless it's a lot as I then feel more comfortable sharing my opinions about the music and I like to compare/contrast and do so even if I don't verbalise my perspectives (I'm not very talented at "talking" music).  Bonus points to those who can say something about multiple selections, though.  Wink

Edited by Logan - September 22 2021 at 17:34
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 18:28
Hi everybody! and sorry for my poor english skills.

If I look for a word that defines the tree songs it would be intensity, i consider "From Books and Dreams" and "Red" masterpieces and as for the songs i vote for Message.

That song played by Message its really sinister, dark and so powerfull!!!, sabbath riffs, crazy sax, Kraut experimentation and manic rhythm section, i love this song 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 18:42
A Nightmare to Remember for me, despite the terrible lyrics.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 19:02
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Hi everybody! and sorry for my poor english skills.

If I look for a word that defines the tree songs it would be intensity, i consider "From Books and Dreams" and "Red" masterpieces and as for the songs i vote for Message.

That song played by Message its really sinister, dark and so powerfull!!!, sabbath riffs, crazy sax, Kraut experimentation and manic rhythm section, i love this song 

Your English skills seem great.  I had written a post talking about the three choices, but my computer shut down. Despite having English as a first language, having worked as an English teacher and as a copy-editor, I feel like you described it better than I had (though my thoughts were pretty similar) and with more feeling.

Intensity is a great word. Message's is my pick for the same reasons, and I love the groove, the riffage, and how it moves and builds through the track, takes a pause into other interesting and enjoyable to me territory.  And do I ever love that sax.  As for KC's it has some of those very same qualities that I love, but taken as a whole, Message's just takes me more on a dark but fun sonic adventure. I really like both of those.  As for DT's, while still intense in its way, it is quite a different kettle of fish.  It does sound rather too cliché to me in part (I guess it depends on if you like the cliché really since one might claim that the Message is rather derivative in part), but also a bit of a mess to me. Lots of ideas, but it doesn't come together elegantly for me. It's not a musical journey that I appreciate as much as the others.  That said, I haven't listened to that DT track enough to really digest it, whereas the other two I have listened to many times and so can appreciate the nuances as well as the overarching format.  DT is a hard one for me generally, but then I don't come with a strong metal background (unless perhaps one considers early versions of heavy metal or heavy rock or proto-metal as some use the term).  There is plenty of music on the metal side that I do really like.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 19:52
KC easily IMHO
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 00:42
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

KC easily IMHO

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 01:07
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

That kind of statement always begs the question for me, "Okay, which one or ones not of these?"  

I mean out of these three songs, I choose the King Crimson song. 
TBH I do not understand what confused you. EmbarrassedLOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 01:24

Sorry Cristi for not being clear.  The nuances of language can be subtle and hard to comprehend and it can be difficult  to discern intent.  Such phrasing can imply "Out of these three you opted for I choose such-and-such; however, had you gone for such-and-such  then I would have voted for that.". It's a given that it's those three songs, so pointing it out that it's out of those three can imply that your choices would be different.  Don't know if that makes sense to you.  I didn't know if that is what you were implying.  I know with some others they mean they prefer other choices.  Your post reminded me to mention this issue, as I sometimes do, that if people want to mention other relevant ones they should feel free, so I used it as a springboard to get into that.  I do that quite a bit with posts. :) 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 01:34

Sorry Cristi for not being clear.  The nuances of language can be subtle and hard to comprehend and it can be difficult  to discern intent.  Such phrasing can imply "Out of these three you opted for I choose such-and-such; however, had you gone for such-and-such  then I would have voted for that.". It's a given that it's those three songs, so pointing it out that it's out of those three can imply that your choices would be different.  Don't know if that makes sense to you.  I didn't know if that is what you were implying.  I know with some others they mean they prefer other choices.  Your post reminded me to mention this issue, as I sometimes do, that if people want to mention other relevant ones they should feel free, so I used it as a springboard to get into that.  I do that quite a bit with posts. :) 

Yes, sometimes I will say if there was another song, my vote would have been different, true, but this is a fine poll and I chose my favorite, in this case - the KC song. Sometimes I explain why my choice in a poll, sometimes I do not. But I never throw hidden meanings to my words with premeditation, that is. LOL
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 03:21
I'm with the majority here. So, King Crimson - One More Red Nightmare.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 05:04
KC is my favorite of these. This is the first time I've heard of the band Message. A very nice track and my second choice, actually not that far behind KC in quality. I'll have to explore some more music from Message. At the very least, their 1973 album is on my list of things to look for during future shopping excursions.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 16:25

Dream Theater out of these........LOL
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 16:33
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Dream Theater out of these........LOL

well yeah, to each their own
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2021 at 13:06
The Message singer reminds me of John Wetton.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 12:14
Of course it's Crimso'. It's a tall order to beat that one out.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 14:25
Red is not my favorite King Crimson album, but One More Red Nightmare is my pick. I like the Crimson guitar riffs in the song, and also the singing. Robert Fripp is one of my favorite guitarists, because I like his behavior, although he fired everyone from Islands and replaced them all for LTIA. 
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 18:30
KC for me. But Anthony Phillips' Nightmare is even better! Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>