Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norway's Needlepoint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norway's Needlepoint
    Posted: September 28 2021 at 19:25
I've only just discovered this amazing retro psych-folk band from Norway. I am SO IN LOVE! I don't think I'll be listening to anything but their albums for the rest of the year, so see you guys in 2022!

I've been so nostalgic for the optimistic psych-love music of the 1967-1969 period--music that artists like IVY, WEST INDIAN GIRL, DUNGEN, THE AMAZING, BRIAN ELLIS, TAME IMPALA, MIDLIFE, STARVING DAUGHTERS, MAGIC BUS, and GHOSTS OF JUPITER seemed to be tapping into--but here it's been all the -time--at least for the past ten years--right under my nose!

Anybody else feel like I do?

Edited by BrufordFreak - September 28 2021 at 19:37
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 20:44
Me too!!!, all their albums are great, perhaps my fav is Aimless Mary

Canterbury meets psych!!
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 22:15
They had been on a long and winding road since being added in PA library but crazy good, who can avoid them?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 01:22
a great band, their last two albums especially I enjoyed a lot. 

Edited by Cristi - September 29 2021 at 01:56
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 01:46
Yes. So lovely. Not unlike the bands and artists of the vintage Canterbury Scene, their music radiate a comforting warmth. Don't we all need some of that every once in a while? I do think the two latest releases of theirs are the two strongest albums by them.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 05:52
What are they putting in Norway's water?  Amazing stuff.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 06:02
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I've only just discovered this amazing retro psych-folk band from Norway. I am SO IN LOVE! I don't think I'll be listening to anything but their albums for the rest of the year, so see you guys in 2022!

I've been so nostalgic for the optimistic psych-love music of the 1967-1969 period--music that artists like IVY, WEST INDIAN GIRL, DUNGEN, THE AMAZING, BRIAN ELLIS, TAME IMPALA, MIDLIFE, STARVING DAUGHTERS, MAGIC BUS, and GHOSTS OF JUPITER seemed to be tapping into--but here it's been all the -time--at least for the past ten years--right under my nose!

Anybody else feel like I do?

Yes, I feel the same way too, having travelled in a fried-out Kombi, on a Hippie trail, head full of zombie, and listening to all four albums of flower-power retro-psychedelia by Magic Bus. Thumbs Up 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 08:06
I was told that these guys are definitely NOT Canterbury.

Huh?

Great band but I keep hearing Caravan.

And that's a good thing.
The Prog Corner
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 09:02
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I was told that these guys are definitely NOT Canterbury.

Huh?

Great band but I keep hearing Caravan.

And that's a good thing.

Magic Bus are a Caravan painted in bright psychedelic colours. Smile
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 14:06
Though Needlepoint's bluesy origins remind me more of DUNGEN and Motorpsycho, their more recent maturation into more sophisticated weaves has been a delight to discover. 

To my ears, Magic Bus has more of the true carefree upbeat quirky feel of the early Softs-Caravan-Khan-Hatfield sound--as well as a healthy injection of that 1960s California buzz.

I left out mention of another great modern master of quirk and upbeat humor, HOMUNCULUS RES, but, hopefully, you've all been familiar with their magic since 2013.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 16:18
^ Never heard anything of them, but I read your review of their latest album, thanks to this thread, and can only conclude that I have to listen to some of their work. Will do so. Thanks for the thumbs up!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 18:18
Amazing band! And superb live as well. 
dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 18:24
My favorite part of the last album is 02:10 - 03:20 from "I offered you the moon". I think that sums up the vibe and tonality of Bjørn Klakegg's compositions.

Their sound is so brilliant. I hope I will make something as hip when I'm 50 years old.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 07:46
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Though Needlepoint's bluesy origins remind me more of DUNGEN and Motorpsycho, their more recent maturation into more sophisticated weaves has been a delight to discover. 

To my ears, Magic Bus has more of the true carefree upbeat quirky feel of the early Softs-Caravan-Khan-Hatfield sound--as well as a healthy injection of that 1960s California buzz.

I left out mention of another great modern master of quirk and upbeat humor, HOMUNCULUS RES, but, hopefully, you've all been familiar with their magic since 2013.

Homonculus Res is amazing. Nobody has a problem calling them Canterbury!!!

Good call about Magic Bus!!! They're a lot of fun.
The Prog Corner
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2021 at 23:07
I discovered them this year from some post on the forum, and I really like what they are doing. Walking Up That Valley has become one of my favorite albums this year so far.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 02:26
they're amazing but they're definitely not crossover prog

they sound absolutely nothing like for example: Fractal Mirror.
the definition of crossover prog is:
Quote Crossover Prog contains progressive rock music that, though 100% progressive, may have a musical connection to popular music

but imo needlepoint has soooooo little connnection to popular music, that it doesn't count as crossover prog to me

also Fractal Mirror is not prog. xD

Edited by Hrychu - October 01 2021 at 02:26
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 05:57
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Quote Crossover Prog contains progressive rock music that, though 100% progressive, may have a musical connection to popular music

but imo needlepoint has soooooo little connnection to popular music, that it doesn't count as crossover prog to me

also Fractal Mirror is not prog. xD

When someone says a band (especially a band listed on this site) isn't prog then the dominoes begin to fall and before too long very few bands are considered "prog."
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 06:07
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

but imo needlepoint has soooooo little connection to popular music, that it doesn't count as crossover prog to me

sometimes bands end up in crossover prog when they're bounced around because they don't fit or are moved from/to another team to be evaluated. I mockingly call these bands "leftover prog" Tongue. Let's be glad Needlepoint are on PA. 

What category would you have them in? 

Edited by Cristi - October 01 2021 at 06:08
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 06:08
I'm not saying Fractal Mirror should be reconsidered. That was just my opinion.

As for Needlepoint, Prog Folk is more fitting IMO.

Edited by Hrychu - October 01 2021 at 06:09
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2021 at 06:27
I get it. I'm just saying you probably wouldn't consider a lot of bands on here to be prog then. Hey, it's cool. It took me a long time to think of the Moody Blues as prog. I think art rock is maybe a better term for many if not most of the crossover bands but imo art rock is part of the bigger prog umbrella anyway. 

As for Needlepoint, I've only heard a little bit recently. They sounded retro but very good. I'll have to hear more. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 01 2021 at 06:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>