Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rachel Flowers - Bigger on the Inside

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassonyonpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rachel Flowers - Bigger on the Inside
    Posted: September 29 2021 at 14:23

Multi-instrumentalist and Composer Rachel Flowers to Release Third Solo Album “Bigger on the Inside” October 1, 2021

California multi-instrumentalist and composer Rachel Flowers will be releasing her eagerly awaited new solo album on October 1, 2021. Rachel demonstrates with her latest effort that she truly is, as the title suggests, “Bigger on the Inside.” As a composer, Rachel seamlessly weaves together elements of progressive rock, jazz, classical, and pop music with cinematic orchestrations, soaring melodies, and virtuosic playing. Top this off with Rachel's 3 1/2 octave vocal range and her uncanny ability to explore universal themes ranging from love, joy, and hope to depression, bullying, and fear of an uncertain future with sensitivity and optimism, and you have an album that is destined to stand the test of time.

Says Rachel, “I was inspired by composers and bands like Ambrosia, Frank Zappa, and Keith Emerson while writing the songs on ‘Bigger on the Inside.’ Some songs were inspired by or even heard in dreams. Others were improvised during the recording process. Sometimes just hearing a new piano sound can lead to inspiration. Some of my lyrics just come from my imagination and others come from real experience.”

Rachel Flowers is recognized worldwide as a multi-instrumentalist and composer whose music spans multiple genres.

She first gained recognition for her talent as a young child and has been admired and mentored by those at the top of their field including Greg Lake, Keith Emerson, Dweezil Zappa, Conductor Terje Mikkelson, and a series of jazz greats, most notably Herbie Hancock. As a teenager she won numerous awards as a pianist and flutist, and has matured to perform and record on the global stage.

The award winning documentary “Hearing Is Believing” was produced about her unusual life and talents.

Among Rachel’s recording credits are her solo albums “Listen” (2016) and “Going Somewhere” (2018), “Music From the Soundtrack: Hearing is Believing” (2017), collaborations with Michael Sadler of Saga and fusion band Stratospheerius, and appearances on the albums of Telergy and Marcelo Paganini. Rachel is prominently featured on “Keith Emerson - Beyond the Stars,” and the much awaited CD and DVD set, “Fanfare For The Uncommon Man: The Official Keith Emerson Tribute Concert.”

Rachel continues to defy expectations, refusing to be pigeonholed by genre or by instrument. Her classical piano training started when she was only 4 years old. At 9 she discovered jazz and was immediately transfixed by the music of John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, and Ella Fitzgerald. As varied as her musical background had already been, hearing Emerson, Lake & Palmer proved to be a turning point. Rachel was captivated by keyboardist Keith Emerson's innovative integration of classical and jazz elements in a rock setting, and he became a musical role model.

While her favorite instruments continue to be piano and organ, she is also classically trained on the flute and plays the guitar, bass, saxophone, and Chapman Stick.

Says Rachel, “I’ve always wanted to create music that had those big sounds that I love. I was excited to incorporate more of the organ on this album, using my Nord C2D and Electro 4D as well as pipe organ sound libraries to get that iconic tone I was looking for. There is also a lot of electric guitar on this album. I was inspired by Steve Vai, John Mayer, Steven Wilson, and of course Adrian Belew, who was a direct inspiration for the opening track.”

In support of Rachel’s new album release she will be performing at ProgStock on October 1 - 3, 2021 (https://www.progstock.com/2021/). On November 6, 2021 Rachel opens for Asia featuring John Payne at the Union County Performing Arts Center in Rahway, New Jersey, and she is slated to perform at Synthplex, the “All Things Synthesizer” electronic music festival & gear expo, on October 27 - 30, 2022 at the Los Angeles Burbank Airport Convention Center.

Rachel’s future plans include completion of a jazz album, and a jazz/hip-hop fusion album, both started during the pandemic. There are no release dates as yet. Plans to record with a live orchestra are currently in discussion.

In closing Rachel has this to impart to her listeners, “The message I would like my listeners to come away with is that there will be darkness, but you can fly, you can love, you can be loved, and the darkness is only temporary.”

To Purchase:
Bandcamp https://rachelflowers.bandcamp.com/album/bigger-on-the-inside
Apple Music https://music.apple.com/us/album/bigger-on-the-inside/1584874386
Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FPJ2P86

For more information:
Website http://rachelflowersmusic.com
SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/rachelflowers-1
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/RachelFlowersMusic
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/RachelFlowersMusic
Twitter https://twitter.com/RFlowersMusic
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rachelflowersmusic
Spotify https://open.spotify.com/artist/4grHJyvpWRMC9cSDzohYaf

Press inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH: 828-350-8158, [email protected]

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 14:39
I am looking forward to hearing the full album. Despite all of the amazing prog cover work, her previously released original material didn't really fit under our umbrella. I have high hopes for the new album as I really would like to see her in the database.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2021 at 07:51
Hi,

Rachel Flowers
Bigger on the Inside

I have, for at least 60 years of my life heard a lot of music. Some is great, some is OK, and some did not really grab my inner mind. But one thing that has always been there and it is something that is hard to speak about, is that somehow, a lot of it had a visual sense for me, which was always the clue about the music, I think. History discusses classical music as a real important visual thing, and this goes way back to the great symphonies and concertos. So does eastern music, where you are supposed to fly with the "feel". Rock music, sadly, has replaced a lot of its musical lyricism with lyrics and (sometimes) senseless solos, that supposedly tell you what the music is about ... and then you hear something that is not "visual" per se, but the lyricism in it, drives it well ... until you hear Rachel Flowers ... "I feel like I could fly ... " and see the music take off, you know that what you have here is special and far out. Not to say that the rest of the album is not as good, it is and then some. The whole things stands out.

I have, for a long time, appreciated Rachel Flower's work, and specially for me is her acoustic versions of Keith Emerson's works, with TARKUS on the piano being the special one, that I wish was available as a CD, and not just on the tube,  and folks realize what a magnificent piano concert it really was, and how the heck was our beloved Keith Emerson going to show it to his mates, so they could figure out how to present it in their own style and ability ... and they did, as well as they did a lot of other works.

This album, I suppose that it is easier to say that it is a very personal album, and she sings it with a conviction that is very strong, and the music is not afraid to show it even more. So in the piece "The Darkness", another very personal song, she unleashes a metal edge here and there, and the funny thing ... it's not out of place, and shows very clearly how one can illustrate a lot of words and not fail to create something that could easily be thought of as just a solo. The fact that it is cohesive and CLEAR, pretty much dumps that idea. If that is not enough, the following piece "Feel" is even more far out, and I suppose that I could easily tell you that ... goodness is that Frank Zappa on the guitar? ... but it's not. It's Rachel, and the quality of how it is used and the orchestrated style with which these two pieces are done, make it a fundamental and incredible listen for those that love music that really flies, instead of expecting it to tell you that it supposedly flies. Here, the music lives and the amazing thing is that you get the feeling that George Martin is the one that put this stuff together, because the way that each piece is presented is so well done, and it flows from the keyboards as an orchestra to just a piano, or voice, and then something else ... a combination that is a treat for one's ears, if we want to hear something special, instead of just a hit song.

It's a very personal album, and you can tell, and she speaks of it on an interview, that she did all the mixing, and it also shows that she has a very clear idea of what she wants to do with a piece of music, instead of relying on simple lyrics to tell you ... she sings well, and it is easy to flow on it, but the music itself, lives so beautifully with her words, that it's hard to think of them separately.

One thought came to my mind, that the next step is probably going to be a concerto or a symphony of some sort, because what she does with the music, and eventual mix is super special, and I think it will stand up for a long time. 

A long time ago, Guy Guden (Space Pirate Radio) made another one of his funny comments, that sometimes things are so heavy they are weightless ... and if I have a comment about this album it is just that. It is super progressive, in that it does not conform to the cookie cutter form that has made the form "famous" at the expense of the quality of the music. And sometimes, this is confusing, because a lot of the "progressive" thoughts and fans, tend to stick to a definition that does not even conform to the very word it professes to be and follow ... but in the hands of Rachel Flowers I can tell you, that "progressive" is in good hands and you and I can only hope that we will hear a lot more, for this is special and something that you will not hear every day ... well, when I get done hearing "Feel" for the umpteenth time, I will let you know, but its appreciation is still as strong as the first time ... you can really FEEL this album if you are not conditioned by "forms" of something or other. And I'm not sure that an artist can ask more or give you more than that ... and present it so beautifully.

A very special album and highly recommended.

A well deserved 5 Stars

Edited by moshkito - November 23 2021 at 07:14
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rminsk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 00:41
Originally from https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/p/rachel-flowers-takes-giant-leap-with

Rachel Flowers Takes Giant Leap with "Bigger on the Inside"

An extraordinary artist of immense talent, Flowers hits all the right notes on her new album.

Multi-instrumentalist and composer Rachel Flowers is an extraordinary artist. Born 15 weeks premature, Flowers spent three months in a children’s hospital to start her life and sustained permanent loss of sight as a newborn due to retinopathy of prematurity. Despite several eye surgeries, doctors couldn’t repair her vision.

But early in life, she displayed incredible musical aptitude, learning music like most people learn to speak. Flowers started classical piano training at the age of four, an age at which she was already able to play Bach fugues by ear. By age nine she had discovered jazz and became a fan, and soon after that she learned about the complex things Keith Emerson was doing in the progressive rock supergroup Emerson, Lake & Palmer when a friend played her ELP’s Trilogy album.

“It was ‘The Endless Enigma’ and I was hearing this and I was like, wow. They’re doing fugue type stuff, like the Bach thing, and it’s wilder, and they’ve got the bells,” she said. “The synthesizers are like horns or something.”

She became a YouTube sensation a decade ago as a teenager due to her ability to mimic Emerson’s keyboard wizardry as if she’d written the parts herself, Flowers’ life has been chronicled in the documentary Hearing is Believing. She has also been mentored by some of the outstanding musicians of our time. She met both Emerson and Greg Lake prior to their passing, has played live with Dweezil Zappa as part of his Zappa Plays Zappa tours (with minimal prior rehearsal), and has learned from Herbie Hancock.

Now 27, Flowers, a gifted pianist, flautist, and guitarist (she also plays bass, saxophone, and Chapman Stick), has emerged as an important artist in her own right. She has refined her songwriting and developed her beautiful three-and-a-half-octave voice. Entering 2021, she had released two albums — Listen (2016) and Going Somewhere (2018) — and has also collaborated with the likes of Saga lead vocalist Michael Sadler and fusion band Stratospheerius.

Rachel’s new album, Bigger on the Inside, fuses progressive rock, jazz, pop, and classical influences all together into a cohesive, cinematic, and enjoyable nine-song record that takes listeners on an hour-long journey on which she plays all the instruments — and does so brilliantly. Drums were added via keyboard using a sound library. She also recorded and mixed the album herself, with her mother, Jeanie, serving as executive producer. The album title comes from a recurring line from the television series Doctor Who, but it could easily also mean Flowers’ talent. Her unassuming physical form contains an entire universe of creativity, unrivaled musical prowess, and an enormous sense of musical adventure. Much of that comes to light in Bigger on the Inside.

When asked who influenced her, whether on a particular song or in general, she rattles off a long, eclectic list of artists across multiple genres. She assimilates bits and pieces (which she calls “this and that”) from disparate styles and approaches and is adept at fitting them together seamlessly.

The album opener is single “A B,” a funky instrumental that features jazzy electric piano over an infectious bass groove. Flowers said the song was inspired by hearing Adrian Belew’s band live during the (literally) floating progressive rock festival known as Cruise to the Edge.

“After the show I was in a cabin and I immediately started singing this idea,” Flowers said. “I had my Victor Reader Stream (handheld media player) out and I sang it. I was just, out of nowhere, hearing the start of the song. And then when I got home, I got my Korg keyboard and started recording, finishing the song. I was thinking King Crimson meets Snarky Puppy. Snarky Puppy’s one of my favorite instrumental fusion type bands. They're very symphonic and they're pretty cool.”

“Take Me Away” follows “A B” and it’s the first of three epic tracks on the album, clocking at 11:47. It starts with a huge organ sound as if the listener is standing in a gothic cathedral. Although it seems like it came from a Rick Wakeman album, Flowers said her inspiration for the “Take Me Away” intro came from early Ambrosia.

“There’s that interlude in ‘Cowboy Star’ (from Somewhere I’ve Never Travelled) that’s (got) that pipe organ kind of section in it,” she said. “I was sort of thinking of that, actually.”

After the pipe organ intro, the song goes quiet, Flowers’ ethereal vocals take center stage, and then the song takes flight, going through twists and turns along the way. Flowers drew inspiration from multiple sources for the epic track.

“I was listening to Alan Parsons Project’s Tales of Mystery and Imagination. I was also listening to Focus, like their Hamburger Concerto album,” she said. “What else? Various musicals like Jesus Christ, Superstar. I think I was also listening to some Kelly Clarkson. And Yes, of course, with Close to the Edge.

Flowers starts off “Too Much” softly with a delicate vocal over a muted electronic rhythm with some light piano and then slowly brings other elements into it. The song builds to a crescendo that includes a mantra-like repetition of the line “It’s too much for me to take.”

“I think I just liked the sound of a simple idea,” she said of the recurring line. “I wanted to challenge myself and see what I could do with just playing around with a simple idea, and just build on it — sort of like with jazz, taking a thought and just exploring it. And it can be very soft, it can be aggressive, it could be almost dark, it could be enthusiastic, or whatever.”

One of my favorite tracks on the album is “Love Today,” which is the most pop-sounding, accessible songs on the album. Flowers’ layered vocals are reminiscent of Wilson Phillips, which is ironically one of the few bands brought up in our conversation with which she wasn’t completely familiar. But below those vocal harmonies Flowers plays with intricate instrumentation. It rises in intensity with a guitar solo and then resolves into organ before the sound of waves arrives and brings back Flowers’ layered harmony vocals.

“For the really big sounds a lot of times I would probably do two sopranos on the left, two sopranos on the right. Same with the altos, the tenors,” she said of recording vocals for the album. “It was like 12 tracks (of vocals). A couple leads, because one of them is harmonized. And then all the background vocals. I like to bounce them in a single audio track so that way I can mix it better.”

Flowers’ ELP influences return in “This is the Way I Am,” which had lyrics supplied by her mom, Jeanie. The song is overtly progressive but doesn’t overstay its welcome at just over six minutes long. Jeanie wrote the lyrics based on a discussion with Rachel about how she had been bullied years earlier — not by other students, but by school staff.

“The story is Rachel’s,” Jeanie said. “First off, she had written the music.”

“This was around 2012, when I was really in my ELP phase,” Rachel chimed in. “A lot of my compositions back when I just started writing were really in sort of the Keith Emerson style because my brain was still processing a lot of his techniques, and so I wasn't ready for a lot of the other artists until later on.”

“She hadn’t started writing lyrics yet at that point, but she had a title for it,” Jeanie said of “This is the Way I Am.” “It took us a really long time to figure out what the song was really about, and she wasn't ready to put it on an album yet.

“So, we took a while, and finding the melody was tough. And we talked a lot, and it came out as we were talking that she had some issues in school that she had never told me about at the time. The terrible thing about it is it wasn’t other kids. It was aides and teachers who had shamed her and bullied her and just really kind of messed with her head. And here I was learning about it years later, when there was nothing I could do about it. We were both a little upset about that and we realized this is what the song needed to be about because it had an aggressive feel to it that was different than a lot of the other things that she was doing at the time. And we wanted to just express what she went through, but as I was writing the lyrics, I realized it can't just be about being angry and being upset, because that's not the way she is. It had to have a positive spin to it.”

During the lyric-writing process Jeanie would show Rachel what she’d written to ensure she was accurately capturing what her daughter had gone through and how she felt. Jeanie’s lyrics also form a wonderful response for anyone who has been bullied.

I don’t care what you say, you can’t hurt me
I have friends that will never desert me
I have joy and you can’t make me lose it
I have love, I have life, I have music

The second of the three epics is “The Darkness.” Clocking in at just over 10 minutes long, it is the album’s most cinematic piece.

“I was very little when Titanic was huge. What my brain was really into wasn't only the Celine Dion song (“My Heart Will Go On”), but it was the rest of the James Horner score,” Rachel said. “And the way that the different melodies are used and the orchestration.”

“The Darkness” gives the listener that feeling of watching a film at the theater for about four minutes before turning into more of a traditional song. If the second half of the song gives off a Dream Theater vibe, it’s because Rachel had been listening to that band’s iconic Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence albums. Both of those Dream Theater classics are cinematic musical masterpieces, so it’s no surprise how “The Darkness” turned out.

As with “Too Much,” Flowers plays with the repetition of lyrical lines in “The Darkness” before it returns to movie score mode in the final minute.

The final longform song, “Feel” is just shy of 12 minutes long. There are hints of older Ambrosia, ELP, Steely Dan, and more along the journey, and it has one of Flowers’ best guitar solos in it.

“I was thinking of John Petrucci from Dream Theater and Frank Zappa, so it's a little bit of just something that's like very jazzy and fusiony,” she said of the solo. “I was also thinking of Steely Dan, as well.”

The positioning of “Feel” on the album couldn’t be more perfect. Following “The Darkness,” this track gives off the vibe of physically coming out of the darkness, as Flowers sings:

I feel like I could fly
Reaching for the sky
I dream that I could sing
Almost anything

The song closes with two more uplifting numbers, “Beautiful Dream” and “With You.” The former is a ballad of support for someone going through a tough time and shares some themes found elsewhere in Flowers’ songs of music having the ability to make things better. The latter is a mid-tempo song of love or friendship (or possibly both). There are some light jazz influences in it but it has depth and space to it and should be listened to on a good set of headphones for maximum effect.

Like Flowers herself, Bigger on the Inside defies categorization. Fans of progressive rock and jazz will find plenty to like on the album while it isn’t strictly either kind of music — at least not exclusively. There are also elements of funk, pop, classic rock, and more.

“I like to see myself as like someone who loves all kinds of music,” she said.

With the album release, Flowers will turn her attention toward other projects already in the works, including a jazz vocal album and what she described as “sort of a hip hop/jazz fusiony mixture kind of an album.”

Find out more about Rachel Flowers at her website. You can purchase her music at her Bandcamp site.

For my entire interview with Rachel, including some help from Jeanie, please see the video below. Rachel provided more background on her history with music, her influences, her appearance with Zappa Plays Zappa, her recent experience at ProgStock, and much more in the interview.

Thank you for your time. If you’re new to MRC, please consider subscribing so you can get this newsletter in your email weekly. I’ll never spam you. You will get new issues of the newsletters right away when they go live, which typically happens weekly but there are occasionally bonus issues. I may, at some point, send out a reader questionnaire to get feedback so that I can improve your experience, but that will be rare.

Edited by rminsk - October 26 2021 at 12:34
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 05:59
I'm gonna listen to this as soon as I can. Tongue
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 06:33
I might take this album for a spin if it is indeed dimensionally transcendental.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 08:58
Sounds good to me so far, I'll be having another listen tomorrow.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 10:00
Hi,

It is always nice to hear folks discuss how they come up with things, and not feel like they are having their secret stolen ... there is no secret, and the ability to discuss these things with Rachel is far out and neat, and we could only wish that some more folks did this.

You realize real quick that inspiration is what makes these things go, but how you interact with it, is the result in a lot of work you do. 

And in this case, with someone that pretty much played all the instruments in her album, it should be considered amazing that she was able to put it all together into a wonderful album. AND, I can't even tell you how much I like one piece over another!

Major kudos, specially in a time when folks still do LOUD for progressive, and over do SOLOS so they can consider their music ... progressive. By comparison, some of the material that Rachel does is far more progressive than a lot of the stuff being done and shown today ... most of it, just the cookie cutter variety!

And, sadly, she's not even listed as one of the artists in PA. She deserves to be there.

Edited by moshkito - October 29 2021 at 23:05
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply