Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - The Quest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes - The Quest
    Posted: October 04 2021 at 08:44
So just at the end of my first listen of the whole album. 

Initial thoughts? Not as bad as H&E but that's not a massive recommendation. It's ok, kind of prog light but I don't think I will be buying it. "Mystery Tour" is all about the Beatles (how many references to Beatle songs can you get into one lyric) and is a bit cringe- worthy, the synth sounds are very high on the cheese factor at certain points but overall it's a 2 or 3 star album. Pleasant but uninspiring. You could play it over the speakers in a supermarket without upsetting anyone.

I'm fully expecting P.Paul to give it at least 5.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 09:13
^I also just had my first listen through yesterday.
This seems like a fairly accurate account of what I heard as well. Prog lite. Most songs, more or less, sound the same to me. I don't mean I can't distinguish between the different melodies, I mean they just sound the same instrumentally...uninspired. Sure Howe has the 'Relayer' like guitar sound happening, but the keyboards seemed lost to me. And even though Jon Davidson sure has the Jon Anderson timbre, it somehow doesn't quite elevate the music the way I feel JA's voice did.
A, not altogether unsurprising, bit of a let down for this Yes fan. But then I've felt that way for a longtime now.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 09:55
I gave up after 4 songs. 
I'm gonna try again some other time. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 09:59
It's the prog equivalent to this beer.
It'll do in a pinch but never really satisfies.

• Miller Lite Beer Ice Bucket

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 10:32
^ so you're saying it's piss prog Clown
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 10:34
^ hey, i like that! Piss prog!!! LOL

Yeah, that's EXACTLY what it is!

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 10:48
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ hey, i like that! Piss prog!!! LOL

Yeah, that's EXACTLY what it is!

You would have to pay me a very large sum of money to drink that piss.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 11:00
I would disagree with you guys on this one, I found it to be a very good album, probably the best record yes has made since The Ladder. I think it is a step in a new direction for the band that I find quite enjoyable. Jon Davidson seems to be getting more confidence as a vocalist. It seems to me like he not trying as hard to sound like Jon Anderson and is actually getting a voice of his own. As well I find that the use of orchestral arrangements gives this album it’s own unique sound that is unlike any other Yes album. I know they have used orchestral arrangements before, but this time I think the way they used it was unique from their previous efforts. In my opinion I think this is a super high quality yes album, I would probably give it 4- 4.5 stars ⭐️. Excellent album in my view.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 11:18
^ it's not a horrible album by any means. More of a prog by the numbers sort of thing.
In 2021 i'm just personally more interested in innovative creativity rather than playing it safe.
I'm glad you find it enjoyable!

MaxnEmmy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MaxnEmmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 11:21
It takes a few listens to really get into.  There is definitely something missing and I feel it's Chris SQUIRE.  I would call this regressive as apposed to progressive.  If they were touring in my area, I would skip it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 11:23
It's better than some and worse than others. Very average.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 11:30
Originally posted by MaxnEmmy MaxnEmmy wrote:

It takes a few listens to really get into.  There is definitely something missing and I feel it's Chris SQUIRE.  I would call this regressive as apposed to progressive.  If they were touring in my area, I would skip it.

Usually classic bands like this release an album simply to justify a tour so i would guess that live shows will focus more on the classics than new material.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 11:52
Also listened to it yesterday; needed two attempts to get to the end.
No, it is not good. Was this a new prog band, I would indeed call it prog by numbers with hints of Yes. But this is Yes, and it is much too bleak to be Yes music. It is better than H&E indeed, but it is very forgettable music. I don't hear any spontaneity, any creativity, any pleasure they might have had in making this. It is just bleak.

It is definitely clear for me that in the songwriting department the good ones have left this band. There are some nice melodies, on one song some above average singing (I'm thinking of Leave Well Alone...). For the rest it is hardly going beyond elevator music, apart from a couple of moments that might disturb the passengers. Steve Howe shows that he can give guitar lessons to beginners with all the tone scales he's spreading around. The orchestrations overall couldn't get more cliché than what they are on this album, and the synth are regularly - indeed - on the cheesy side. Best track in my opinion is The Ice Bridge, which only underlines the fact that for good songwriting they have to bring in someone else...

Edited by suitkees - October 04 2021 at 11:53

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 12:01
It's a completist album at best......They need to stop or only record with Jon Anderson, Rick, Steve H and Alan White to have a chance at creating something worthy to be called a Yes record.

I don't drink Lite beer
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 12:08
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

It's the prog equivalent to this beer.
It'll do in a pinch but never really satisfies.

• Miller Lite Beer Ice Bucket

HA I'm totally drinking Miller Lite as I type this!

I need to check out the album; a former band mate messaged me saying it was passable on first listen.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 12:17
It's missing the aggressiveness and tension that their music used to have. I think Heaven & Earth is slightly better than this offering, but that's not saying much, isn't it? I guess I should give it another couple more listens, but there's so much out there much better than this that I should really be focusing on.

I would never tell these guys to quit what they're doing. If they're having fun doing this, then that's great. Their direction in music just isn't the same direction my ears are leading me these days, so we part amicably and leave it at that.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 12:21
Only for hardcore fans of Yes, 2 stars

I listen this album 3 times and bores me to death, some nice songs, but very safe

Edited by Progmind - October 04 2021 at 12:22
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 12:32
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I would never tell these guys to quit what they're doing. If they're having fun doing this, then that's great. Their direction in music just isn't the same direction my ears are leading me these days, so we part amicably and leave it at that.

Of course, and if this is what they want to do, they should go on doing it. But we could ask (plea, beg) that they don't stick the Yes name to it. In my opinion it is unworthy of Yes music (but they're probably too much cashing in on the brand name, to abandon it...).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 14:01
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Of course, and if this is what they want to do, they should go on doing it. But we could ask (plea, beg) that they don't stick the Yes name to it. In my opinion it is unworthy of Yes music (but they're probably too much cashing in on the brand name, to abandon it...).

I can't argue with that. It's a fair point.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 14:05
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

It's a completist album at best......They need to stop or only record with Jon Anderson, Rick, Steve H and Alan White to have a chance at creating something worthy to be called a Yes record.

I don't drink Lite beer

I can't bring myself to buy it--will be a first --but sounds boring as hell---besides Howe and White this lineup had little chance of doing a great album or even a good album--agree with your comments even though that will never happen. Sounds like OYE meets H and E.

One professional reviewer said after the first 2 songs its all downhill---and welcome Starcastle . That to me says avoid at all costs---a horrible end to a great career. Sounding like Starcastle. But the lyrics are so insipid as to be laughable. JA at least made his lyrics so obtuse the sounded good.

Edited by twosteves - October 04 2021 at 14:06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>