Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - The Quest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 14:51
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ it's not a horrible album by any means. More of a prog by the numbers sort of thing.
In 2021 i'm just personally more interested in innovative creativity rather than playing it safe.
I'm glad you find it enjoyable!

I don’t quite agree with saying that it’s a prog by numbers album, I see a lot of stuff on here that I don’t hear in many other prog albums. It seems to me like they are exploring new ground on this album that I don’t hear in very many other records. I think they are trying to sound different then they have before and in that respect this album is really good.
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 14:53
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

, and the synth are regularly - indeed - on the cheesy side.

Yep I agree, I think that they really do need to try to get Wakeman back because I do certainly find the keyboards on this album very lacking

Edited by Cboi Sandlin - October 04 2021 at 14:53
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 15:20
Not my cup of tea, but not a bad album, just average, which is a little disapointing from a band that has always been on the front of the prog scene.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 16:14
My first take is that it has more to offer than anything they have done since 90125. But its the usual over-scrubbed, "safe" sound production value that really turns me off. It really needs some dirt. Geoff Downes' choice of keyboard sounds always bugs me. There are only a couple what I would call truly bad songs. But I still probably won't listen to it again, and definitely won't buy it. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 18:55

It's the prog equivalent to this beer.
It'll do in a pinch but never really satisfies.

• Miller Lite Beer Ice Bucket

Lite tastes like crap! Dead
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 18:58
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

My first take is that it has more to offer than anything they have done since 90125. But its the usual over-scrubbed, "safe" sound production value that really turns me off. It really needs some dirt. Geoff Downes' choice of keyboard sounds always bugs me. There are only a couple what I would call truly bad songs. But I still probably won't listen to it again, and definitely won't buy it. 

The Keys songs are light years ahead of anything they've done in recent years. And they have Rick Wakeman doing his thing, not his [son's] replacement phoning it in.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 19:00
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Initial thoughts? Not as bad as H&E but that's not a massive recommendation. It's ok, kind of prog light but I don't think I will be buying it. "Mystery Tour" is all about the Beatles (how many references to Beatle songs can you get into one lyric) and is a bit cringe- worthy, the synth sounds are very high on the cheese factor at certain points but overall it's a 2 or 3 star album. Pleasant but uninspiring. You could play it over the speakers in a supermarket without upsetting anyone.

I wasn't going to buy it, but now I don't want to hear the rest of it! That's major cringe. It's 2021. What is the point of writing such a song??!! Thumbs Down
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 19:10
[
I don’t quite agree with saying that it’s a prog by numbers album, I see a lot of stuff on here that I don’t hear in many other prog albums. It seems to me like they are exploring new ground on this album that I don’t hear in very many other records. I think they are trying to sound different then they have before and in that respect this album is really good.[/QUOTE]

exploring new ground creating a new Yes sound was the same thing that was said about OYE at the time---the rest is history as it will be with this record. Sherwood has never written an interesting song. And neither can the singer.  Should have kept Ricks son in the band and get JA back
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 19:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39iKjq-4HOI
^For those who want to see it, i reviewed this album and uploaded my review to my YouTube channel. Check it out

Edited by Cboi Sandlin - October 04 2021 at 19:39
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 21:29
This album seems to lose against Yes' own glorious past, even against an hypothetical future with Anderson & Wakeman (any of them) back on board. But in a present of hardly memorable albums, it runs with a chance.

Edited by Heart of the Matter - October 04 2021 at 21:34
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 23:57
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

It's the prog equivalent to this beer.
It'll do in a pinch but never really satisfies.

• Miller Lite Beer Ice Bucket

Lite tastes like crap! Dead

If PA itself were a beer, it'd be a lite one that makes Miller look like Guinness in comparison Wink.

Rolling Rock would look high class relatively speaking.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 00:55
Yes brought us Close To The Edge 49 years ago, but these days they are not producing Music To My Ears and I see no Future Memories of this album for myself, because this album doesn't have an edge and is just not something I enjoy listening to.

If I want to listen to Yes, I would put on one of their good albums.

2.5 stars.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 01:34
I stopped listening after four songs. It's not terrible but there's just no edge to it at all. The amount of moments that sounded even mildly interesting to me did not justify the running time; I'm not listening to something this mediocre in full just because it's from a popular band when I still have a gigantic backlog of music I still need to listen to, most of which is probably more inventive, not to mention more in need of exposure and financial support.

What I don't understand is why they released this as a 2 CD set when it could have easily fit on just one disc.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 02:02

I got the CD yesterday, the artwork by Roger Dean is very nice, and I'm happy to add this new album to my collection. The music? Well, it's too early to tell, but so far I'm not very impressed. It's pretty much like I expected. Definitely closer to the bottom than to the top of my ranking, but still nice to have new music from the band.

malsader View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malsader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 03:02
So are you saying it is just 0.5 of a star less than say Close to the edge. No way! This new album is .... what's the word .... oh yeah ... Meh!
malsader View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malsader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 03:04
PS my previous reply is to cboi sandlin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 03:06
Originally posted by malsader malsader wrote:

PS my previous reply is to cboi sandlin

that's when you quote the person you mean to interact with. Tongue
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 03:14
If only YES could at least match the quality of their so-called imitators, e.g. Starcastle, Glass Hammer.
Well, at least the artwork is awesome.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 03:21
I'm giving it a second chance, let's see how many songs I can get through this time. LOL
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 04:00
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I stopped listening after four songs. It's not terrible but there's just no edge to it at all. The amount of moments that sounded even mildly interesting to me did not justify the running time; I'm not listening to something this mediocre in full just because it's from a popular band when I still have a gigantic backlog of music I still need to listen to, most of which is probably more inventive, not to mention more in need of exposure and financial support.

What I don't understand is why they released this as a 2 CD set when it could have easily fit on just one disc.

I haven't heard the album yet, but I'll be happy if it's close to the edge of being anywhere near as good as Heaven & Earth. Smile

I've just taken a look at the track listing for The Quest and it makes no sense to me either that Disc 1 is 47 minutes long and Disc 2 is only 13 minutes long when the songs could easily have all been included on one hour-long CD. Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>