Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - The Quest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 04:01
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I stopped listening after four songs. It's not terrible but there's just no edge to it at all. The amount of moments that sounded even mildly interesting to me did not justify the running time; I'm not listening to something this mediocre in full just because it's from a popular band when I still have a gigantic backlog of music I still need to listen to, most of which is probably more inventive, not to mention more in need of exposure and financial support.

What I don't understand is why they released this as a 2 CD set when it could have easily fit on just one disc.

I haven't heard the album yet, but I'll be happy if it's close to the edge of being anywhere near as good as Heaven & Earth. Smile

I think you'll be happy - it's better than H&E.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 04:04
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I stopped listening after four songs. It's not terrible but there's just no edge to it at all. The amount of moments that sounded even mildly interesting to me did not justify the running time; I'm not listening to something this mediocre in full just because it's from a popular band when I still have a gigantic backlog of music I still need to listen to, most of which is probably more inventive, not to mention more in need of exposure and financial support.

What I don't understand is why they released this as a 2 CD set when it could have easily fit on just one disc.

I haven't heard the album yet, but I'll be happy if it's close to the edge of being anywhere near as good as Heaven & Earth. Smile

I think you'll be happy - it's better than H&E.
It's good to see the regular Yes line-up of Steve Howe, Geoff Downes & Alan White are all featured on the album too, so the omens are looking promising. Thumbs Up
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 04:12
I am half way through the album and as I am listening, the thought that comes in my mind is "I need to get a life!" 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 04:25
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I am half way through the album and as I am listening, the thought that comes in my mind is "I need to get a life!" 
LOL

I'm on my second listen. It might be growing on me a bit but it still has naff keyboard sounds and I've got the cringe-inducing Beatles song to come yet.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 04:36
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Initial thoughts? Not as bad as H&E but that's not a massive recommendation. It's ok, kind of prog light but I don't think I will be buying it. "Mystery Tour" is all about the Beatles (how many references to Beatle songs can you get into one lyric) and is a bit cringe- worthy, the synth sounds are very high on the cheese factor at certain points but overall it's a 2 or 3 star album. Pleasant but uninspiring. You could play it over the speakers in a supermarket without upsetting anyone.

I wasn't going to buy it, but now I don't want to hear the rest of it! That's major cringe. It's 2021. What is the point of writing such a song??!! Thumbs Down
To remind us how old the band members are? LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 04:38

I've just taken a look at the track listing for The Quest and it makes no sense to me either that Disc 1 is 47 minutes long and Disc 2 is only 13 minutes long when the songs could easily have all been included on one hour-long CD. Confused
Why? To make you pay more for a double CD.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 04:43

You could play it over the speakers in a supermarket without upsetting anyone.

this is unfortunately very funny and very true.

The album lack any "oomph". It's harmless and lifeless. 

And Big Generator is hated by many, but at least BG has something that post Magnification albums do not have and that is energy! life if i may say so.  

Edited by Cristi - October 05 2021 at 04:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 04:57

And Big Generator is hated by many, but at least BG has something that post Magnification albums do not have and that is energy! life if i may say so.  
If generating less "oomph" means The Quest doesn't sound anything like Big Generator, then that's a good thing in my view. I'd much rather listen to the "oomph-less" Heaven & Earth album than Big Generator anytime. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 05:01

If generating less "oomph" means The Quest doesn't sound anything like Big Generator, then that's a good thing in my view. I'd much rather listen to the "oomph-less" Heaven & Earth album than Big Generator anytime. Smile

No, it's not what I meant. I used two very negative adjectives to describe my thoughts on the new album - "harmless" and "lifeless". 

I mentioned Big Generator because it's dissed by many, but at least, for me, it's got energy, to be brutally honest, it's got some balls, that post Magnification Yes does not have.  
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 05:02
I've just got to Mystery Tour again and now I want to throw my speaker against the wall. This is rivalling Teakbois as Yes' lowest point.

"They let it be like they'd never been born"

"Brian was the glue that held it together"

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 05:03

I've just got to Mystery Tour again and now I want to throw my speaker against the wall. This is rivalling Teakbois as Yes' lowest point.

"They let it be like they'd never been born"

"Brian was the glue that held it together"

They forgot about George Martin. LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 05:16

No, it's not what I meant. I used two very negative adjectives to describe my thoughts on the new album - "harmless" and "lifeless". 

I mentioned Big Generator because it's dissed by many, but at least, for me, it's got energy, to be brutally honest, it's got some balls, that post Magnification Yes does not have.  
Big Generator was recorded with a lot of enthusiasm. New blood in the sound mix and songs that they felt would be radio hits, when they started recording it. Too bad the end of its recording resulted in tensions within the group. Perhaps it would have been a better album if that had not happened. So love it or hate it, the album does have energy.

Edited by SteveG - October 05 2021 at 05:25
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 05:40

Mystery Tour is indeed embarrassing and cringe worthy, so I’m personally glad that it is not part of the main album but only appears on the separate bonus disc. From that perspective it makes total sense that they put these three extra tracks on a disc of their own, to draw a clear line between these extras and the main feature.

Still, with Howe in an interview having described The Quest as an "ecological album", it looks bad that it comes with more plastic than needed Tongue

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - October 05 2021 at 05:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 05:59
I really love  the YES Mystery Tour song. It reminds me a lot of another favourite song of mine:-

Barclay James Harvest - Titles

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 05 2021 at 06:00
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 06:02

I really love  the YES Mystery Tour song. It reminds me a lot of another favourite song of mine:-

I also had the same reference in mind, both awful songs Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 06:05
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

I also had the same reference in mind, both awful songs Wink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 06:06
^ If all the songs on The Quest album are anywhere near as good as Mystery Tour, then it could well turn out to be a 5-star favourite album. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 05 2021 at 06:07
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 06:08

^ If all the songs on The Quest album are anywhere near as good as Mystery Tour, then it could well turn out to be a 5-star favourite album. Thumbs Up

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 06:13
Gee Paul, it could even be six stars! Shocked
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 06:14
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Gee Paul, it could even be six stars! Shocked

hey, don't give him ideas. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>