Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - The Quest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 16:13
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Is it worse that they still call it Yes (which they have the right to do as much as they want), or rather that you because of this feel obliged to listen to it? I don't mind them doing it at all, but I don't have time for it. No vote.
I'm starting to feel that way about some other "new" music.....don't have time.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 16:14
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

What does I'm So Glad have to do with The Beatles?

The Beatles and Cream are both coming up soon on my new Psych Britannia channel. Other than that, there's no connection at all. Smile
The Beatles are not psych.....they are girly bubble gum pop music. Clap
In a book about the history of Psychedelic Rock titled Turn on Your Mind, The Beatles are referred to as the "Acid Apostles of the New Age", but even if you don't agree that their music is psychedelic, there's no doubt their colourful clothes are psychedelic. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 06 2021 at 16:16
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 16:17

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

What does I'm So Glad have to do with The Beatles?

The Beatles and Cream are both coming up soon on my new Psych Britannia channel. Other than that, there's no connection at all. Smile
The Beatles are not psych.....they are girly bubble gum pop music. Clap
In a book about the history of Psychedelic Rock titled Turn on Your Mind, The Beatles are referred to as the "Acid Apostles of the New Age", but even if you don't agree that their music is psychedelic, there's no doubt their clothes are psychedelic. Smile

Please......

The Cosmic Joy of Earth, Wind &amp;amp; Fire - LemonWire
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 16:29
^ Okay, so they're not as colourful as Earth, Wind & Fire. Cool
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 16:34
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ hey, i like that! Piss prog!!! LOL

Yeah, that's EXACTLY what it is!

You would have to pay me a very large sum of money to drink that piss.

Would you allow me to buy you a Murphy's Stout, Steve?

Well, it would be a pleasure to share a drink with you, Charles!

Indeed!  When I lived & worked in Exeter, I was appalled that the Brit college lads & lassies were all clamoring for American beer, Budweiser, in the can!!  UGH!!  

Someday, my friend!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 04:57

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Original Beatles by Richard Avedon 1967 originals on linen image 1

Too easy.....

Madonna True Blue Abstract Portrait - Art By Dominic

Psychedelic Version of Lady Gaga Digital Art by John Malone
Yes, no acid trip is complete without listening to Madonna or Miss Gaga.  LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 07:22
I can't be a fan of the Green Bay Packers or Manchester United any more as there are no original members left.

See how ridiculous that statement sounds...
The Prog Corner
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 07:30
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I can't be a fan of the Green Bay Packers or Manchester United any more as there are no original members left.

it's not the same thing with sports. 
Also not true that the album is uninspired because there are no original members. This current line-up has created something that I for one find uninteresting, that's all. 
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 08:46
I haven't listened to the Yes album in question yet, so I can't comment on the music itself - but I do have to take slight umbrage at the idea of a "Yes" without Chris Squire.  

Several great bands fall into this dilemma for me.  Floyd, without Waters, isn't really Floyd to me.  I mean, A Momentary Lapse Of Reason is a brilliant album, I love it - and from a technical standpoint, T Lev is easily 10x the bassist Waters ever was... but it's just not "Pink Floyd" to me.
Alan Parsons (without Woolfson).  Tull (without Barre).  Tangerine Dream, without Franke - and don't get me started about TD using the name without Edgar Froese!  Kansas without Livgren, Elton John without Taupin's songwriting, Lennon/McCartney's music was plenty good after they split, but not the magic it was when together.  Ditto for Simon & Garfunkel.  The sum is sometimes greater than the parts.

But head and shoulders the biggest travesty in my mind is Fagen doing a "Steely Dan" tour without Becker.  That's just absolutely unacceptable to me.

The musical notes themselves can be flawlessly played by a number of musicians, but the presence of the original musician, especially if they are a fundamental and long-standing part of the band (or songwriting), is definitely an important factor for me, and I feel like the chemistry is... "off" when a fundamental member of a band isn't there.

Edited to add: But now I'm intrigued, I'm going to give this Yes album a listening today!

Edited by ProfPanglos - October 07 2021 at 08:57
DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 08:57

That sounds rather ridiculous, indeed. Don't think we would expect any player from 1878 to play in 2021 Man U... I also cannot remember any band who changed guitarist, singer, bassist, drummer, keyboardist or whatever musician during one and the same concert... (it may have happened though, but I don't think it's a rule...). As we say here: "comparaison n'est pas raison..."

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 09:01
Originally posted by ProfPanglos ProfPanglos wrote:

I haven't listened to the Yes album in question yet, so I can't comment on the music itself - but I do have to take slight umbrage at the idea of a "Yes" without Chris Squire.  

I actually agree here, with Squire sadly gone, there shouldn't be a Yes. 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 09:39
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Is it worse that they still call it Yes (which they have the right to do as much as they want), or rather that you because of this feel obliged to listen to it?

Interesting question, and I can only reflect on it from a very personal stance. Other than that they have the right to call themselves "Yes", I don't feel obliged to listen to it. But, because they call themselves Yes I felt compelled to listen to it in its entirety. If this was just an unknown band I would have abandoned after the second or third track... But (again), because they call themselves Yes, I have expectations that they present us innovative, creative music.

Yes, in my opinion, have always been progressing compared to their previous works, not always to please their fans, but they were always trying to explore new territories. Maybe the Talk album was  the last example of their forward thinking approach of music. Afterwards, again in my opinion, they were more and more harking back to ancient glory and formulas of Yes music. That forward thinking approach - apart from the creativity - is absolutely lacking since a long time. So, to make a long answer short: yes, I think it is worse that they still call it Yes - worse for the Yes legacy and worse for what Yes music stood for. This mediocrity is unworthy of Yes music so I can only suspect financial reasons to continue to use this b(r)and name...

Yes is (was?) my all time favourite band, considering their output up till 2001 (the Magnification album). What they've been doing since hurts to think that this - too - should be considered Yes music.

Edited by suitkees - October 07 2021 at 09:42

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 09:45

Yes, your statement was, indeed, ridiculous.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 10:53
I listened to the whole thing.  I tried to keep an open mind.

Kind words:  "Leave Well Alone" had a couple of groovy moments.  "Future Memories" is a pretty song.

Everything else was... Weak.  I'm quite certain I'll never listen to this album ever again (unless a track is playing over the supermarket speakers, in which case I'll have to speed up my shopping and get out of there).
DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 11:32

No original members = somebody needs to serve Yes a cease-and-desist order.

Tull (without Barre).

Yeah, just not the same.

Tangerine Dream, without Franke - and don't get me started about TD using the name without Edgar Froese!

Tangerine Dream operating without Edgar Froese, whether it was his bidding or not, is tantamount to sacrilege.

Kansas without Livgren

I am a Livgren fanboy. Still, they have made some good music without him, when Steve Morse was in the band. I also like Freaks of Nature. Kansas at least still has Rich Williams and Phil Ehart.
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 12:41
I'll give TD sans Froese a pass since live all they need to do is press play on the sequencer :D

TBF, the choice of members is pretty solid and I think Froese's widow gave them her blessing, if such things matter. 

I've no problem with bands surviving certain members, but in the case of Yes those members were iconic in sound and presence. Billy is a fine musician and he has every right to accept an offer to join, who wouldn't? But his sound is just an average, if competently played, bass tone. Chris was iconic, that rickebnbacker growl and his vox. Peerless. Same with John Anderson. It would be the same for Steve if and when he hangs up his guitar.

The Quest is ok, and that's about all you can say. The tyranny of mediocrity. Worth a listen, some nice moments, but it just lacks.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 14:51
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

I'll give TD sans Froese a pass since live all they need to do is press play on the sequencer :D

Yeah, that's all that was required to make all those legendary albums that inspired millions. Who needs Edgar's guitar playing or Johannes' piano mastery? Confused

Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

TBF, the choice of members is pretty solid and I think Froese's widow gave them her blessing, if such things matter.

If I'm correct, it has more to do with Edgar's wishes, that Tangerine Dream should outlive its founder and previous line-ups. I know for a fact Jerome does not approve, but since he left the band many years ago, he has no say in the matter.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 22:33
I just bought the album today. But I also got at last some albums I had ordered for a while now and hand't received yet. So, what did I choose to put on first? Rick Wakeman's The Red Planet. It sounds nice indeed.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 00:19
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

That sounds rather ridiculous, indeed. Don't think we would expect any player from 1878 to play in 2021 Man U... I also cannot remember any band who changed guitarist, singer, bassist, drummer, keyboardist or whatever musician during one and the same concert... (it may have happened though, but I don't think it's a rule...). As we say here: "comparaison n'est pas raison..."

Yes does that all the time now. I saw them in 2017 and the younger drummer had to sub in for Alan since he injured himself. It happened frequently throughout the concert.
Paulo V View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulo V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 02:36
A Meh album, when bands like Yes try to perpetuate a legacy based on making money at all costs the result is very simple....anything for the bizz, one more for the road, just that!
Always taking the point with the dawn patrol fraternity...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>