Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - The Quest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 04:00
Originally posted by Paulo V Paulo V wrote:

A Meh album, when bands like Yes try to perpetuate a legacy based on making money at all costs the result is very simple....anything for the bizz, one more for the road, just that!

nothing wrong with making money (don't we all?), maybe they have contracts to honor, problem is the songwriting is poor. 

A lot of older bands & artists have put out good music in their later days (Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Judas Priest, UFO, Glenn Hughes, that Kraan album from last year was great, Kansas, Rush and many others). 
Yes just does not deliver the goods anymore, at least not for me. 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 04:08
[/QUOTE]

A lot of older bands & artists have put out good music in their later days (Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Judas Priest, UFO, Glenn Hughes, that Kraan album from last year was great, Kansas, Rush and many others). 
[/QUOTE]

Just to add Procol Harum to the list
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 04:16
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I said " and many others". Tongue

Edited by Cristi - October 08 2021 at 04:17
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 06:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Procol Harum aren't many Smile
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 06:59
http://www.themanyothers.com/
These are Many Others (but theirweb site refuses to be linked)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 07:14

ok then, excuse me for forgetting about Procol Harum. 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 09:41

ok then, excuse me for forgetting about Procol Harum. 
I only wanted to say that their last album is excellent... and I was sure that a "Many Others" band existed somewhere in the world LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 09:45
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I just bought the album today. But I also got at last some albums I had ordered for a while now and hand't received yet. So, what did I choose to put on first? Rick Wakeman's The Red Planet. It sounds nice indeed.

With The Red Planet, you actually get what you pay for!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 18:55
^ Yeah, I just heard them both (once) and indeed the one that is more worth listening is The Red Planet. I still have to listen to them more times, though. And Anderson's 1000 hands album was also very nice. I still have to listen to Howe's one. But it still shows that Yes needs to come back together, they need to do something together again.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 10:34
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

I would disagree with you guys on this one, I found it to be a very good album, probably the best record yes has made since The Ladder. I think it is a step in a new direction for the band that I find quite enjoyable. Jon Davidson seems to be getting more confidence as a vocalist. It seems to me like he not trying as hard to sound like Jon Anderson and is actually getting a voice of his own. As well I find that the use of orchestral arrangements gives this album it’s own unique sound that is unlike any other Yes album. I know they have used orchestral arrangements before, but this time I think the way they used it was unique from their previous efforts. In my opinion I think this is a super high quality yes album, I would probably give it 4- 4.5 stars ⭐️. Excellent album in my view.

Agreed (well, not higher than 3½-4 stars).

It's a grower. Really enjoy Howe's work (some of his best !) and Davison's work as well. Overall the album reminds me of Magnification, though not as good. 

Still cannot listen to H&E although I try every 2½ years or so.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 10:38
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

It's a grower. Really enjoy Howe's work (some of his best !) and Davison's work as well. Overall the album reminds me of Magnification, though not as good. 

I disagree here, not even Howe could  save this lifeless mess of an album. 
Also Magnification is vastly superior to The Quest. And it's got something The Quest does not have:

"OOMPH!" LOL

Edited by Cristi - October 10 2021 at 10:38
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 11:00
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I just bought the album today. But I also got at last some albums I had ordered for a while now and hand't received yet. So, what did I choose to put on first? Rick Wakeman's The Red Planet. It sounds nice indeed.

Great, The Red Planet! Where did you find it - on vinyl I presume Wink I have been trying to trace it without luck.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 13:20
^ I'm afraid I'm not particularly romantic about the vinyl thing, though I do apreciate the idea, nor much of an audiophile, so I actually rather got it on CD (I did get a turntable, a rather basic one, but as it is, the speed needs to be calibrated to get it right, and I found that I would never be able to do it perfectly, so I rather prefer to hear it on a format in which I know the speed will be right by default). And I did just bought the album on Amazon, though I ordered it many months ago, only it arrived with an aunt in USA, and only just got a chance of someone bringing it to me. Though it turned out it was even available in the local store for a time, yet very expensive (imports have been way too expensive around here latley).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 02:54
Its not a terrible album. The opening track is the only real 'keeper' though and intriguingly Francis Monkman (ex Curved Air and Sky) gets a writing credit. After that it's not very interesting. Glass Hammer should link with what's worth of Yes linking with , basically Steve Howe and Jon Davison.  Aaron Raulston is a far superior drummer to what Alan White has become while Steve Babb is one of the bass players in prog. Fred Schendel v Geoff Downes? If anyone takes the latter then they have taken leave of their senses. Although I've not yet heard it, I can guarantee that the next GH album will be better and will be 'Yes' as you really want them to be.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 07:53

Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

I would disagree with you guys on this one, I found it to be a very good album, probably the best record yes has made since The Ladder. I think it is a step in a new direction for the band that I find quite enjoyable. Jon Davidson seems to be getting more confidence as a vocalist. It seems to me like he not trying as hard to sound like Jon Anderson and is actually getting a voice of his own. As well I find that the use of orchestral arrangements gives this album it’s own unique sound that is unlike any other Yes album. I know they have used orchestral arrangements before, but this time I think the way they used it was unique from their previous efforts. In my opinion I think this is a super high quality yes album, I would probably give it 4- 4.5 stars ⭐️. Excellent album in my view.

Agreed (well, not higher than 3½-4 stars).

That sounds like me.  With CTTE......
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 18:53

I disagree here, not even Howe could  save this lifeless mess of an album. 
Also Magnification is vastly superior to The Quest. And it's got something The Quest does not have:

"OOMPH!" LOL

This is exactly how I feel as well. Magnification (and the amazing Symphonic Live) blow this new album out of the water. Again, no offense to Howe and everyone else involved but The Quest is not an album that should be bearing the YES name at all. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 19:19
Judging by the consensus i think this album should have donned the Tormato album cover and titled

Tales of Rotten Tomatoes Pummeled!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
TheEliteExtremophile View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheEliteExtremophile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 20:51
The Quest is marginally better than Heaven and Earth, but it's still a limp, lifeless husk of a record.
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 20:55
Admittedly expectations were already set pretty low but this new record barely even hits that bar. 

We're never going to get another Union situation and that's a shame. Especially with ARW basically being dissolved at this point I'd say it's high time that YES finally came back together IMO. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 23:57
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Its not a terrible album. The opening track is the only real 'keeper' though and intriguingly Francis Monkman (ex Curved Air and Sky) gets a writing credit. After that it's not very interesting.

When the band released the opening track on YouTube, the somewhat anal online prog world went all a Twitter (groan) after Downes said that he had dug out some old demo tracks of his from the late seventies committed to tape and never heard of since that day. The prog detectives found out that the music on the tapes belonged to Mr Monkman, not Mr Downes.

Cue some embarrassing clarifications, apologies, and writing credit to Mr Monkman.

I do think that Downes made a genuine mistake as opposed to nicking the stuff, but I can’t imagine Obergruppenfuhrer Howe being terribly pleased with this “publicity”.

I found this amusing nonsense to be of far more interest than the album itself.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>