Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - The Quest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 04:08
"Mystery Tour" just came up on a Spotify playlist I was listening to. I got about halfway before I moved on to the next track, if I ever hear it again I may have to tear my own ears off.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 04:13
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

"Mystery Tour" just came up on a Spotify playlist I was listening to. I got about halfway before I moved on to the next track, if I ever hear it again I may have to tear my own ears off.

LOL
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 04:43
Just checking the lyrics -

"Shining like the moon, the stars and the sun
They knew the revolution had already begun
They gave us pins and needles on their mystery tour
Through the bathroom window without going out of your door"

Not sure about the reference to "pins and needles" - does Howe not know this is a Searchers song?
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 07:14
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

LOL
In that case, you won't be surprised to hear "Mystery Tour" is the highlight of the album for me. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 07:15
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

LOL
In that case, you won't be surprised to hear "Mystery Tour" is the highlight of the album for me. Smile
No. LOL
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 07:24

LOL

I got nothing LOL
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 07:33
It actually pains me to say these things about a song by one of my 3 favourite bands but unfortunately I find it  unlistenable and that's the only time I've said that about a Yes song. 
I don't mind the rest of the album now, it's not great but it's ok. I'll just make sure I skip this particular song.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 07:53

LOL

You should give the album Italian X-Rays by the Steve Miller Band a listen. I think you'll like the song Bongo BongoSmile

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 09:01

It actually pains me to say these things about a song by one of my 3 favourite bands but unfortunately I find it  unlistenable and that's the only time I've said that about a Yes song
I don't mind the rest of the album now, it's not great but it's ok. I'll just make sure I skip this particular song.

Alan, you've obviously not heard 'Open Your Eyes' all the way through... there really are some shockers on there.. and again, it pains me to say that about a band I loved to listen to, growing up.
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 09:04
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

It actually pains me to say these things about a song by one of my 3 favourite bands but unfortunately I find it  unlistenable and that's the only time I've said that about a Yes song

Alan, you've obviously not heard 'Open Your Eyes' all the way through... there really are some shockers on there.. and again, it pains me to say that about a band I loved to listen to, growing up.
I have played it a few times, nothing made me cringe quite as much as this one that I won't mention the name of.
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 06:02

Not sure about the reference to "pins and needles" - does Howe not know this is a Searchers song?

That’s rough. I just can’t stand songs that think they’re being clever with references about the band. It’s always corny. 
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2021 at 03:34
I've only listened to this album one time straight through and I've had no inclination to revisit it since. 

It's not terrible but terribly mundane by Yes and progressive rock standards. A shame really. 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2021 at 07:35

Name dropping songs.  Perhaps Howe had a boomer moment. Or Davidson had a Generation X-out
Pins and Needles -The Searchers
Revolution, Magical Mystery Tour, and She Came In Through The Bathroom Window- The Beatles 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - November 26 2021 at 07:38
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 05:03
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Name dropping songs.  Perhaps Howe had a boomer moment. Or Davidson had a Generation X-out
Pins and Needles -The Searchers
Revolution, Magical Mystery Tour, and She Came In Through The Bathroom Window- The Beatles 
And "the moon, the stars and the sun" is from Instant Karma, also not a Beatles song.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 13:58
This thread is worse than beating a dead horse.......
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 15:55
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

This thread is worse than beating a dead horse.......

*Steve Howe pokes his head in*

Did someone mention beating a dead horse? 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2021 at 14:22
I have played this album three times so far. I don't have much desire to keep playing it hoping it will grow on me. I'll probably play it one more time and then visit it again eventually. It's one that I'll probably keep just because I'm a huge Yes fan overall.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2021 at 01:09
^ you deserve some kind of award for getting through 3 listens LOL
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 20:27
I have this on order so I haven't listened to it yet, however the comments on this thread so far are pretty much what I expected to read.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - April 04 2022 at 20:36
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 20:35
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

But we could ask (plea, beg) that they don't stick the Yes name to it. 

It doesn't really concern me what banner the members of Yes choose to record under. I'm a huge fan and I will eventually end up getting everything they release, no matter what the permutation of members might be, including solo works.

Not quite a completist but very much skirting the event horizon of that black hole.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>