Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Seven tracks from seven albums released in 1979
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seven tracks from seven albums released in 1979

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: If you have preference, which of these tracks do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.76%]
3 [14.29%]
4 [19.05%]
1 [4.76%]
2 [9.52%]
10 [47.62%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seven tracks from seven albums released in 1979
    Posted: October 06 2021 at 10:47
There are more tracks from 1979-released albums that I would have liked to include, but I find seven to be a good not too excessive number when doing embeds.

Art Zoyd - Bruit, Silence - Bruit, Repos 

Henry Cow - On the Raft

Rahmann - Leila

The Residents - Birth

This Heat -  24 Track Loop

Univers Zero - Jack the Ripper

Vortex - Prolegomenes 

Sorry if you don't like my choice of tracks from the albums, or the albums I chose these from, and I wanted to avoid lengthier pieces. Feel free to mention any others provided that you also post the same of a track from the list that you did vote for.

Edited by Logan - October 06 2021 at 11:40
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 11:14
A very tough choice!!  OK, I went for the track that was actually recorded in 1978! 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 11:38
Actually, I should have specified and clarified that these are selected by me from albums released in 1979.
rik wilson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 12:27
Univers Zero is a RIPPER>
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 12:39
Although it feels a little odd when I make such curated-by-me polls to vote for one of the selections, I'll not silence myself, and give a vote to Art Zoyd's "Bruit, Silence - Bruit, Repos".  Art Zoyd is one of my very favourite acts in PA, and the album it is off is what first got me into Art Zoyd.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 13:05
Some great albums in this list. Univers Zero gets my vote.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 13:19
Jack the Ripper by UZ and Leyla By Rahmann
Prolegomenes by Vortex and Birth by The Residents
Bruit, Silence - Bruit, Repos tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Anyway: To me La Faulx is merely a warm up to the real masterpiece that is Jack the Ripper - but the gorgeous Leila is no less wonderful. So that's my top two... Don't know which one to vote for. Yet. They are just so different from each other.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 13:37
Very good list, have to go with UZ
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 14:53
UZ
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 15:01
I support the underdog. This Heat! Not exactly head and shoulders above the others though.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 16:02
This is by far the best track from an album released in 1979:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 16:13
^ I knew you were going to mention that if you posted. 

Is  this really a big ask?

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Feel free to mention any others provided that you also post the same of a track from the list that you did vote for.

I meant name, not same.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 16:24
I voted for The Residents.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 16:57

^ I knew you were going to mention that if you posted. 

Is  this really a big ask?

Feel free to mention any others provided that you also post the same of a track from the list that you did vote for.

I meant name, not same.

"Fairy Tales" is way too little known and definitely deserves more attention. In my opinion the best prog album ever.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 17:25
^ I know and like it, and i know you love it.   You often mention it (or Jean, I do get you two confused).  I would hate to think that you would think that I haven't noticed.

As a suggestion, maybe create a topic dedicated to the album if you haven't already.  Maybe it didn't come through, but I was mostly going for certain kinds of moods in this poll (at first I was going to do strict instrumentals).  I think of these as little playlists that work together for me for some reason.

I'm happy enough when someone mentions something else that they think I or another might like based on any of the music in the poll, but I also make them because I want to discuss and see people's thoughts on the music that I come up with (a bit selfish, I guess).  "Best" discussions are better had in other people's topics.  

Sometimes when people just mention others, it feels like those people aren't interested in even considering what the OP is interested in, so it can seem invalidating and a bit arrogant at times.  Like "screw your selection, this is the best".  I don't do or try to do bests.  It's so subjective.

EDIT: I don't mind giving it some more exposure, though:

Review by BaldJean
PROG REVIEWER
5 stars This is one of the very best albums of all time and in my personal top three. Vocalist Gilli Smyth, she of the space whisper from Gong, tells three fairy tales, and the band supplies the necessary moods to these tales with their music. Everything about it is just right - the way Gilly Smyth tells the tales, the way the band follows every twist of the tales and makes the images appear before your eyes, and above all an almost supernatural Didier Malherbe on flutes and saxes. Whether he illustrates the tunes the Pied Piper plays on his flute (you would have followed him too!), imitates the sounds of rats, lets a frog croak, dogs bark, or sends Wassilissa flying over a landscape - he is always perfect. Not that the rest of the band are slouches, but Didier Malherbe just outshines them all. Oh, and this album is also the very best if you want to get your little kids interested in prog. It is the favorite album of our kids Dorothy and Alice (both age 5). Don't hesitate, buy it now!

0 social review comments  | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 11, 2006 | Review this album | Report (Review #69029)

Edited by Logan - October 06 2021 at 17:56
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 18:43
Rahmann gets my vote although there are several tracks here that I considered. That's a beast of a track though.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 19:41
I'm going to go with Rahmann, too.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 00:15
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

This is by far the best track from an album released in 1979:
The music in the background is excellent of course, and although I like Gilli Smyth's voice - That Mother Gong album is too talkative for me to ever feel like revisiting it. Too many words. Anyway, even if it does deserve more attention, is a poll featuring seven tracks by Art Zoyd, Henry Cow, Rahmann, The Residents, This Heat, Univers Zero and Vortex really the right context to bring it up? Most of these bands don't get all that much attention here either. Shouldn't this topic be about those seven, rarely mentioned slices of music?

I think you and/or Jean has got excellent taste, but it seems to me you've mentioned the excact same bands, artists and albums over and over for fifteen years. I mean, have you actually heard Leyla by Rahmann? If not, how about checking it out (and forgive me if you have)?
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 04:20
Didn't know the Rahmann, This Heat and Vortex tracks - nice listen! Beforehand I thought that I would choose the Univers Zero track, but it got stiff competition from Rahmann. Still, UZ it is...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 09:41
Thanks for the various responses and to those who took the time to check out music that they didn't already know.

By the way, Mother Gong I actually did consider, I wanted to keep the selections quite short (7 max), but to me it didn't work well for the playlist I had in mind and just wanted to give these albums some more attention (almost went with the first track from the Residents and the longest track of Vortex would have worked better for me for my conception, but I opted not to include it due to its length).  I did want some variety and contrast.

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I support the underdog. This Heat! Not exactly head and shoulders above the others though.

It's a very interesting track for the way tape loops were used. I may be off-base, but it reminds me of  things that were being done by various trip-hop and indie rock bands in the 90s such as Portishead.

Edited by Logan - October 07 2021 at 09:48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>