Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tour insurance. A novel approach

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tour insurance. A novel approach
    Posted: October 08 2021 at 14:59
Just as I was hearing the news about Genesis having to cancel the remainder of their tour owing to a band or tour member catching Mr Lurgy, then in pops an email from those wonderful chaps at Marillion.

They have, once again, come up with an extremely novel approach to the problem of tours being cancelled owing to Covid. Because the problem is that the government scheme only protects artists if a tour is cancelled owing to government shutdown (which is unlikely in UK at the moment), and no insurance company (yes, those money grabbing illegitimate children) will touch a tour with a twenty foot pole, so this is landing artists with an almost impossible situation. The band said that if the tour is cancelled after someone (anyone in the party) getting Covid, and they would have to cancel because the rules state that anyone in contact with an infected person has to self isolate, then they would lose £150,000.

So, they have asked fans to become their insurers. In return for a pledge, you get gifts and entry into a prize draw. Your money goes into an insurance fund, and if the tour goes ahead without interruption, then you get your money back, but get to keep your gift! Nifty, eh?

I have pledged tonight. Go to Marillion.com for details.

Marvellously innovative.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 01:19
Great idea! These guys have been at the forefront of crowdfunding for a while, so no surprise there. I do have to hand it to them for how innovative this idea is. I hope it works out for them.
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 08:05
Indeed, they have been innovative in terms of crowdfunding (various campaigns) and merchandise methinks. I thought it was quite something when they had the idea to release CDs of every concert in a tour, so one could play back the concert one might have attended. They have 116 live albums, according to RYM and 296 releases according to discogs. I have got the impression that they are quite business savvy people. Not sure how financially solvent they would be without crowdfunding and the like. I have got the impression that they have a relatively small fanbase (relative to Pink Floyd and the like ;) ), but quite a dedicated one. The Marillion army as I have seen it called.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 08:32
They definitely have a dedicated hard-core following. They've been able to run Marillion weekends for a number of years with good attendance. I have friends who've seen them dozens of times and travel abroad to see them.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 08:48
^ They'll never really make it, though, until they play a RIO event. ;) Unless they have (I couldn't imagine them signing on to the original manifesto, but I know little about their politics -- I would expect the following to be more on the Conservative side). Sadly, that ended, didn't it? At least the one in Carmaux.

It may be time for a RIO meets Neo event. Univers Zero playing with Marillion would be something to behold.

Edited by Logan - October 09 2021 at 08:51
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 08:57
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ They'll never really make it, though, until they play a RIO event. ;) Unless they have (I couldn't imagine them signing on to the original manifesto, but I know little about their politics -- I would expect the following to be more on the Conservative side). Sadly, that ended, didn't it? At least the one in Carmaux.

It may be time for a RIO meets Neo event. Univers Zero playing with Marillion would be something to behold.

Yeah, RIO is finished following government funding cuts (I think)

There's still Freakshow in Wurzburg Germany which is actually on this weekend. I'm hoping to get there next year.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - October 09 2021 at 08:58
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 09:09

^ They'll never really make it, though, until they play a RIO event. ;) Unless they have (I couldn't imagine them signing on to the original manifesto, but I know little about their politics -- I would expect the following to be more on the Conservative side.

Marillion in the early days, with Fish as vocalist and lyricist, were most definitely on the left wing of politics. He loathed Thatcher, warmongering, poverty, and many of his songs reflected that.

Hogarth is far more nuanced. Many Marillion tracks have bemoaned the lack of action on climate change. He wrote Gaza as a piece which cried out at the injustices in Palestine, but very cleverly in my opinion also included passages from the Israeli perspective. The last opus, FEAR, was most clearly an extended piece bemoaning the influence of the super rich on our country, politics, and economics.

I suspect that many fans such as I will be wise to the lies and nonsense perpetuated by many politicians, of all wings. What most of us would definite not be are Conservatives with the big C. With a small c, maybe, and the two are very different.

Edited by lazland - October 09 2021 at 09:10
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 10:22
Thanks Ian and Steve. I had known that Fish leaned left. And indeed, a small c conservative and a big C Conservative are two different things (even if there is ideological overlap). I should have said, on the more Conservative side, or should that be conservative side (it was in my my mind). I often identify as liberal-minded but not a Liberal. This is more in a traditional liberal sense which includes some people who identify as Conservatives. I find those easy left-right divides people make often rather silly. I have been called a Communist and a Neo-Con. Without upending this topic, and that is an interesting strategy, I'm quite conservative in many ways. I might have said more orthodox. My dad was very conservative when it came to music -- very much stuck in the classical music tradition, and very old school in many ways.

I have little time for the nonsense of politicians of all stripes, and as with many, have a general distrust of politicians. I appreciate those of different stripes who have a rational scepticism / value critical thinking.

Edited by Logan - October 09 2021 at 10:37
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 10:39

Thanks Ian and Steve. I had known that Fish leaned left. And indeed, a small c conservative and a big C Conservative are two different things (even if there is ideological overlap). I should have said, on the more Conservative side, or should that be conservative side (it was in my my mind). I often identify as liberal-minded but not a Liberal. This is more in a traditional liberal sense which includes some people who identify as Conservatives. I find those easy left-right divides people make often rather silly. I have been called a Communist and a Neo-Con. Without upending this topic, and that is an interesting strategy, I'm quite conservative in many ways. I might have said more orthodox. My dad was very conservative when it came to music -- very much stuck in the classical music tradition, and very old school in many ways.

I have little time for the nonsense of politicians of all stripes, and as with many, have a general distrust of politicians. I appreciate those of different stripes who have a rational scepticism / value critical thinking.

I could have written this in the first person, Greg. We have a very similar outlook.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2021 at 13:05
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I could have written this in the first person, Greg. We have a very similar outlook.

I think a big problem is that there is far too much idealism and not enough realism. But a lot of people don't want to hear realism, and that often won't get votes. Politicians commonly spin things for their own agenda.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 05:34
 An ingenious idea! Marillion could (and should) write a book on how to not only survive commercially in the present music age, but also to thrive. Granted, a dedicated fan base is essential to that endeavor, but there are lots of people who simply love their favorite bands, as many crowd funded albums have shown.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 05:40
Btw, there is a new album pre order campaign going on by the boys for "Hour Before It's Dark", which is in the mixing stage as we speak. Preorder at Marillion.com. 

Edited by SteveG - October 13 2021 at 07:52
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 06:35
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Btw, there is a new album pre order campaign going on by the boys for "Hour Before It's Dark", which is in the mixing stage as we speak. Per order at Mirillion.com.

Where?LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 06:51
^Thanks. Fixed.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 07:03
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Thanks. Fixed.

Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply