Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2004: Guapo vs Magma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: If you have a preference, which of these do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [56.00%]
11 [44.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2004: Guapo vs Magma
    Posted: October 08 2021 at 19:08
A very straight-forward and quite sensible methinks album poll, which of these two do you prefer? Much as I like both, Guapo for me.

Edited by Logan - October 08 2021 at 19:11
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 21:27
Guapo for me, but it’s really close.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 22:25
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Guapo for me, but it’s really close.

Super close for me as well, but I reach the same conclusion. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 02:35
Glad to see "the underdog" doing so well. Guapo for me too. Five Suns is a modern masterpiece while KA is an impressive comeback-album, but not among my Magma-favorites.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 03:08
Tight affair this - Guapo today but maybe Magma on another.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 04:04
Five Suns has a special place in my heart.  Hard choice but that's the way I go.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 06:29
Guapo!
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 07:03
Guapo for me, both outstanding but 5 Suns is top 5 this century for me.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 07:09
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Glad to see "the underdog" doing so well. Guapo for me too. Five Suns is a modern masterpiece while KA is an impressive comeback-album, but not among my Magma-favorites.

Same. I prefer Magma's follow-up, E-Re. 9 to 3 at this time, and every response so far (eight of them) favours Guapo. Magma's K.A. is the top rated album at PA for the year with 4.25 | 721 ratings, whereas Gaupos is at number 22 with 4.04 | 133 ratings. Number 23 for the year is another favourite of mine, Secret Chief 3's Book of Horizons.

I have noticed that people who vote for what might be seen as the underdog (or lesser known) are more likely to post what they chose (and add something about their selection), and this is not really surprising. People who vote and know (have heard) both are also more likely to post.

Edited by Logan - October 09 2021 at 07:24
rik wilson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 13:21
Guapo and Elephant9 are sublime.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 15:18
So the magma copy is better than magma? Um no
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 16:00
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Not sure anyone but you said better, but if I did consider that to be a Magma copy (and I think there's a Univers Zero and other influences there too) then I might say that it's doing a better job at copying Magma than Magma was with K.A.

I do hear Köhntarkösz in Five Suns. I like K.A, but one of my complaints with K.A was that it sounded rather Magma-by-numbers to me (and rather Prog by numbers in its way). If Magma had put out 5 Suns, I would not have called it Magma-by-numbers despite hearing the Magma in it.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 19:51
Easy choice for me as KA just never resonated with me. Five Suns on the other hand is incredible with the mellotron and bass just killing it.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 03:44

srsly?
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 08:38
Good matchup. Gotta go with Magma though.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 09:30
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Not sure anyone but you said better, but if I did consider that to be a Magma copy (and I think there's a Univers Zero and other influences there too) then I might say that it's doing a better job at copying Magma than Magma was with K.A.

I do hear Köhntarkösz in Five Suns. I like K.A, but one of my complaints with K.A was that it sounded rather Magma-by-numbers to me (and rather Prog by numbers in its way). If Magma had put out 5 Suns, I would not have called it Magma-by-numbers despite hearing the Magma in it.

I agree with this. I've never even thought of Magma when I've spun Five Suns. Ever! Anekdoten and Univers Zero for sure though.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 10:49
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I agree with this. I've never even thought of Magma when I've spun Five Suns. Ever! Anekdoten and Univers Zero for sure though.
Yeah this so called dr prog is either mistaken Guapo for another band - or stripped of his or her doctoral title
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 11:34
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Yeah this so called dr prog is either mistaken Guapo for another band - or stripped of his or her doctoral title<span><span ="rendered_text"></span></span>

I hear King Crimson in the mix too, but different people make different associations. It is surely reminiscent in part to me of Köhntarkösz and with bass work it has a similar vibe in part, but I have said various times that various music reminds me of Köhntarkösz. Its one of those reference points my brain has associated music with a considerable amount. A Magma clone, though? Maybe dr prog prefers Black Oni and Elixirs from Guapo. Hopefully he will chime in on this discussion soon because I really am interested to hear his more detailed thoughts on this.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 11:57
nice poll!! voted Gaupo!!
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2021 at 09:58
Love the Guapo, but had to vote for K.A. even if it isn't primo Magma.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>