Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Focus - Hocus Pocus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Do you prefer the studion version or this live version?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [25.00%]
8 [28.57%]
12 [42.86%]
1 [3.57%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Focus - Hocus Pocus
    Posted: October 10 2021 at 10:23
a simple question: which version do you prefer? as an explanation: the band was only given 4 minutes of time to play their 6:38 long song, so they had to significantly speed it up.

studio version:

live version:

I prefer the live version, by the way. seeing the band shredding and Thijs van Leer doing his thing is just so entertaining

Edited by BaldJean - October 10 2021 at 10:38

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 10:51
Having seen Focus live , I can attest to their impeccable talent. It was very humid that night and there was at one point radio interference during a long stretch of instrumental folly (Anonymous I believe) , but funnily (or maybe a ghost), the radio was playing classical music. To which van Leer briefly stated: two for one ! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 11:06
I like the version on their first live album
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 11:11
I can't remember if this was the version that I saw when I saw them for the first time. It was definitely one of those late night concert shows, but of course, shown here in Canada. May have been Don Kirshner's Rock Concert (if they ever did that show).

But it certainly grabbed my attention. Picked up Moving Waves as soon as I could find it.
I do like the studio version, but live just rips it up. Kind of what ended up happening to ELP's Hoedown. No need to slow down the Hoedown.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 11:18
Both versions are great.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 11:22
No real preference, but I won't say I like both equally, I like both differently would better express my feelings. It is not a Focus favourite of mine, however. And for a rather comparable one, I prefer Harem Scarem.

I heard a radio host on classic rock radio (a Vancouver station) calling Focus a one-hit wonder for Hocus Pocus. I'm sure that Sylvia was a hit song. EDIT: Mind you, I know it was the same station and may have been the same host who also called Geddy Lee the most handsome man in rock. Second most handsome maybe....

Edited by Logan - October 10 2021 at 11:45
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 12:02
Midnight Special one is delicious nuts.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 12:24
I'm spellbound by the live version. Was that Marilyn McCoo from the 5th Dimension in the intro?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 12:29
The guitar is far better on the studio version.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 12:33
I actually prefer the studio version, as that is the song I heard thousands of times on Chicago AM radio!!  Jan's solo on that song is amazing! 

The live version posted is pretty nuts, I like the energy they put into it!  Jan shows his improve skills nicely.  

p.s. I saw Focus in concert March 24, 1973 in Chicago, with Hookfoot (Caleb Quaye's band) and Foghat!  A great night of music! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 12:51
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm spellbound by the live version. Was that Marilyn McCoo from the 5th Dimension in the intro?

it was Gladys Knight

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 13:26
The studio version is perfect for me. I'm not fond of the rushed playing on the live versions.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 13:36
i love the og studio recording
but the fast version is another level
so i voted: "both"
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 14:53
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

i love the og studio recording
but the fast version is another level
so i voted: "both"

I did something similar. Thijs van Leer's performance is at least very entertaining indeed LOL.

I have known and loved another version (Live at the Rainbow) since my teens. Here they take some more time. The quality of the image is rather poor, by the way:

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 16:23
Both equally
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 10:57
Wasn't it also performed on ABC's In Concert?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 11:15
Found it! They played twice on In Concert. One performance was on Show 9 (April 13, 1973) playing only Hocus Pocus. The other was show 43 (Aug. 2, 1974) where they played Hocus Pocus and Birth.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 11:25
Hi,

I like the fact that short or not, it did not take anything away from the piece of music, and that is a testament to the quality of the band and their work.

Of all their work, it is "Eruption" and then "Hamburger Concerto" that I love the most ... but this one was fun to hear on the radio at the time, it sent people going ... whotf was that? How well I remember that line!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 11:30
The thing is, I love the live version as a different take on that song, but it works better given that the studio version exists. If only the studio version existed, I'd probably be happier than if only the live version existed, but given that both exist I can't choose, so voted both.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 11:55
both equally!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>