Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guess what famous guy has heard of Camel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guess what famous guy has heard of Camel
    Posted: October 13 2021 at 15:19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ 

Found out about this when reading about the band on Wikipedia and then reading an article on it. Do it. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 15:27
He's not famous! Lol.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 15:42
My wife and I went to see Rick Astley at the Liverpool Echo Arena a couple of years ago. (for her, not me). He was actually quite good though and spoke about music that he had liked, and influenced him, over the years. The next song he sang, he had album covers coming up behind him in rotation on a large screen. The 2 I recall were Camel - Mirage and Rush - Hemispheres.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 15:42
Ooops, I’ve just been rick-rolled! LOL
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 15:44
I’ve heard interviews with him and he is definitely a prog fan. Quite sensibly he avoided playing it in order to get signed and have a career.
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 15:48
That is sad that Rick had to make such a stupid mega hit, while if there was no record deal pressure, Rick Astley could have made something like Camel. 
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 15:54
Why? There was no opportunity to have a career in prog in the late eighties. If he wanted a career in music he took the best option.

I’ve recently started playing keys in a function band, and we play music I would have turned my nose up at in the past. Now I’m really enjoying it and even getting to like some of it. Just because you’re a prog fan doesn’t mean other music is crap, or you can’t enjoy playing it. Nothing wrong with Never gonna give you up!

Just ask Nick Beggs. Now a bona fide prog master, but started off in Kajagoogoo. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2021 at 17:44
Just because I say the one song sucks does not mean I hate pop music. There is still good pop music to go around like most stuff Michael Jackson does, the Beatles, and also Led Zeppelin. Oh yeah and prog in the late 80s. 

Marillion man. Marillion is a thing! Yes its neo progressive, but you can still call it prog rock. You have been rickrolled Timbo. Clap
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 03:37
Yes I’ve been rick-rolled.
I don’t like the song much either, but it gave Rick an opportunity, and few of us get that in the music biz.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 05:29
ClapCongrats you are now a senior

Clap
Clap
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 06:28
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

My wife and I went to see Rick Astley at the Liverpool Echo Arena a couple of years ago. (for her, not me). He was actually quite good though and spoke about music that he had liked, and influenced him, over the years. The next song he sang, he had album covers coming up behind him in rotation on a large screen. The 2 I recall were Camel - Mirage and Rush - Hemispheres.

My wife's a Rick Astley fan - she'll be gutted at this news!WinkLOL

I have to say I'm quite surprised.

Anyway, surely you all agree that NGGYU is one of 1987's very finest Stock Aitken and Waterman-produced UK number 1 singles?LOL
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 06:46
Did you know Rick Astley would lend you any of his Disney DVDs except one?

He's never gonna give you Up.

(I'm here all week)
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 06:55
chopper, did you make that joke up yourself? Wink I'll try to remember it for a Christmas cracker joke. LOL
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 07:04
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

chopper, did you make that joke up yourself? Wink I'll try to remember it for a Christmas cracker joke. LOL

Sadly no, I can't claim that one. I can't remember where I first heard it but it's been around for a few years now.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2021 at 09:26
Apparently he was really big in England and Europe but is really only known for one big song(never gonna give you up) here in the US(maybe two). That's why I said he's not famous. In the US he's mostly known as a one hit wonder. David Essex is another one who was big in the UK but is only known for one big hit in the US(rock on). 

As far as his career choice. Well, maybe he was just more of a pop guy to begin with. It's true in the 80's it was tough to make a living out of prog so in hindsight he probably made the right decision. 

Howard Jones(while more in the synth pop direction and not in the same category as Astley)actually was in a prog band in the 70's apparently(probably didn't get very far and I don't even knew their name) so there are other examples of pop musicians who had a familiarity with or some involvement with prog who chose not to go in that direction(for whatever reason).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 14 2021 at 09:29
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2021 at 06:17
Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

That is sad that Rick had to make such a stupid mega hit, while if there was no record deal pressure, Rick Astley could have made something like Camel. 

I think I'd rather be Rickrolled than Camelrolled, although I may have rolled a few Camels when I was still a smoker.

Had Rick Astley got started earlier in the 80s (I think he would have been about 16 at that time) maybe he could have come out with something like Camel's No Easy Answer.

That song might have some internet meme and culture potential. Like when you ask someone a question on the internet, or you are asking for some help with homework, and someone responds, "This video should help explain it" and a link to "No Easy Answer" is stealthily provided. You click on it and you're all like, "Oh no, I've been Camelrolled again" and break down weeping. You weep partially due to your gullibility, but mostly over the futility of it all.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2021 at 06:27
Obviously one can be fan of very different styles of music, particularly be fan of one style and produce a totally different style. Nothing wrong with that, even if one of the styles is soft pop.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2021 at 06:36
According to Wikipedia his big passion is soul, however "he co-wrote "Mission Statement", a track for former Marillion singer Fish's 1999 solo album Raingods with Zippos"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2021 at 06:57
Maybe he could collaborate with Camel and Fish for an album called Rick Astley's Raindances with Fish and Camels.

By the way, if any have somehow escaped the phenomenon of rickrolling (the youtube link in the OP is to "Never Gonna Give You up"):

"Rickrolling, alternatively Rick-rolling or Rickroll, is a prank and an Internet meme involving an unexpected appearance of the music video for the 1987 song "Never Gonna Give You Up," performed by the English singer Rick Astley. The meme is a type of bait and switch using a disguised hyperlink that leads to the music video. When victims click on a seemingly unrelated link, the site with the music video loads instead of what was expected, and in doing so they are said to have been "Rickrolled". The meme has also extended to using the song's lyrics in unexpected places" (Wikipedia).

See HERE (CLICK) for a better explanation of this sort of cultural phenomenon.

Rather than a Rick-roll or a Camel-roll, I'd quite like a The Residents Eskimo-roll (fellow kayakers will know what I am talking about).

Edited by Logan - October 15 2021 at 07:01
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2021 at 07:54
Rick's a good sport..getting up on stage with The Foo Fighters, and to hear that he digs some prog is cool. Always thought he was quite a good singer. Mostly awful music though.

Better singer than Andy Latimer
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>