Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guess what famous guy has heard of Camel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2021 at 20:36
Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

That is sad that Rick had to make such a stupid mega hit, while if there was no record deal pressure, Rick Astley could have made something like Camel. 

Lyrics for Rick Astley prog song
Never (10 minute instrumental breakdown)
Gonna (7 1/2 minute jazz section)
Give (5 minute keyboard solo)
You (12 minute sax section)
Up (20 minutes of random animal noises)
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2021 at 20:41
But honestly, who could honestly say that Camel isn’t one of the greatest bands ever, their bassists name is literally Colin Bass 😂
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 00:44
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

He's not famous! Lol.

Rick Astley? Not famous? I'm sorry, which edition of the internet have you been using for the past decade or so? LOL
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 07:37
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

He's not famous! Lol.

Rick Astley? Not famous? I'm sorry, which edition of the internet have you been using for the past decade or so? LOL

How many editions are there? Confused

In the US at least I would not consider him a household name. Until this thread, I haven't heard him mentioned in quite a long time.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 17 2021 at 07:38
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 09:06

He's not famous! Lol.

In the US at least I would not consider him a household name. Until this thread, I haven't heard him mentioned in quite a long time.

The world is not the United States.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2021 at 02:40
Rick has got an amazing Baritone voice, shame it was wasted on Stock Aitken Waterbracket shyte
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 05:19

He's not famous! Lol.

There are kids today, here in the U.S., who know Astley because of the whole Rickroll thing. When you combine that with everyone who remembers him from when he was relevant you'll realize that he's much more known here than you think. 

Edited by Jeffro - October 25 2021 at 05:20
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 16:04
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

He's not famous! Lol.

The world is not the United States.

Yes, but that's where I live and so that's what I go by. Ya dig?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 16:05
^ You just are wrong. Rick Astley is a famous singer. Dig it?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 16:34

^ You just are wrong. Rick Astley is a famous singer. Dig it?

Nope. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 16:38
^ I'm thankful to have acquaintances with some reasonable and fair Americans (not including you).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 16:39

^ I'm thankful to have acquaintances with some reasonable and fair Americans (not including you).

LOL Nice burn. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 16:42
^ Now you're good at "handling difficult forum members". (I, for one, am one of them.) WinkLOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 16:44

^ Now you're good at "handling difficult forum members". (I, for one, am one of them.) WinkLOL

Now that's something we can agree on. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 03 2021 at 15:21
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 17:40
Im From Argentina and Rick Astley Rolled Upon Us, i saw a few weeks ago Rick Astley performing songs of The Smith and it was cool
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 11:47
The hell he isn't famous. His Never Gonna Give You Up video reached 1 billion views this year on YouTube. The song, his debut single, reached Number 1 in 25 countries. By 1993, he'd sold approximately 40 million records worldwide. He can be currently heard on a T-Mobile ad. And now it's stated that the guy's a Camel fan. I'd say he's alright!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 12:58
Well if he is famous then he's definitely a lot more famous in the UK and Europe than he is in the US. That's for sure. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 13:12
^ Semantics entry level lesson: Michael Jackson is more famous than Prince. This doesn't mean Prince "isn't" famous.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 13:50

^ Semantics entry level lesson: Michael Jackson is more famous than Prince. This doesn't mean Prince "isn't" famous.

LOL

They are also both dead so I would use the past tense as opposed to the present tense with them. 

Anyway, imo, you would have to say Belinda Carlisle, Debbie Gibson and Cyndi Lauper are all famous too. :P I suppose we all have different ideas of what fame is and it's kind of subjective. Most young kids probably haven't heard of Yes so does that mean Yes isn't famous? I personally wouldn't say many people that others consider famous to be famous but maybe it's more of not my cup of tea or not on my radar. I haven't seen anyone wearing Rick Astley t shirts or heard or seen much of him mentioned(other than one song on a tv commercial)for over 25 years so..... Let me just say that when I think of someone famous RA probably isn't even one of the first 100 people to pop up in my head(if at all). 

Since you love to argue so much I'll let you get the last word in. I'm done with this discussion though. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 03 2021 at 15:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 14:14
^ OK, I'll not give you another lesson. You need one though, about the notions of subjectivity and objectivity.

Since you like to fortify your FALSE argument with gibberish, I'll let you go this time. The easier way is to accept you're wrong. I don't like arguing. Your nonsensical attitude calls for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>