Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sylvan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedi57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sylvan
    Posted: October 15 2021 at 19:09
Just got sylvan one 2 zero on record. Amazing album in mu point of view. Would like to hear others points of view on said album
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2021 at 22:57
I gave it 1 listen, so I'm not the greatest judge here.

I've found Sylvan's releases since Posthumous Silence to be plodding in pace. There are certainly good ideas in there, but everything seems kind of bland if it's midtempo throughout the album.

Anyway, just my two cents and I'm sure you'll find songs or passages that are an exception to this.
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 15:47
Like a rich French pastry and sauce. 
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 23:56
I don't have the new album yet but based on the other Sylvan albums I have I just wish they would condense the material down to about 40-60 minutes of music instead of their usual form of 70-120 minutes of music which is too much padding. They're still a good band though and I understand the criticism of plodding.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2021 at 01:28
Originally posted by Dedi57 Dedi57 wrote:

Just got sylvan one 2 zero on record. Amazing album in mu point of view. Would like to hear others points of view on said album

Welcome to PA by the way! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2021 at 08:10
Good record. Perhaps their best to date...
The Prog Corner
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 06:23
Originally posted by Tasartir Tasartir wrote:

I gave it 1 listen, so I'm not the greatest judge here.

I've found Sylvan's releases since Posthumous Silence to be plodding in pace. There are certainly good ideas in there, but everything seems kind of bland if it's midtempo throughout the album.

Anyway, just my two cents and I'm sure you'll find songs or passages that are an exception to this.

Good point. That's probably why I don't return to their albums much--despite the fact that I rather enjoy them while I'm listening. 

I think Marco Glühmann is the best male prog vocalist of the 21st Century and they do create great music. It just sometimes gets to feel ... a bit monotonous--especially over 60-70+ minutes at a time.

Edited by BrufordFreak - October 19 2021 at 06:24
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 06:39
Is this the same Sylvan as Ned Sylvan who featured on some of Steve Hackett's live albums?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 06:44
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Is this the same Sylvan as Ned Sylvan who featured on some of Steve Hackett's live albums?

Nobody was talking about any Ned Sylvan before you came along. 

Sylvan is a German prog band. They've been around since late 90s. They are labeled as neo-prog but if you ask me they don't sound neo-prog on the last three albums. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 06:46
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Sylvan is a German prog band. They've been around since late 90s. They are labeled as neo-prog but if you ask me they don't sound neo-prog on the last three albums. 
Okay, thanks for clearing up the confusion in my addled brain. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 06:48

you could have easily googled 'Sylvan" and see what's it all about. Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 06:53

Yes, that's perfectly true, but it's more fun finding out information from my learned proggy friends, including you. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 07:07

Yes, that's perfectly true, but it's more fun finding out information from my learned proggy friends, including you. Smile
Here's another fact for you then - he's called Nad Sylvan not Ned. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 10:32
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Here's another fact for you then - he's called Nad Sylvan not Ned. Smile
Thanks! Embarrassed
winebranch View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winebranch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2021 at 12:53
Yes, this newest is quite good in my opinion. Back in the mid-10's I was rather a fan of Sylvan, I always thought their output was suitably emotional and melodic, though occasionally hard-edged too.

Back then my favourite Sylvan albums were maybe Artificial Paradise (2003), the darker X-rayed (2004) and the lighter Presets (2007). Some have argued Sceneries (2012) was their best to date, but I have preferred this new one to that.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 14:13
Sylvan imho are an incredibly awesome band
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply