Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hawkwind 1980-1989

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite Hawkwind album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
11 [55.00%]
1 [5.00%]
1 [5.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.00%]
2 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [10.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkwind 1980-1989
    Posted: October 17 2021 at 06:56
Part 2 of 5 with live albums included.

4 stars 1982: Hawkwind - Coded Languages: Live at Hammersmith - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvGxWcudZ5ankJNKGAyey6y
4 stars 1984: Hawkwind - Night of the Hawks, Gaumont Theatre, Ipswich - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LsEoIW3BetCKRN-aSDLT9CP
4 stars 1984: Hawkwind - This is Hawkwind, Do Not Panic - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LsZMlq2c7Udf6z6wfN4cbnE
4 stars 1985: Hawkwind - The Chronicle of the Black Sword - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvZ1J_Yr7bgxri9k4ql0W-8
4 stars 1985: Hawkwind - Live at Hammersmith Odeon - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lue9guIblGAXrSeGtmoADya
2 stars 1985: Hawkwind - Bring Me the Head of Yuri Gagarin - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvIjxuLzbJ2k_BkRQiRhmLr
4 stars 1986: Hawkwind - Chaos: Live at Guild Hall, Preston - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LtUlU905fuYnIrnKFqj04-4
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 07:11
"Bring Me the Head of Yuri Gagarin" is not officially acknowledged by the band and should be removed from the archives.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 07:18
I personally like Hawkwind a lot, so it’s hard for me to choose a favorite album. I’m voting for Space Ritual 2, only for what it means to me.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 07:20
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

"Bring Me the Head of Yuri Gagarin" is not officially acknowledged by the band and should be removed from the archives.

It's probably one of Hawkwind's worst live albums - with poor sound quality - so I doubt if anyone would miss the album if it wasn't here. I'd be even more surprised if anyone votes for it. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 07:23
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I personally like Hawkwind a lot, so it’s hard for me to choose a favorite album. I’m voting for Space Ritual 2, only for what it means to me.

There are no 5-star albums for me in this poll (which makes a nice change) but Coded Languages: Live at Hammersmith (1982) just about has the edge over the studio albums. 
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 08:05
The Xenon Codex , for me...The rest....okay
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 08:08
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

The Xenon Codex , for me...The rest....okay

I only have three albums by Hawkwind and The Xenon Codex is one of them. Thumbs Up
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 08:21
Live 79 and Levitation are where the voyage started for me in my mid teenage years.. i worked at a venue where they played on the Levitation tour.. Ginger Baker's f**ing terrier bit me and he threw a drumstick at my head (which i did have still kicking about somewhere.. mind you i probably would have thrown a drumstick at my teenage self's head.. or worse..).. I ended up helping the catering company instead to stay out of the way!
I saw them at a few local, small outdoor gigs in the West at that time too which was great and also their headline set at Glastonbury 81.. I have a soft spot for the 'Sonic Attack' lp and "Chronicles of the black sword'.. not so keen on the unofficial live bootlegs and the 70's stuff released by Dave Anderson on Demi Monde.

'Space Bandits' has to have a mention as Bridget Wishart was a great addition to the band with Simon House returning on Keys and Violin.. its a real shame that line up didnt write and record more lps

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 08:27
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

'Space Bandits' has to have a mention as Bridget Wishart was a great addition to the band with Simon House returning on Keys and Violin.. its a real shame that line up didnt write and record more lps

I agree, Space Bandits is stellar. Maybe Paul will make a '90s poll so we can vote for it. Big smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 08:28
The Chronicle of the Black Sword, with The Xenon Codex right behind it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 09:35
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I agree, Space Bandits is stellar. Maybe Paul will make a '90s poll so we can vote for it. Big smile
The 90's Hawkwind poll will be along sometime tomorrow. Wink
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 11:48
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Of course, it was in the start of the next decade! Duh, so sorry, another case of me not reading the OP properly!EmbarrassedLOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 12:02
Levitation has got off to a flying start, already rising well-above all the other albums in the poll. Smile
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 12:08
Levitation is my favorite of these, followed by The Xenon Codex.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 12:56
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Levitation has got off to a flying start, already rising well-above all the other albums in the poll. Smile

LOL
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2021 at 15:53
I'm a huge fan of Levitaton the rest not so much.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2021 at 03:46
Levitation is a quality album. It's consistently good throughout. Good songwriting, good musicianship. It gets my vote, despite my username.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2021 at 03:54
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Levitation is a quality album. It's consistently good throughout. Good songwriting, good musicianship. It gets my vote, despite my username.

It's funny, but I never associated your username with Hawkwind until just now. Smile
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2021 at 04:02
Not surprising about Levitation - I remember being excited about Tim Blake joining the line up in 79 (and then confused at Preston's Guildhall when 'Twink' appeared instead of him on the Levitation tour).  Things looked up again when Nik Turner rejoined but he didn't really contribute (or allowed to) to any of the albums here.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2021 at 04:34
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Not surprising about Levitation - I remember being excited about Tim Blake joining the line up in 79 (and then confused at Preston's Guildhall when 'Twink' appeared instead of him on the Levitation tour).  Things looked up again when Nik Turner rejoined but he didn't really contribute (or allowed to) to any of the albums here.

In  a bizarre twist, "Twink" is now known as Mohammed Abdullah after converting to Islam. Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>