Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

black midi - Webster Hall, Oct. 19th 2021

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: black midi - Webster Hall, Oct. 19th 2021
    Posted: October 20 2021 at 00:04
Much like BrufordFreak and other PAers, I was lucky enough to catch the by turns beautiful and crushing avant-adjacent rockers black midi live tonight, and have been moved to write about the thrilling experience.

A quick nod to the openers - mysterious blues/rockabilly group Orange Tree Boys* did a quick, fun little set to kick off the night, before an extended set from returning hometown heroes L'Rain. The latter's set was itself very enjoyable and mind-expanding, generally soft, pretty, and sprawling in contrast to BM's live style. They're worth checking out - and many clearly have, as singer Taja Cheek proudly announced that they sold out of copies of their new LP while on tour.

black midi came out to thunderous applause as the announcer declared them world champions and Sinatra's popular cover of the "Theme From New York, New York" played, before they played their own short version of the standard. They quickly turned to schlagenheim's "953" and "Speedway" to kick off the show in earnest before promptly abandoning their debut for the rest of their set.

In contrast to BF's opinion, I especially enjoy the fast, loud, mostly static style that BM provide live. I find it to be an exciting update to their indeed masterful studio dynamics, exhilarating in the combination of unbridled emotion, breakneck technicality, and sheer glee the band shows. I'm also something of a fan of the moshing that the group induced even though I'm not entirely built for it LOL+. There was only one proper reprieve from the sonic attack the whole show.  Also key to the night was Geordie Greep's charisma and sense of humo(u)r, joking about being hungry enough to devour a whole cow to get through the "50 more songs to go" and playfighting with keyboardist Seth Evans before being broken up by saxman Kaidi Akinnibi... "I'm a professional, I'll get through this show but after this I never want to see this man again Wink"

After finally live debuting "Hogwash and Balderdash" and tearing through the likes of "Chondromalacia Patella" and "John L" (or is the live version technically "Martin A"?) the show ended with my and the crowd's favorite "Slow", played as a frenzy that saw the band at apotheosis, Geordie screaming, and the pit at maximum intensity, with slam dancing and fans crowd surfing to rival Idles at Terminal 5 last weekend. It's been one hell of a night. Goes to 11/10

* They were clearly BM in thin disguise LMFAO LOL
+ Pit crew 4 life!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2021 at 04:53
Nice review, I saw them the night before in Boston, you pretty much nailed it. Would have liked to have heard Hogwash and Balderdash but otherwise sounds like the same set. The energy and charisma were pouring off the stage. Terrific show.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - October 20 2021 at 04:55
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2021 at 07:08
Nice review, Kelvin! I didn't really mean to infer that I didn't like the show, music, or band--I did! I was just disappointed (as I am often in live concert venues) with the sound quality--especially since the band's studio sound is so dynamic--with both soft/subtle and loud/careening musics well engineered. But, no: I LOVED the energy/enthusiasm of the band and the crowd. Plus, I kept shouting "I love ascending fourths" hoping to hear that wonderful song but thirst was never slaked (though they did do "Marlene Dietrich" in the #2 slot).
Loved the energy/antics between Sean and Geordie!--as well as the "cool" of Cameron--his two songs being the highlights (for me) of the night--especially the way he got the crowd amped up with "Near DT, MI".

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2021 at 10:53
Not the Lazland cup of tea music wise, but a fine review nonetheless.

It would be nice if we had a few more of these on the site.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2021 at 12:44
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Nice review, Kelvin! I didn't really mean to infer that I didn't like the show, music, or band--I did! I was just disappointed (as I am often in live concert venues) with the sound quality--especially since the band's studio sound is so dynamic--with both soft/subtle and loud/careening musics well engineered. But, no: I LOVED the energy/enthusiasm of the band and the crowd. Plus, I kept shouting "I love ascending fourths" hoping to hear that wonderful song but thirst was never slaked (though they did do "Marlene Dietrich" in the #2 slot).
Loved the energy/antics between Sean and Geordie!--as well as the "cool" of Cameron--his two songs being the highlights (for me) of the night--especially the way he got the crowd amped up with "Near DT, MI".

I didn't mean to imply that you disliked their live style - you made your approval clear in your wonderful review - just that its more my cup of tea than yours, and how it contrasts nicely with their LPs.

Edited by LearsFool - October 20 2021 at 20:20
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2021 at 13:16
Apparently we got 8 non-album tracks 

Welcome To Hell
Lumps
Sugar/ Tzu
Defence
Faster Amaranta
Still
Eat Men, Eat
27 Q
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2021 at 13:44
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Welcome To Hell
Lumps
Sugar/ Tzu
Defence
Faster Amaranta
Still
Eat Men, Eat
27 Q

Blimey! That sort of playlist is a real rarity these days 
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2021 at 15:24
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Welcome To Hell
Lumps
Sugar/ Tzu
Defence
Faster Amaranta
Still
Eat Men, Eat
27 Q

Yeah, my show subbed out "Amaranta" for "Hogwash", otherwise was the same as yours. Really exciting to get these (at least near as I can tell) new cuts, I can't wait to see how they evolve in the studio.
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2021 at 16:41
BRUH! I was just looking to see if they were coming near me and theyre coming to Austin (I live near San Antonio, so its only like an hour away), but the tickets are SOLD OUT Cry. And they were only 25$! Well, im glad you enjoyed the show, ill have to make sure not to miss them next time they come around. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply