Best Prog Albums: Last But Not Least

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Prog Albums: Last But Not Least
    Posted: November 04 2021 at 20:00
Many have said Bowie, and even though I have hardly heard any whole album from him (except Black Star), I have heard some compilations and live albums, and sort of checked out from which albums the songs come from and so on, and it wouldnl't surprise me one bit if Black Star ended being my favourite whole album from him (though there are indeed songs from other albums that I like better than any song on Black Star). As for other artists, I can hardly think of anyone whose last album would be my very favourite, but there are many whose last album has been very good indeed.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2021 at 10:20
Sadly a case of too many psychedelics.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2021 at 08:42
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Anathema - The Optimist

Wow!  This album was a great disappointment to me after the three that came before it....
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2021 at 03:50
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

How many instances can you think of where a band's last (or latest) album surprisingly turns out to be their "best" album?

Only one album immediately springs to mind, and that is Bowie’s Blackstar. I honestly can’t think of another off the top of my head. The next two to mind are Bowie’s contemporaries, Lou Reed and Iggy Pop - but while I love Lulu and Free, and would put them in my top five albums from those artists, they’re probably not my favourite album (which is how I assume “best” is meant to be taken, and why it is inverted commas).

Taking a quick glance through my CDs, I can add only four:

Anathema - The Optimist
The Jean-Paul Sartre Experience - Bleeding Star
22 - You Are Creating
3Ds - Strange News from the Angels

Well, I could add more if I included bands and artists with only one or two albums to their name, but that would seem to somewhat defeat the purpose of the exercise.

It would also be quite easy if I included what is presently the last album released by a band or artist, because in a lot of cases, the most recent album released is my favourite - but so long as the band is still active, chances are that it’s not really the last album.

Even if an album seems to have been the last released, there is really no way of knowing if the band or artist might decide to come back. I found half a dozen albums, for example, that would have been my favourite last albums, had the bands not come back with new material years afterwards.

Alice In Chains - “Tripod”
At the Drive In - Relationship of Command
Crowded House - Together Alone
Faith No More - Album of the Year
Screaming Trees - Dust
Soundgarden - Down on the Upside

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2021 at 03:11
I just tagged an album onto the end of my list at the top of Page 1 and you've already guessed which particular album that is without even looking. Tongue
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 06:13
Il Cherchio D'oro- Il Fuoco Sotto La Cenere
Frost* - Day And Age 
 L'Albero Del Veleno- Tale of a Dark Fate
IZZ- Don't Panic 
UneXpect- Fables of the Sleepless Empire
Nodo Gordiano- Sonnar
Pure Reason Revolution - Euphnea
La Maschera Di Cera- S.E.I.
Witchwood- Before the Winter
Far Corner- Risk
Obiymy Doschu- Son
Ellesmere- "Wyrd"
Diablo Swing Orchestra- Pasifisticuffs
Ciccada- Harvest

Edited by omphaloskepsis - October 25 2021 at 06:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 04:30
Originally posted by Deadwing Deadwing wrote:

Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Frost* - Day And Age
Pendragon - Love Over Fear
Airbag - A Day in the Beach
Lunatic Soul - Through Shaded Woods
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time (ops, not anymore lol)

You seriously think DoT beats all previous DT albums? Good grief.....

Definitely, the only DT album without the excess, with strong arrangements, melodies and solos, that I can listen to the end without getting tired

Fair enough. We all see and hear things so differently
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 14:46

Frost* - Day And Age

Definitely, the only DT album without the excess, with strong arrangements, melodies and solos, that I can listen to the end without getting tired
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 14:36
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Battles - Juice B Crypts

That's... original. I mean I gave it four stars so I like it, too, but I wouldn't have imagined that somebody would put this on top of their albums. I thought and think it's a tough one to digest... for those who are familiar with and like their sound as well as for newbies. Good for you that you got into it.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 14:24
Genesis - ...Calling All Stations...

"Stationed after a long string of mediocre albums going back to 1970, we shall never forgive your trespasses, this is where Genesis finally found its true calling. The debut was pretty good but it got bad fast, then came calling All Stations and the revelation is how relevant it become again. Sad the band didn't create more like this, but at least it ended on a high. In sum, it is a masterpiece that shines atop a stinking and steaming pile of manure that is Genesis' past." (I.N. Sane).

Yes - The Quest

"After a long, long epic quest to make a good album, finally Yes managed to make not just a decent album, but a most excellent one! It is unQUESTionably great, so say Yes to The Quest! (A. Luna Tickman).

Really, David Bowie's Blackstar is the one that fits the brief best for me that I can think of when it comes to long careers and many albums. I won't say that it's better than a classic such as Hunky Dory (better is commonly so subjective anyway), but to me it is a superb culmination of a career and an outstanding and very significant work and worthy of positive recognition.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 13:39

Frost* - Day And Age

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 13:38
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Stefan Renström was the main composer/brain behind the formation. Plus, his bass and piano playing was really unique and crucial to the sound. If they reform without him, it won't be the same band.

Still no idea who you're talking about...
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 11:37
Cardiacs - Guns
Landberk - Indian Summer
Sinkadus - Cirkus
Liquid Scarlet - II

Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 11:00
Frost* - Day And Age
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 09:40

^ I'll go along with that too - the last two It Bites albums were much better than the first two. Thumbs Up

What about the one in between?......

Personally I love all 5 of their studio albums and wish they'd made a lot more.  Great bandClap

3 stars 1986: It Bites - The Big Lad in the Windmill - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzDXggR52G0b6TRXgN2WP0Lu
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 09:36
Stefan Renström was the main composer/brain behind the formation. Plus, his bass and piano playing was really unique and crucial to the sound. If they reform without him, it won't be the same band.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 09:27
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Simon Says - Tardigrade is by far their best album. It's a pity the band broke up and due to Stefan Renström's death will never reform.

Eh?Confused
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 09:25
Simon Says - Tardigrade is by far their best album. It's a pity the band broke up and due to Stefan Renström's death will never reform.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 07:32

^ I'll go along with that too - the last two It Bites albums were much better than the first two. Thumbs Up

What about the one in between?......

Personally I love all 5 of their studio albums and wish they'd made a lot more.  Great bandClap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 07:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>