Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Prog Albums: Last But Not Least

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2021 at 08:13
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

^Yeah I noticed Bubblemath on your list. One of the greatest albums ever created though. And I see you listed Panzerballett! I can't remember, did you already know that one, or did I recommend them to you? I seem to remember mentioning them to someone recently on here. I was just listening to Tank Goodness. Great stuff.
Edit Peptide is killer. And what makes it better is that all the members have day jobs and make music as a hobby. How they surpass musicians who do it for a living is mind blowing.

I was introduced to Panzerballett here at PA. If it was you, much appreciated.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2021 at 11:15
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Mr. Bungle - California
It's too bad the re-recording og The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny from 2020 exist

I try to forget about that one... LOL
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2021 at 22:25
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

^Yeah I noticed Bubblemath on your list. One of the greatest albums ever created though. And I see you listed Panzerballett! I can't remember, did you already know that one, or did I recommend them to you? I seem to remember mentioning them to someone recently on here. I was just listening to Tank Goodness. Great stuff.
Edit Peptide is killer. And what makes it better is that all the members have day jobs and make music as a hobby. How they surpass musicians who do it for a living is mind blowing.

I was introduced to Panzerballett here at PA. If it was you, much appreciated.

It was a recent post I think. Maybe I'll find it. In any case, I was just listening to their X-Mas Death Jazz album. Awesome stuff. Also turns out I was listening to Breaking Brain, not Tank Goodness, but they're all good.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 01:39
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

David Bowie - Blackstar, certainly

Aphrodite's Child - 666 (their best album by a country mile)
Mansun - Kleptomania ( they had spilt up already and this was an after thought based on incomplete recordings. Still a beauty though)
The Nice - Elegy (another posthumous album but probably their best)
Frost* - Day And Age (my favourite album of this year , could well be the last if Jem Godfrey quits the music business due to health issues)
It Bites - The Tall Ships (an absolute gem)

and in a parallel universe
Rush - 2112 (they had taken the decision to quit before releasing the album but the fans had other ideas!)

I guess you've forgotten the last It Bites album then! And if it's passed you by, you need to rectify that (Map Of The Past)

done Thumbs Up
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 07:17
^ I'll go along with that too - the last two It Bites albums were much better than the first two. Thumbs Up
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 07:32
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ I'll go along with that too - the last two It Bites albums were much better than the first two. Thumbs Up

What about the one in between?......

Personally I love all 5 of their studio albums and wish they'd made a lot more.  Great bandClap
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 09:25
Simon Says - Tardigrade is by far their best album. It's a pity the band broke up and due to Stefan Renström's death will never reform.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 09:27
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Simon Says - Tardigrade is by far their best album. It's a pity the band broke up and due to Stefan Renström's death will never reform.

Eh?Confused
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 09:36
Stefan Renström was the main composer/brain behind the formation. Plus, his bass and piano playing was really unique and crucial to the sound. If they reform without him, it won't be the same band.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 09:40

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

What about the one in between?......

Personally I love all 5 of their studio albums and wish they'd made a lot more.  Great bandClap

3 stars 1986: It Bites - The Big Lad in the Windmill - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzDXggR52G0b6TRXgN2WP0Lu
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 11:00
Frost* - Day And Age
Pure Reason Revolution - Euphnea
Pendragon - Love Over Fear
Airbag - A Day in the Beach
Lunatic Soul - Through Shaded Woods
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time (ops, not anymore lol)
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 11:37
Cardiacs - Guns
Landberk - Indian Summer
Sinkadus - Cirkus
Liquid Scarlet - II

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 13:38
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Stefan Renström was the main composer/brain behind the formation. Plus, his bass and piano playing was really unique and crucial to the sound. If they reform without him, it won't be the same band.

Still no idea who you're talking about...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 13:39
Originally posted by Deadwing Deadwing wrote:

Frost* - Day And Age

You seriously think DoT beats all previous DT albums? Good grief.....
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 14:24
Genesis - ...Calling All Stations...

"Stationed after a long string of mediocre albums going back to 1970, we shall never forgive your trespasses, this is where Genesis finally found its true calling. The debut was pretty good but it got bad fast, then came calling All Stations and the revelation is how relevant it become again. Sad the band didn't create more like this, but at least it ended on a high. In sum, it is a masterpiece that shines atop a stinking and steaming pile of manure that is Genesis' past." (I.N. Sane).

Yes - The Quest

"After a long, long epic quest to make a good album, finally Yes managed to make not just a decent album, but a most excellent one! It is unQUESTionably great, so say Yes to The Quest! (A. Luna Tickman).

Really, David Bowie's Blackstar is the one that fits the brief best for me that I can think of when it comes to long careers and many albums. I won't say that it's better than a classic such as Hunky Dory (better is commonly so subjective anyway), but to me it is a superb culmination of a career and an outstanding and very significant work and worthy of positive recognition.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 14:36
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Battles - Juice B Crypts

That's... original. I mean I gave it four stars so I like it, too, but I wouldn't have imagined that somebody would put this on top of their albums. I thought and think it's a tough one to digest... for those who are familiar with and like their sound as well as for newbies. Good for you that you got into it.
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 14:46

Frost* - Day And Age

Definitely, the only DT album without the excess, with strong arrangements, melodies and solos, that I can listen to the end without getting tired
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 04:30

Frost* - Day And Age

Definitely, the only DT album without the excess, with strong arrangements, melodies and solos, that I can listen to the end without getting tired

Fair enough. We all see and hear things so differently
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 06:13
Il Cherchio D'oro- Il Fuoco Sotto La Cenere
Frost* - Day And Age 
 L'Albero Del Veleno- Tale of a Dark Fate
IZZ- Don't Panic 
UneXpect- Fables of the Sleepless Empire
Nodo Gordiano- Sonnar
La Maschera Di Cera- S.E.I.
Witchwood- Before the Winter
Far Corner- Risk
Obiymy Doschu- Son
Ellesmere- "Wyrd"
Diablo Swing Orchestra- Pasifisticuffs
Ciccada- Harvest

Edited by omphaloskepsis - October 25 2021 at 06:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2021 at 03:11
I just tagged an album onto the end of my list at the top of Page 1 and you've already guessed which particular album that is without even looking. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>