Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lowest Rated Album On This Site?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 00:15
Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

This probably doesn't meet the minimum number of ratings for the OPs criteria. But I just ran across this today.

1.14 | 11 ratings Let Me Know You

Man, he must return to forever after making this album. 

I really wonder what his thoughts are looking a this cover now. I'd like to know the story behind the pitch for the cover or if it was in fact his idea. 
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 01:01
The only reason that The Wall cover album is rated so low is because Doug Walker is a guy whom everybody loves to hate at the moment, similar to how Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas was the lowest rated film on IMDB for a while. I'm sure it sucks (I don't hate myself enough to waste my time on an album like that) but I'm also sure that there are many far more revolting things out there
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 01:31
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

The only reason that The Wall cover album is rated so low is because Doug Walker is a guy whom everybody loves to hate at the moment, similar to how Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas was the lowest rated film on IMDB for a while. I'm sure it sucks (I don't hate myself enough to waste my time on an album like that) but I'm also sure that there are many far more revolting things out there

Doug Walker's album is currently my least favorite album of all time, but I will admit that's more from personal bias. I was such a huge Channel Awesome/TGWTG fanboy growing up, so seeing their empire crumbling under such damning allegations and progressively worse videos was absolutely heartbreaking for me. And once I got to the Wall review, I was so jaded and irritated with his work at that point that I pretty much swore off Doug Walker's content forever. A few years later and that still hasn't changed; however, I do still watch former creators like Todd in the Shadows and Lindsay Ellis quite frequently. 

But yeah, the Wall cover album is horrendous in my opinion, and I massively dislike all of Doug's more recent reviews (at least the ones I've vaguely seen in passing, since there are so many other channels I could be spending my time with). 

Edited by Necrotica - October 23 2021 at 01:32
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 08:34
Somehow, I was under the impression that this guy may have topped the bottom of the list here at P/A:
Simon Railton
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4708

Edited by Cylli Kat (0fficial) - October 23 2021 at 08:35
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 08:46
Originally posted by Cylli Kat (0fficial) Cylli Kat (0fficial) wrote:

Somehow, I was under the impression that this guy may have topped the bottom of the list here at P/A:
Simon Railton

The first album has a rating of 1.27/14 ratings. Still not that many ratings. I think people just avoided this project and the second release got just 1 star rating from one user. 

The first album's cover looks familiar to me, I may have tried to give the album a listen at some point, long ago. LOL
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 08:54
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Simon Railton

The first album has a rating of 1.27/14 ratings. Still not that many ratings. I think people just avoided this project and the second release got just 1 star rating from one user. 

The first album's cover looks familiar to me, I may have tried to give the album a listen at some point, long ago. LOL

This one has only 14 ratings... but eight reviews. Eight!! That's something that even many albums with 100 ratings do not have.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 09:07
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Simon Railton

This one has only 14 ratings... but eight reviews. Eight!! That's something that even many albums with 100 ratings do not have.

oh yeah, my bad, forgot about the reviews. 
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 11:53
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=786

I'm surpised by how little and how poor For Absent Friends' ratings are.

I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 12:24
The lowest-rated album for me is Robert Wyatt's truly dreadful "The End of an Ear" - the only album I've ever given a 1-star rating to. Even Robert Wyatt himself has publicly disowned the album as an embarrassment and he doesn't include it in his discography. Thumbs Down
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 12:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The lowest-rated album for me is Robert Wyatt's truly dreadful "The End of an Ear" - the only album I've ever given a 1-star rating to. Even Robert Wyatt himself has publicly disowned the album as an embarrassment and he doesn't include it in his discography. Thumbs Down

I LOOOVE that album! He may have disowned it but i adopted it Wink

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 12:30

You misunderstood, again. The thread is not about which album you would rate low or the lowest, but what albums are rated very low on PA. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 12:41
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Robert Wyatt's awful "End of an Ear" album makes ELP's "Love Beach" look like a masterpiece by comparison. Tongue 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 12:46

Looks like the lowest rated prog album on RYM at the moment is

BLACK HOLE - Evil In The Dark

37 ratings with an average of 0.96

Well now, might hafta check it out!

Here's the title track. What do YOU think?

That is absolutely like The Shaggs gone metal.
Sounded like something was wrong with sound really. A real shame. I'm actually quite a fan of their 1985-debut... Very charming and amateurish doom metal/prog. Dark, charming and cozy.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 12:51

Robert Wyatt's awful "End of an Ear" album makes ELP's "Love Beach" look like a masterpiece by comparison. Tongue 

You know, i avoided End of an Ear for the longest time based on the ratings but when i finally checked it out i was quite surprised that it is one of the most creative and original albums of the entire 70s. It might be too weird for you or others but in terms of creativity, originality and progressiveness, it is a classic IMHO. As far as Love Beach goes there is no comparison. That album was a lifeless limp lump of recycled and watered down material that ushered ELP down the drain.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 12:53

Looks like the lowest rated prog album on RYM at the moment is

BLACK HOLE - Evil In The Dark

37 ratings with an average of 0.96

Well now, might hafta check it out!

Here's the title track. What do YOU think?

Hey, don't compare this to The Shaggs! Their first album has a quirky twee charm to it. This Black Hole is a production nightmare come true!
That is absolutely like The Shaggs gone metal.

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 15:20
Shub-Niggurath's Testament is the most poorly rated album from a well-respected band that I'm aware of (1.52 with 22 ratings).
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 16:13

Shub-Niggurath's Testament is the most poorly rated album from a well-respected band that I'm aware of (1.52 with 22 ratings).

I have the previous one, C'etalent de tres grands vents, it's pretty awful, so if that is worse, yikes.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 03:02
ELP's In the hot Seat got 1.78 419 ratings | 32 reviews
No surprise here... 
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 06:54
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I have the previous one, C'etalent de tres grands vents, it's pretty awful, so if that is worse, yikes.

I think that really this is a about a mismatch of expectations, in that they radically changed what they were doing - moving from the operatic doom-Zeuhl of the debut into what is basically free improv on the later records. If you pick those albums up expecting prog, or any kind of rock content, or indeed any recognisable musical structure, you're gonna be hella disappointed.  

FWIW I quite like both albums. They convey a certain mood and atmosphere of bleak existential emptiness (to me...). Can't say I spin them often, however.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 07:34

Originally posted by SuperMetro SuperMetro wrote:

This probably doesn't meet the minimum number of ratings for the OPs criteria. But I just ran across this today.

1.14 | 11 ratings Let Me Know You

Man, he must return to forever after making this album. 

I really wonder what his thoughts are looking a this cover now. I'd like to know the story behind the pitch for the cover or if it was in fact his idea. 

"Stanley, what we want here is for you to convey "the epitome of awkward embarrassment" in one painfully contrived pose. See, that way with a little luck the people who buy the album - let's call them "suckers" - may become so fixated on the awfulness of the cover art that they fail to notice how on this album we took your massive instrumental talents and deployed them into music of such all-numbing blandness that it makes Spyro Gyra sound like Iannis Xenakis. The transparent cranium...? Yeah, that used to belong to the mastering engineer. He had to listen through the tapes so many times that his brains dribbled out of his nose like liquidised mac and cheese. This is all that's left. Sad really, but we felt he'd like his sacrifice to be recognised somehow."

Edited by Mascodagama - October 28 2021 at 07:41
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>