Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peart Replaced? 3 shows

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnobvious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peart Replaced? 3 shows
    Posted: October 23 2021 at 07:30
If we can dream up stuff, why not this?

Alex and Geddy are feeling restless and decide they want to go out with one last bang.   They schedule 3 final shows over 3 weekends in Las Vegas at the new Raiders stadium.  This place is palatial.  https://www.raiders.com/photos/las-vegas-stadium-first-look-18686811

The question is, what currently working drummer could legit pull it off and would also nudge you to book a flight, get a room, gamble your face off and go to this show.  You are also asked to give them 5 songs for their playlist they have to play.  You can optionally list them in addition to your drummer.  Obvious choices would be Portnoy or Harrison and I would do this for either.  Anybody else?

Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 07:36
Hi,

I don't know ... I think I would go to Las Vegas to see family and the Raiders, but not sure I would want to see RUSH. The Cirque appears still closed, so, there really is nothing else in there worth spending money for/on!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 07:38
Despite his age I think Carl Palmer could pull it off. His CP ELP Legacy band shows he's still got it when it comes to the heavier stuff.
As for the 5 songs I really don't have an opinion on that.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 07:39
I think Rush deserve a break, Geddy was struggling with his vocals on the last tour anyway. 

If they ever want to play Rush songs again, I hope they will not do it under the Rush name though... 

Plenty of drummers around. I bet if Mike Portnoy got a call to fill in, he would pack up instantly. LOL
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 07:49
It will never happen, but Marco Minnemann or Virgil Donati could do it. BTW, Alex has recorded with Marco.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - October 23 2021 at 07:51
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 08:02
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Despite his age I think Carl Palmer could pull it off. His CP ELP Legacy band shows he's still got it when it comes to the heavier stuff.
As for the 5 songs I really don't have an opinion on that.

That's actually a good idea. And they would not call themselves Rush but Lifeson, Lee & Palmer and play 2112, Cygnus X-1, Cygnus X-1 Book II, La Villa Strangiato and YYZ. So, there you have it.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 08:12
I would choose Guilhem Meier. Let's breath some new life into Rush and add a bit of avant to it. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 09:51
I would suggest Marco Minnemann, though I know this will never happen.
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 10:33
How about Bill Bruford? He would do great.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 10:39
Wrong style of drummer I would think. Not that he couldn't play, but he's really more to the jazz end than the heavy end IMO.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 11:57
It won't ever happen under the Rush name. I do think Ged and Al would like to make more music together, but it's going to take them a while and they're going to be very careful about how they approach it, what they call it, how they advertise it. Neil's passing is still a sore subject, to fans and the band alike I imagine.

As far as who I would like to see do it... look I'm not expecting them to go out there and play some dream fever prog heavy setlist. They already did that with the second half of R40 anyway. They'd probably just want to play some new stuff and some hits. Not that you don't need a super talented drummer for even that, but it doesn't necessarily need to be a Portnoy or a Palmer, capable of nailing La Villa Strangiato no sweat. I do think they would look at Portnoy, from what I've heard he was friends with the band. They might also look at Taylor Hawkins or Chad Smith, also friends of the band, and great drummers in their own right. Chad put out a wonderful little tribute on YouTube for Neil's birthday back in September, and he played for Neil's Burnin' For Buddy gig.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 12:10
I'd like to see Lee and Lifeson do more of a jazz performance of Rush material --
Geddy Lee in full scat mode, flinging it out with aplomb, might be fun.

I think someone like Eric Harland could pull it off well and help them to come up with interesting re-interpretations and improvisations of Rush works:

And I would much rather someone who doesn't try to imitate Peart, but instead brings a very different style to the table.

Edited by Logan - October 23 2021 at 12:21
Just a fanboy passin' through.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 12:20
^It kills me when I hear that people want that kind of release since ELP caught such grief for even attempting such a thing. Now don't get me wrong, I'm one of those who like that sort of thing. The Steve Howe Trio is a good listen although miles from Yes or Asia. These prog gods all have hidden (well maybe not so much anymore) talents and loves of other genres of music than their own. I say, bring it on.

Oh, and if they did want to do a Jazz Rush album, then Bruford would be perfect for it.

Edited by JD - October 23 2021 at 12:21
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 12:30
^ What I think would be sad would be Lee and Lifeson without Peart pretending like they're still Rush. So to get a drummer who plays in the very same idiom as Peart, or worse sounds like him I would not respect. If doing the material, I think a very different approach and hopefully some new material would be good and maybe some original material of the drummer (if a general composer as well) they could perform. I wouldn't call it Rush. It's not something others might like, but it's what I would like.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 13:00
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ What I think would be sad would be Lee and Lifeson without Peart pretending like they're still Rush.
Rush has more class than that and would never do that. On the other hand the Rolling Stones have no problem carrying on without Charlie.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 14:44
Ugh....not Palmer, he said some negative stuff (don't remember what exactly) about Neil, not him. Marco has played with Alex, but I think Marco is too hyper. Maybe Gavin Harrison and for sure Portnoy but he would have to remain calm on stage and keep his ego in check.

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 15:30
I'd choose John Macaluso. Watched him live in Turkey once too. Amazing drummer. Very versatile too.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 15:56
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I'd choose John Macaluso. Watched him live in Turkey once too. Amazing drummer. Very versatile too.

great drummer, he was in the short lived progressive metal band Ark. His drumming on Burn the Sun is exceptional. 
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2021 at 16:15
^ Agreed. I watched him live with Yngwie Malmsteen. Actually Randy Coven and John Macaluso surpassed Malmsteen's performance that day! LOL The singer was Mark Boals, as far as I remember. He is also a legend.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2021 at 21:51
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Ugh....not Palmer, he said some negative stuff (don't remember what exactly) about Neil, not him. Marco has played with Alex, but I think Marco is too hyper. Maybe Gavin Harrison and for sure Portnoy but he would have to remain calm on stage and keep his ego in check.

If there's anything that would keep Portnoy's ego in check, it would have to be playing with his heroes. I imagine you put him in the same room as anyone from Rush, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, or a few other bands and he'd pretty much shut up and listen.

At least I'd like to imagine he would, lol.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>