Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peart Replaced? 3 shows

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 02:36
Rush aren't Rush without Peart IMO, but if I had to choose, I think Gavin Harrison would be an interesting addition for a one off tour project.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 05:08
Alex and Geddy have said repeatedly that there is no "Rush" without all three of them. Based on what I've read/heard from interviews, I'd say there is zero chance that they would ever recruit another drummer for a residency somewhere and then play Rush songs. Just don't see it happening.

I have some optimism that Alex and Geddy will get together at some point to make music. Geddy has alluded to that possibility. However, it won't be Rush. Who knows what it will be. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 05:11
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Ugh....not Palmer, he said some negative stuff (don't remember what exactly) about Neil, not him. Marco has played with Alex, but I think Marco is too hyper. Maybe Gavin Harrison and for sure Portnoy but he would have to remain calm on stage and keep his ego in check.

I heard that they're trying to get Ringo.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 08:17
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Alex and Geddy have said repeatedly that there is no "Rush" without all three of them. Based on what I've read/heard from interviews, I'd say there is zero chance that they would ever recruit another drummer for a residency somewhere and then play Rush songs. Just don't see it happening.

That's not really the point here, he did say "If we can dream up stuff, why not this?".
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 10:15
Queen's been touring for 25 years without Freddie Mercury, so anything's posible.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 10:25
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Queen's been touring for 25 years without Freddie Mercury, so anything's posible.

not exactly 25 years, it's not like they did it continuously. LOL
John Deacon said no to touring and became a recluse. It seems Freddie's death affected him the most. Cry

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 11:04
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

John Deacon said no to touring and became a recluse. It seems Freddie's death affected him the most. Cry

They sure as hell did it enough! Paul Rogers, George Michael and some new guy now that I've never heard of. Just because they don't release studio albums, that doesn't mean they didn't tour. If Freddie wasn't cremated, he'd be spinning in his grave.

Edited by SteveG - October 25 2021 at 11:06
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 11:09

They sure as hell did it enough! Paul Rogers, George Michael and some new guy now that I've never heard of. Just because they don't release studio albums, that doesn't mean they didn't tour.

They never toured with George Michael, they did a single if I remember right. 
There were a few years after Rodgers left and Lambert came in.
 What they are doing now is an abomination IMO... 

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 13:00
Some options I would find interesting:

Michael Shrieve
Cramine Appice
Ansley Dunbar
Terry Bozzio

None would sound like Peart, of course, but each would provide unique interpretations.
Geek
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 13:52
Rush will never be Rush without Peart, but if they want to play some more Rush and people want to listen, do whatever makes you happy. I have never seem them live and will not have a chance to watch them, but if I could, I’d take 2/3 Rush.

They sure as hell did it enough! Paul Rogers, George Michael and some new guy now that I've never heard of. Just because they don't release studio albums, that doesn't mean they didn't tour. If Freddie wasn't cremated, he'd be spinning in his grave.

Maybe he would’ve been thrilled to learn that their music was still out there. Everyone dies and at some point every member of every band is gone. Others picking it up is a way to keep the music out there in other formats. The good thing is that even if Freddie wouldn’t approve, the passed has no such option. If anyone is offended, it is fans on behalf of someone long dead.

Edited by Zeph - October 25 2021 at 13:56
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 14:12
Portnoy is the man for the job. Too bad it will never happen.
The Prog Corner
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 14:57
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Some options I would find interesting:

Michael Shrieve
Cramine Appice
Ansley Dunbar
Terry Bozzio

None would sound like Peart, of course, but each would provide unique interpretations.
Geek

Of those guys, only Bozzio could pull it off. I like Shrieve, but he has a lighter touch.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 14:58

Before I take this further off topic, let me just state that I'm incredibly biased here as Queen is my all time favorite band.

As is often cited but bears repeating, Freddie told them to do whatever they wanted with his legacy, just not to make it boring. All evidence says he would be happy that Roger and Brian are still out there playing their music to Queen fans around the world. Have you seen footage of Adam Lambert performing with them? He's the most humble guy they could've possibly gotten for the job. He does the songs justice and never, not even once, makes you feel like he's anything more than a very lucky fan helping Brian and Roger make the songs come back to life. Plus in the middle Brian goes out by himself and plays Love On My Life with a live recording and video of Freddie. It's magical. As for John, Freddie was the one who convinced him to write songs in the first place, as he was always the recluse of the group.  The four of them were as close as family, and everyone has to deal with grief and fame in their own way. John decided he was done, that he would rather live out the rest of his life in privacy.  That's not anything to pass judgement on, it's just what he felt he needed to do.  The story is different for Brian and Roger, they felt they needed to keep playing music. Neither is more commendable than the other.

And for the nitpicky folks out there, they've never once called Rodgers or Lambert members of Queen, hence the "Queen+" moniker for all the tours and the few albums.

Edited by Sacro_Porgo - October 25 2021 at 14:59
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 16:30
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Before I take this further off topic, let me just state that I'm incredibly biased here as Queen is my all time favorite band.

As is often cited but bears repeating, Freddie told them to do whatever they wanted with his legacy, just not to make it boring. All evidence says he would be happy that Roger and Brian are still out there playing their music to Queen fans around the world. Have you seen footage of Adam Lambert performing with them? He's the most humble guy they could've possibly gotten for the job. He does the songs justice and never, not even once, makes you feel like he's anything more than a very lucky fan helping Brian and Roger make the songs come back to life. Plus in the middle Brian goes out by himself and plays Love On My Life with a live recording and video of Freddie. It's magical. As for John, Freddie was the one who convinced him to write songs in the first place, as he was always the recluse of the group.  The four of them were as close as family, and everyone has to deal with grief and fame in their own way. John decided he was done, that he would rather live out the rest of his life in privacy.  That's not anything to pass judgement on, it's just what he felt he needed to do.  The story is different for Brian and Roger, they felt they needed to keep playing music. Neither is more commendable than the other.

And for the nitpicky folks out there, they've never once called Rodgers or Lambert members of Queen, hence the "Queen+" moniker for all the tours and the few albums.

Let me give you some advice I've learned from personal experience. Never underestimate the ego of a rock star, be he alive or dead.

Edited by SteveG - October 25 2021 at 16:32
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 18:08

Agree, I think Freddie would be fine with what Brian and Roger are doing today, considering Adam Lambert is gay, Freddie would be happy with that also. Shame that people don't know who Adam Lambert is, I think he is doing more than an admirable job as the lead singer. People should watch the Netflix "The Show Must Go On-Queen and Adam Lambert Story".
Only us prog folk have no clue, the rest of the music world does and seem to approve.

On topic, Rush will never tour again, it is done.....Geddy and Alex will make music for sure as Alex already has. Alex has no intention of touring either, he has stated it very recently. I think Geddy would tour but not sure in what formation and as Covid keeps rearing its ugly head, more time passes that I think even Geddy will shut down the chance of touring also.
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnobvious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 19:02
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

That's not really the point here, he did say "If we can dream up stuff, why not this?".

Exactly!  I'm sure there a thousands of scenarios we could all dream up that will never happen.  This one was meant to make you think about it and it could happen if that stars aligned. A lot of stars, of course.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 19:16
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Agree, I think Freddie would be fine with what Brian and Roger are doing today, considering Adam Lambert is gay, Freddie would be happy with that also. Shame that people don't know who Adam Lambert is, I think he is doing more than an admirable job as the lead singer. People should watch the Netflix "The Show Must Go On-Queen and Adam Lambert Story".
Only us prog folk have no clue, the rest of the music world does and seem to approve.

On topic, Rush will never tour again, it is done.....Geddy and Alex will make music for sure as Alex already has. Alex has no intention of touring either, he has stated it very recently. I think Geddy would tour but not sure in what formation and as Covid keeps rearing its ugly head, more time passes that I think even Geddy will shut down the chance of touring also.

Yep yep yep, totally every word!

Ooo, I haven't seen that special! I must check it out. I saw them in Nashville in 2018, and it was just magical, beyond special for me. The greatest concert I've seen barring maybe, maybe, R40.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 06:39
I think Gavin Harrison could easily fill the drummer's seat. He'd even provide some very interesting color and interpretations of his own that would make the music all the more interesting.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 23:57
No one's mentioned Nick DeVirgilio so I will . Technically well capable and has that bit of 'force' that is needed. I also think Phil Collins son Nic could do it haven seen him with Genesis recently.

The songs? pretty obviously

La Villa Strangiato
Cignus X1 (both books)
Xanadu
YYZ

lets make it a prog show!

TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 13:43
It would be great having Lifesson and Lee touring as a tribute to Peart playing Rush songs. Call it Rush or whatever you wanna call it.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>