Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gong Family Albums 1980-1989

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which is your favourite Gong album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [10.00%]
2 [20.00%]
5 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Gong Family Albums 1980-1989
    Posted: October 24 2021 at 01:32
Part 2 of 5 including live and archival albums.

4 stars 1980: Pierre Moerlen's Gong - Live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yihpTclrKxc
2 stars 1981: Mother Gong - Robot Woman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo6dWUukiqY
2 stars 1982: Mother Gong - Robot Woman 2
4 stars 1986: Pierre Moerlen's Gong - Breakthrough - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlF2k95ERpI
3 stars 1988: Pierre Moerlen's Gong - Second Wind - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE3FjwdHQWA
2 stars 1988: Mother Gong - Fish in the Sky - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qblYTnpn5Y
3 stars 1989: Mother Gong & Daevid Allen - The Owl and the Tree - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kTAnpfHdZ9KZRD0WQ931i3w8pwf2lQymQ

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 19 2022 at 05:41
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2021 at 01:38
Leave It Open
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2021 at 01:42
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Leave It Open

I was going to Leave It Open too, but then I decided to vote for Pierre Moerlen's Gong Live. Smile
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2021 at 02:20
Leave It Open for me as well. I haven't heard the live albums, and I've forgotten everything that happened in the other studio albums.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2021 at 02:25
I will admit, I've never listened to any Gong beyond the 70s. Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2021 at 02:47
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I will admit, I've never listened to any Gong beyond the 70s. Embarrassed

And I'll double down on your admittance, because I'd never listened to any Gong from ANY era up until three months ago. Embarrassed Embarrassed
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2021 at 05:41
The live albums are fine, although they of course take profit from older material. Also Pierre is one of my absolute favourite drummers and his version of Gong plays very original and enjoyable music, but unfortunately his drum solos are not the most exciting, he is much better together with a pile of mallets and a band. He shows what he can do and he can do a lot, but they are not composed in an attractive way; an OK feature of a live gig but not so convincing on an album, and be it a live album. I will vote for Second Wind, which is probably not that well known but has a very nice first proper PM Gong LP that I like quite a bit more than Leave It Open and Breakthrough... even though I probably wouldn't miss the drum only second LP much. 

Edited by Lewian - October 24 2021 at 05:42
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2021 at 07:02
Fish in the Sky.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2021 at 10:33
Tougher than you think - and the 80s were particularly unkind to the Gong family - but as ever, I default to first love in these situations when I can't decide.  I bought NY Gong when it came out - I saw it as a successor to Floating Anarchy and totally different to the Daevid solo albums of the late 70s.  Gongmaison was a belter too!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2021 at 11:21
Leave it Open, with Breakthrough not far behind.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2022 at 05:44
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Tougher than you think - and the 80s were particularly unkind to the Gong family - but as ever, I default to first love in these situations when I can't decide.  I bought NY Gong when it came out - I saw it as a successor to Floating Anarchy and totally different to the Daevid solo albums of the late 70s.  Gongmaison was a belter too!

Amazingly, I still haven't got around to buying a single Gong album, mainly because you never see them going for a song at charity shops and car boot sales. Smile
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2022 at 11:51
Robot Woman as i caught Mother Gong supporting Hawkwind quite a few times over the summer of 81, starting with Glastonbury 81, and they played the whole lp. I think they had Guy Evans from VDGG on drums then..

Also really liked the NY Gong (mini) album too

I'd be tempted to put Here & Now in this poll and they are part of the wider Gong family and their 1983 lp Fantasy shift and the follow up, Theatre, are great lps!!

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - November 21 2022 at 13:45

Post Reply Post Reply