Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Similarities between two songs in progressive rock
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Similarities between two songs in progressive rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Similarities between two songs in progressive rock
    Posted: October 25 2021 at 23:19
I apologise in advance if this topic has been done before, I am new to this site and have no way of knowing. I've just been discovering a lot of similar fragments between two different songs these last months and I would like to put together a list with you. I want to make it clear that this publication is not intended to accuse anyone of anything, just to put together similarities that may be funny or curious.

I'm going to start by relating the beginning of Grazie Davvero (PFM, 1972) with the beginning of Brain Damage (PF, 1973). The tempo is the same, the chord is a D with very similar variations, it is sung very similarly too and the Premiata song came out a year earlier.

I think it is possible that the British have been influenced here.

I invite you to continue this Big smile

Premiata Forneria Marconi - Storia di un Minuto (1972) Dark Side of the Moon | Pink floyd albums, Pink floyd art, Pink floyd dark  side

Edited by Argentinfonico - October 26 2021 at 00:14
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 23:28
One of the biggest ones I always remembered is Never Enough by Dream Theater, which sounds exactly like Stockholm Syndrome by Muse. Seriously, it's so similar that I'm surprised they never took legal action against Dream Theater
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2021 at 23:46
It might be worth reminding all that it is not a particularly good idea to post anything which might attract the professional attentions of Messrs Sue, Grabbit, and Runne……….
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 06:58
Hawkwind - Assault and Battery/The Golden Void

Roxy Music - In Every Dream Home a Heartache

Same chord sequence.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 07:07
Another Brick In the Wall x Voyage 34 (Porcupine Tree)
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 07:42
I want to talk about striking similarities between some bands...

Pagan's Mind is one of the most famous prog metal bands. Yet, "their" music already existed in Exises' album entitled Reternity.

Royal Hunt is also one of the most prominent prog metal bands. Just listen to the self-titled album of Twilight Project (1986).

You can find them both on Youtube.

Edited by Shadowyzard - October 26 2021 at 07:42
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 11:56
I am not surprised you have found these similarities. Music, like all things creative, is not produced in a vacuum. There are trends and conventions, even in our beloved Prog, that reflect the ideas and values of a particular time or style. There are also a limited number of ways to put the elements of music together. Every artists has a set of influences, established and contemporary. After listening to a lot of music over a long period of time, you start to notice similarities everywhere. For example, The Gates of Delirium by Yes and Red by King Crimson both use very similar riffs. Now, they use them differently for different effects but the similarity remains. Also, Trilogy by ELP, which came out in 1972, A Passion Play by Jethro Tull and Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd, both of which came out in 1973, begin with heartbeats. The main questions lie in how effective the music is and how it effects the listener. Ying Yang
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 12:14
The first bar of Purple Haze, 21st Century Schizoid Man and ELP's Barbarian.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 12:50
"Wonderous Stories" by Yes and "Don't Answer Me" by The Alan Parson's Project. Apparently I'm the only one who hears it though. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 26 2021 at 12:50
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 19:27
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

One of the biggest ones I always remembered is Never Enough by Dream Theater, which sounds exactly like Stockholm Syndrome by Muse. Seriously, it's so similar that I'm surprised they never took legal action against Dream Theater

I think Muse didn't care. Matt doesn't seem like the type to get into a lengthy legal battle when he could be studying conspiracy theories and eating mushrooms instead.

For what it's worth, I think Portnoy has openly acknowledged he was listening to a lot of Muse at the time, especially Absolution, and found them very inspiring.  I'm sure he was fully aware of the ideas he was "borrowing" for Never Enough.  Panic Attack has a pretty Musey flavor as well, albeit more in the vein of Hysteria (which is even mentioned in the lyrics!).
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 19:49
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I think Muse didn't care. Matt doesn't seem like the type to get into a lengthy legal battle when he could be studying conspiracy theories and eating mushrooms instead.

For what it's worth, I think Portnoy has openly acknowledged he was listening to a lot of Muse at the time, especially Absolution, and found them very inspiring.  I'm sure he was fully aware of the ideas he was "borrowing" for Never Enough.  Panic Attack has a pretty Musey flavor as well, albeit more in the vein of Hysteria (which is even mentioned in the lyrics!).
ye muse is chill like that. I saw them lve back in 2019, they were epic
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 21:02
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

They've been my third favorite band since like 2013 and I still haven't seen them live! Cry
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 23:43
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

The first bar of Purple Haze, 21st Century Schizoid Man and ELP's Barbarian.

When ELP played Barbarian at The Lyceum in 1970 , Emerson actually says 'This one's for Jimmy' Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 23:50

Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

They've been my third favorite band since like 2013 and I still haven't seen them live! Cry

I feel for you. I've seen them 3 times all in, twice on the Black Holes and Revelations tour and more recently at Bristol City's Ashton Gate ground when my nephew blagged us into the VIP area. I was only a yard away from the 'mosh pit'. That was near enough!

Muse have probably done their fair share of 'borrowing'. When I first heard them I thought they were a hyper energetic version of Radiohead. Didn't mind that at all lol.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 03:11
World of Adventures by Flower Kings uses the Fountain of Salmacis keyboard opening at 7:50. I just heard the album for the first time a few days ago and listened again today. Noticed it both times right away.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 04:59
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Muse have probably done their fair share of 'borrowing'. 

That's true - listen to "The Resistance" - there are bits of a number of other songs there (e.g. Billy Idol's "White Wedding" riff). I am a Muse fan btw.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 08:46
How about these two?

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 10:50
^ Yep, Mechanical Bride is clearly pretty heavily influenced by Schizoid.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 12:55
Another clear cut case of Schizoid Man revisited is Emerson Lake and Powell's "Touch And Go."

You can actually substitute the lyrics of KC in the ELP tune.

haha

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 13:31
Mechanical Bride is almost the same as 21st Century Schizoid Man! I consider it a tribute...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>