Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Similarities between two songs in progressive rock
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Similarities between two songs in progressive rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 17:36
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Muse have probably done their fair share of 'borrowing'. 

That's true - listen to "The Resistance" - there are bits of a number of other songs there (e.g. Billy Idol's "White Wedding" riff). I am a Muse fan btw.

Oh Muse are big time "borrowers," lol. I love them but I understand Matt doesn't compose all of those romantic era melodies and chord changes. Some yes, but others are directly ripped from old composers. Not to mention Uprising, which manages to sound like the Doctor Who theme and Call Me by Blondie all in one go. Love that song.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 18:38
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It might be worth reminding all that it is not a particularly good idea to post anything which might attract the professional attentions of Messrs Sue, Grabbit, and Runne……….

Or that other litigious trio: Dewey, Gettum & Howe...
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 23:48
Originally posted by Cylli Kat (0fficial) Cylli Kat (0fficial) wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It might be worth reminding all that it is not a particularly good idea to post anything which might attract the professional attentions of Messrs Sue, Grabbit, and Runne……….

Or that other litigious trio: Dewey, Gettum & Howe...

LOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 16:46
I was listening to Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence by Dream Theater today, and I noticed two things:

The Glass Prison directly quotes something off of King Crimson's Discipline album, wasn't sure which song off the top of my head.

The Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence suite has a very prominent theme which seems to be taken from the keyboard part of Hide In Your Shell by Supertramp. This seems actually super fitting considering the subject matter of both songs (and albums really). 

I was also listening to The Astonishing earlier, and Brother Can You Hear Me always reminds me of the midsection of Rush's Hemispheres, "I have memory and awareness, but I have no shape or form..."
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 18:14
I still remember listening for the first time Alcatraz' "Simple Headphone Mind" and going crazy trying to figure out who's song they copied or who was it that copied them. Took a while but it's Nucleus' "Torrid Zone" from 1970 while Simple Headphone Mind is from 1971. Same exact theme. Funny but I just spun Steve Grossman's "Haresah" which also has that vibe but is clearly different unlike what Alcatraz did.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2021 at 02:05
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

That's true - listen to "The Resistance" - there are bits of a number of other songs there (e.g. Billy Idol's "White Wedding" riff). I am a Muse fan btw.

Oh Muse are big time "borrowers," lol. I love them but I understand Matt doesn't compose all of those romantic era melodies and chord changes. Some yes, but others are directly ripped from old composers. Not to mention Uprising, which manages to sound like the Doctor Who theme and Call Me by Blondie all in one go. Love that song.

yep and he does like to throw in the odd bit of Rachmaninov, Elgar and Bach here and there when it suits him! Amazing musician.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2021 at 10:25
Hi,

I don't have an opinion on this, since the recording age (now 100 years old or so) has made it so easy for things to be compared, and it will be difficult to find a common ground, however, I think the FEELING on any of these is vastly different.

Some things are hard to explain. For example:

Dorian Scale corresponds to Raga Kafi
Phrygian Scale corresponds to Raga Bhairavi
Lydian Scale corresponds to Raga Yaman
Mixolydian Scale corresponds to Raga Khama
Aeolian Scale corresponds to Raga Asawari
Ionian Scale corresponds to Raga Bilaval

And these ragas have a history of over many hundred years of existence, and I keep thinking that we do not take into consideration that the likelihood is that something else will be similar, but I doubt that it will FEEL THE SAME. 

Personally, I don't look at music as anything but a visual context, thus the similarity in notes is not as important, or worse (in the past 50 years) how some things sound similar BECAUSE OF AN INSTRUMENT, and few people enjoy discussing the actual feeling perception behind it, other than the notes themselves!

It's just a thought ... I can not compare anything ... for example, Klaus Schulze has more in common with the very many Indian/Hindu ragas than any other music ... but we only look at it as electronic because of the instruments. It really is far more than just electronic music, but I am not sure that we are willing, or capable of seeing that.

Edited by moshkito - October 29 2021 at 10:26
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2021 at 17:18

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

yep and he does like to throw in the odd bit of Rachmaninov, Elgar and Bach here and there when it suits him! Amazing musician.

Is there another famous musician as skilled as Matt at both guitar and keys? And singing??
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2021 at 03:15
Well, you have these obvious ones:

and

Edited by suitkees - October 30 2021 at 08:54

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2021 at 03:15
And they returned the favour:

and

Edited by suitkees - October 30 2021 at 08:56

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2021 at 07:19
Hi,

Suitkees ... can you name the songs so we can see them? Over here in the West Coast it says the video is not available.

Thx
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2021 at 08:05
^ Oh, that's a pity...
The first pair is It's A Beautiful Day's Bombay Calling / Deep Purple's Child in Time
The second pair is Deep Purple's Wring That Neck / It's A Beautiful Day's Don and Dewey

EDIT: I edited my posts with other youtube sources, hoping it'll work now for everyone...

Edited by suitkees - October 30 2021 at 08:57

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12