Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Very Important Long Players (VILP) 1968

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Is your favorite important 1968-album here?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [3.70%]
4 [7.41%]
1 [1.85%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.85%]
0 [0.00%]
12 [22.22%]
3 [5.56%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.85%]
3 [5.56%]
4 [7.41%]
3 [5.56%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.85%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.85%]
1 [1.85%]
1 [1.85%]
2 [3.70%]
8 [14.81%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.56%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.56%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very Important Long Players (VILP) 1968
    Posted: October 28 2021 at 01:31
I think I got most of the 25 historically most relevant "progressive rock & related" albums of 1968 included here. Well actually this time I even included a few albums I'm not that crazy about - from Spirit, Procol Harum, Deep Purple and Jimi Hendrix (I don't dislike them either, as with The Nice:). All in all I think it's a real fun and eclectic mix of forward thinking, progressively minded bands and artists from a time when whatever we consider to be prog, had yet to calcify.

I could - or would like to have include: The Savage Rose - Savage Rose, The Incredible String Band - Wee Tam & The Big Huge, Ultimate Spinach - Behold & See, International Harvester - Sov gott Rose-Marie, The Pentangle - Sweet Child, Traffic - St mm.... and literally tons of psychrock/early fusion not represented in PA.

-There was no extra space left for "other", so you will have to write what other album you would vote for in the comment section:)

Btw: If you want to check out PA's Top Albums for 1968 you only get a top seven. What's up with that?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 01:33
Deep Purple - The Book of Taliesyn
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 02:30
Soft Machine's debut against heavy competition
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 02:32
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Soft Machine's debut against heavy competition

nice!
I did not see it in the poll initially EmbarrassedLOL
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 02:35
Tough call between Zappa and the Machine.

Will go the former. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 03:39
United States of America for me
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 07:10
I AM THE GOD OF HELL FIRE...AND I BRING YOU
FIRE!
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 07:12
I've never listened to a  The Crazy World of Arthur Brown full length album Embarrassed
Am I missing something? If so, where should I start? 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 07:54
I'm between Terry Riley and David Axelrod. Can't choose currently.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 07:55
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I've never listened to a  The Crazy World of Arthur Brown full length album Embarrassed
Me too, honestly
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 08:38

I like it! A genuine "shock rock" psychedelic/prog (but really all over the place) gem that sounds like nothing else. Both entertaning and impressive. 

Other than that I'd reccomend excellent Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come - Journey from 1973.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 08:41
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Me too, honestly
What are you missing?
Just one of the greatest psychedelic albums of all times, that's all.
Start at the beginning, track one, and continue until the end of track 10.
It's pretty easy actually.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 08:43
Why is The Beatles White Album not on here?
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 08:47
Nice list! I listen more often to The Soft Machine and FZ/Mothers of Invention, but I deem Terry Riley's In C more important...

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Btw: If you want to check out PA's Top Albums for 1968 you only get a top seven. What's up with that?

Yes, it's an awkward thing in the search options: First of all the proto-prog and prog-related subgenres are not included in the subgenres that are being searched and, second, if you want more results, you have to set the "Minimum number of ratings" filter to 1 (but I doubt it will then include albums without a rating, which thus possibly will never turn up in a search...).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 09:10
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

Its mainly because I think it has very little relation to progressive rock (and that its ca. 40% awful). I would have included them on a 1967-list and included Abbey Road for 1969.
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 09:28

Its mainly because I think it has very little relation to progressive rock (and that its ca. 40% awful). I would have included them on a 1967-list and included Abbey Road for 1969.

White album does have a lot of awful songs but it also does have some good stuff, I would have put it on here.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 09:34

White album does have a lot of awful songs but it also does have some good stuff, I would have put it on here.
Fine, but it's my poll, and I don't think the great songs that on are on White Album are great because they're "proggy". It's a bunch of tunes. Some good, some great, some bad.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 09:51
In Search of the Lost Cord, a truly magnificent album, got my vote. My collection also includes This Wasl, Electric Ladyland, Spirit, and Book of Taliesyn.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
rik wilson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 11:28
I'm going with Spirit a truly unique California band.That first album also has the contested song ''Taurus'' which Randy California played / taught Jimmy Page backstage at the first Atlanta International Pop Festival. Jimmy later used it as the intro to ''Stairway to Heaven.'' This LP employed jazz fusion throughout many of the their songs.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 11:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>