Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Porcupine Tree Returning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 04:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by mcdonaa mcdonaa wrote:

Cryptic stuff posted on social media, with a reversed/slowed down audio clip posted on Yutube:

Porcupine Tree Official and Gavin Harrison have tweeted...although nothing from Richard Barbieri or Colin Edwin.

so based on those two links, you think PT are preparing a comeback?! ConfusedLOL

Well....it seems my speculation was correct:

CLOSURE / CONTINUATION
Porcupine Tree are proud to finally present an album 12 years in the making – CLOSURE / CONTINUATION. Today we share the first single Harridan, available now across all streaming services.
We are also very pleased to share news of our return to live stages in the UK and Europe in October/November 2022.

Get exclusive pre-sale access for tour tickets by pre-ordering the album, or registering via the official Porcupine Tree store. Tour dates in the Americas and Canada will be announced early next year, stay tuned!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 04:29
Indeed, I just got an email from Burning Shed about this.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 04:40
the album is scheduled for release 24 June 2022 so hopefully I'll still be alive by then Wink
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 04:52
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 05:04
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ i wish more classic bands would get the memo and move on instead of tarnishing their legacy.

Do you hear me Yes, Deep Purple, PFM, Caravan etc?

I don’t see what the problem is with great bands making new music. I mean, sure, it isn’t the same as their classic stuff but it’s still the same band and they enjoy doing it, so why shouldn’t they.

Frequently though, it isn't really the same band. Some of these bands only have one or two original members and in some cases, no original members. They are the band in name only. Does that matter? For some it doesn't and that's fine. It does to me. Watching a band where most or all the original members aren't there just doesn't cut it for me.

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 06:25
Steven Wilson was on the Rockontuers podcast (Gary Kemp and Guy Pratt) on 3rd September. He was saying that basically every band he's been involved with is still going. The material for the various projects depends on whether he's written with others or not. essentially, if he writes a song by himself, it'll go on a solo project.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 08:36
There was something to the rumors then. I have listened a lot to PT, but not much these days. I don’t have much expectations and the single didn’t blow any mind. It sounded like PT with some later TFB inspiration from SW on the vocals. It was apparently written during The Incident era, but probably been worked on since then.

I would’ve maybe been interested in a show, but no date for Norway, at least so far.

I’m sure they could revitalize the band, but more of the PT sound is frankly not on the top of my wishlist for Christmas. I can still listen to PT and have a good time, but in my head it fits in the late 90’s, early 20’s more than 2022. But I won’t write them off before the album is out.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 08:41
Harridan is excellent!! I already listened couple times. Pre-ordered the 45RPM vinyl version as well the black LP/CD set. Was not planning on this but when I logged in to Burning Shed it showed me all versions sold out except the vinyl/CD bought that. Then PT website showed me the 45RPM set which is what I wanted anyhow, ordered that one.
I may just sell the other one, this album will sell out in a day or two, and on release date next year these will be uber expensive on Discogs and the bay.

Buy now or cry later people!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 09:41
Okay, the first single is quite impressive.  I'm going to order that same 45 RPM 3-disc vinyl boxset.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 09:44
Harridan sounds pretty damn good.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 09:47
Pretty stoked for this record and the tour that goes with it! The song sounds better than anything on the Incident, minus a few songs!
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 10:56
very pleasantly surprised given his last solo effort.

snagged the deluxe cd set this AM before selling out.
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 10:57
Incredble news!!! I still cant belive this is true, and the new single is fire. Im really suprized that Steven wanted to do a reunion, he's did'nt relese a prog album in the last like five years and I did'nt thought he was going to, so I wonder if he's doing it for the fans or the money or for himself...

(also I am wondering who is gonna be the bassist on the tour)

Edited by yogev - November 06 2021 at 08:34
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 12:45
Well, that preview track on YouTube is a blinder.

CD preordered from Burning Shed.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 12:53
Hopefully this will be better than The Incident
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 13:53
Originally posted by yogev yogev wrote:

Incredble news!!! I still cant belive this is true, and the new single is fire. Im really suprized that Steven wanted to do a reunion, he's did'nt relese a prog album in the last like five years and I did'nt thought he's going to. So I wonder if he's doing it for the fans or the money or for himself...

(also I am wondering who is gonna be the bassist on the tour)
Initially guessing it will be Nick Beggs, he's played with SW for several years now and been playing a lot of PT material on the SW solo tours. I love his playing, wondering what's up with Colin Edwin??
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 13:54
Sounds pretty good but I'm not going to fork out for it 8 months in advance of the release date, even if there are limited editions.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 15:02
Yes, apparently they are. New song is up on youtube now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW5v4Ohxk5k&list=RDAW5v4Ohxk5k&start_radio=1

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 01 2021 at 15:02
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 15:03
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Hopefully this will be better than The Incident

I still never heard that one. I could listen to it on youtube I suppose but it's been out of print for a while it seems. I can't find a decent copy for a decent price anywhere. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 15:42
Decent tune. Didn't Steven frown on guitar playing for his last solo album? Glad he changed his mind. 

Not an auto buy, but will check it out when it's released. I'm guessing this thread will reach page 79 by June 2022. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>