Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog with early industrial elements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog with early industrial elements
    Posted: October 31 2021 at 20:02
Give me prog artists that took inspiration from bands like Throbbing Gristle, Coil, etc.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2021 at 20:08
None that I can think of. However, there are people on here who consider Nine Inch Nails to be prog. They are even on here under crossover. So if you haven't heard their early stuff they might be a band to consider.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 00:19
Second side of Three of a Perfect Pair by KC.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 04:26
Arguably Throbbing Gristle, Coil etc. took inspiration from the likes of Faust, Can, Zappa. I know that's not quite the question.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 04:30
We have :zoviet*france: and Asmus Tietchens listed here. Also Charles Hayward (ex This Heat) has done quite a bit of noise/industrial stuff. This Heat themselves may also count. The later Art Zoyd have quite some music that could qualify. Some will say though that these are not prog to the extent they are rather industrial/noise/avantgarde electronic...

Edited by Lewian - November 01 2021 at 04:32
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 05:30
Schizoid Man: King Crimson.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 19:03
Coil is also in the archives under Progressive Electronic

Edited by TCat - November 01 2021 at 19:04

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 19:31
You might enjoy Lustmord.  He just did an excellent collaboration with Karin Park.  That one might be more understated than what you're seeking, however, he's done plenty of work that is less so.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2021 at 19:35
Larks' Tongue in Aspic Part I, Red and Starless.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2021 at 01:49
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

this song is proto-everything LOL
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2021 at 02:05
Ben, you may be interested in Human Being and their (only) release Live at the Zodiak - Berlin 1968. It certainly looks forward to what Throbbing Gristle and Coil would do at their most abstract years later! I'm surprised this group aren't already on PA as they're formative to the development of both Krautrock and Progressive Electronic (Hans-Joachim Roedelius plays on this LP for what it's worth):

Edited by Gordy - November 02 2021 at 02:11
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2021 at 02:08
I don't know if they actually took inspirationg from Throbbing Gristle, Coil etc, but surely The Residents: Mark of the Mole + the accompanying Intermission EP
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2021 at 10:13
Other than side two of Three of a Perfect Pair I don't really hear any industrial in the other King Crimson suggestions. 

Listen to the beginning and end of "force ten" by Rush though. To me that sound in the beginning is as close to industrial as I have heard in a prog song (aside form industry by KC that is).

Also, not really sure how prog they are (if at all)but the op might want to try Eisterzende Neubauten. I'm pretty sure I heard someone once say they are the German Pink Floyd. I disagre though because that title goes to Eloy (or maybe RPWL even). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 02 2021 at 10:26
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 05:36
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Except for folk prog, that's true. A safe bet for all other genres. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2021 at 08:39

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Except for folk prog, that's true. A safe bet for all other genres. LOL

Folk prog is covered in the song right after it though. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply